Vision Golf Ball Forum Review Thread

Hi Biggsy, thanks for the kind words and I am finding your THP group to be a
great fit with my approach and I am so happy JB made me aware of the
possibilities earlier in the year and the difference in the THP players approach
to these type of projects. :clapp:

Hi Checkered, good question and Biggsy is right in that the colour has a real
effect on your perception plus for some reason the feel of the cover being so
slick,,,I have heard this from a few players so yes it might seem that way.

Cheers,
Boz.

I keep reading about charging the cover for it to "glow". Can these be charged in artifical light, or must they be charged in direct sunlight? Just curious, but if they charge with flashlights and such that could be a real benefit IMO.

MAN, I want some of these.
I quickly glanced at the site (at work) provided where they're available in the States, but didn't see them.

Some really great reviews coming in so far on these balls. Man, those dudes look bright. Big thanks for the vid's especially and thanks Vision Golf for allowing us a peek at these.

I keep reading about charging the cover for it to "glow". Can these be charged in artifical light, or must they be charged in direct sunlight? Just curious, but if they charge with flashlights and such that could be a real benefit IMO.

DawgDaddy, they can be charged with normal household lights, however they respond a lot better to fluorescent globes and similar to daylight. I created my photos by putting them in a shiny silver bowl and putting them under the rangehood in the kitchen. A few minutes there and they are glowing very nicely.
4c30c8d47f1930cf438b91aba0b85f9c.jpg

MAN, I want some of these.
I quickly glanced at the site (at work) provided where they're available in the States, but didn't see them.

i didnt see them on the site either, only 3 balls on their site but none of these that are being tested

DD I would think just being in your presence would be enough to make them glow. :)

I'd like to know a bit more about thin cover/pro tour spin. Are these urethane covers? If not, how does the spin compare to a urethane covered ball?

I'd like to know a bit more about thin cover/pro tour spin. Are these urethane covers? If not, how does the spin compare to a urethane covered ball?

That's what I'm most looking forward to finding out. But I got the 'Advance Game Improvement' set. So I'm expecting these to not spin as much. I'll know more Friday night... But I'm all about getting the ball in the hole faster and if these do that... I'm in...

I also putted and chipped around my mancave last night and I really like the 'click' I get with these balls. If you're a player who likes a good sound off the club face... check 'em out. Also not 'marshmellowy' like the TM Penta, closer to the feel of my Nike 20XI-X, but probably a little more firmer than those.

Hi Everyone,

Glad to see all the images and the video's and the initial positive reaction to the fresh style
I am trying to introduce, which I believe is a common sense helpful approach to ball design.

You all may also notice that the balls as presented are much brighter on course than indoors.

The current designs are setup to take advantage of the naturally occuring UV spectrum of light
to brighten them up when in play.

The UV models have our X factor being the Staybright Effect glowing ability, that activates when
the balls are exposed to any UV light source, this concept will eventually be spread across the
range but I am still experimenting with the effect the pigments have on the overall feel of the
base cover materials we are using.

The Gel / Pinky have a different approach to brightening them up and that is through the use of
a Super Bright second layer that effectively reflects any available light enhancing the colour effect
and style of the balls.

The X3 White Gold and Arctic are using a Blue pigment within the solid white cover to make the
colour pop then to help with oncourse location of these designs I have utilised a Golf Pearl effect
that will reflect any available direct sunlight with a light sparkle effect.

You may also notice that I have built the balls to retain their initial brightness for a longer than
normal period of time, as my research over the years has found many painted ball finishes dull
down in overall colour and brightness within their first 9 holes of play especilly after the final
finish lacquer wears off , which for some models is quite quick to go.

RESTORING YOUR VISION BALL : after you play a round with a Vision you have the option to
partially restore the FlexiGel finish for your second round and due to the fact the balls are easier
to find on course this is a handy bonus.

Clean the ball with a light kitchen scouring pad and some creme cleanser and you will be able
to polish off any slight shear spots and polish up the cover plus it effectively removes stains
and imbedded dirt.
Cheers, Boz.

This great information! Thanks Boz!

Ole Gray just finished 9 holes with the Vision balls and he LOVES them. Here he is teeing off on the first tee (link below) at our course. We have been testing them all morning and have some feedback and videos coming your way later. These balls are really good off the tee and around the green!

http://www.swingacademy.com/videoPlayer.aspx?id=9076

Ole Gray just finished 9 holes with the Vision balls and he LOVES them. Here he is teeing off on the first tee (link below) at our course. We have been testing them all morning and have some feedback and videos coming your way later. These balls are really good off the tee and around the green!

Nice video KB! I cant wait for some more feedback. I am so excited to get these out on the chipping green again today and then 18 tomorrow!

I received my balls a few days ago but have been very busy and have had little time to post my initial thoughts.

I received the X3 balls (one sleeve white pearl finish and one sleeve uv yellow)

I took some pictures of the balls and picture comparisons of the Visions alongside other balls that were in my bag. I will post those pictures later tonight after work.

I have yet to play the ball, but I am playing 36 holes tomorrow and should have plenty of time to spend with them.

Initial impressions:

The alignment aids are very nice. The large or small alignment option is very nice. I personally think that when I sit the ball down with the "<VISION>" alignment aid up, it will be a reminder to visualize the shot.
The yellow uV ball is very bright! Should be easy to follow the flight of this ball as well as find it when its in some thick rough or trouble.

DISLIKES:
A few of the balls have some minor imperfections. I'm not even sure how to describe it. The cover on 2 of the balls have a very small bump on them. I noticed it when feeling the cover of one of the balls that I felt a rough spot.
I'm not sure I like the sparkly cover of the white ball, but I have yet to get the ball outside and see it in the sunlight.
I don't really like the large numbers, but I have no problem with the scorecard look

Those are just a few likes and dislikes. I am sure there will be more once I get to play these tomorrow and I see how they perform on the golf course.

The one test I did put the ball through was bouncing it on a wedge to get a little bit of a feel for the ball off the face. I compared it to the Callaway Iz, Penta, and ProV1 and the ball feels very similar to the Callaway Iz.

More to come and pictures should be up tonight.

Ok I just got back from nine holes with the UV:X3 Yellow ball. I could wail away at it at my home course as I was in my comfort zone so I am glad I only lost one on our recent trip to Grand Cypress. First of all these balls really grab your attention. It helped off the tee, off the fairways, and on the putting greens. With that said the bright finish or glow was not an overload on the eyes. It's something like a pleasant glow or magnetic attention getter. I am a fan of the yellow ball in a huge way and the X3 Vision balls quickly warmed my heart.

Driver - I played the X3 Vision ball and compared it with the Srixon Z-Star during my testing today. The Vision X3 was equal to the challenge and I could not see any distance gains with the Tour quality Srixon. The Vision X3 had a soft well compressed feel coming off my driver. It was very straight off the tee which is something I really warm up to! Either I had my down the middle swing on or the X3 has some magic with the sidespin not hurting me. I did hook a couple trying to knock the cover off the ball but that was due to being too quick with my swing and not the ball's fault. I love these things off the tee! Great distance and a ball I feel in control with.

Irons - Solid quack or thrack sound coming off the club. I noticed this off the driver as well. You know it sounds like a duck quack but with a "T"! Anyways this ball sounded great off the metal and gave me all the distance and shot control I could possibly hope for. Nice mid trajectory with no ballooning. Again same distance as the Z Star ball and performance was equal to or better for me.

Wedges - WOW you are going to be in for a big :D with these puppies!!! The have the same tour quality spin as the Z - Star or ANY other Tour ball I have ever played. If you don't get the ball spin you are looking for with the X3 Vision ball, then it will be a total shock to me. It hits the green and sits down like a butterfly with sore feet. The ball comes off the wedge face nice and soft, and man do I love this ball with my Cleveland CG16 wedges. The Vision ball/CG16 pairing are a very good combo!

Chipping - These dawgs hunker down and bite the green like a hound dog on a rabbit. Seriously you can play any kind of wedge shot in your bag and these bad boys will perform with excellent results. I love the little punch shots where they take a quick look at the hole and then politely sit down beside it.

Putting - Nice and soft off the putter. I also love the alignment arrow on these balls. The warm glow helps me concentrate on the ball until it leaves the putter face. Great putting ball.

Summary after initial testing - If the Vision UV: X3 balls are priced in a range where the majority of golfers can purchase them without having to take a loan. They will be a huge hit. I LOVE them in every phase of the game and if I could get my lucky #7 stamped on one of these X3 balls ole gray would have these in my signature. Very rarely do I warm up to something this quickly and somehow this ball has won me over quickly. I might let DawgDaddy try one of my X3 balls or I might not. Oh well I do have the sleeve of white ones to test so I will let him try one to post his thoughts..

Note: One of my tee shots hit the cart path today and it does rough the ball up pretty good however that happens with all of the major brands.

Below is a link to my tee shot this morning on hole #1 at my home course (Lake Jonesco) with the Vision UV:X3

Last edited:
Very interesting, Gray!

Great write up OG. I love me a ball with great spin and control coming into the greens.

Great write up OG. I love me a ball with great spin and control coming into the greens.

Thanks buddy! The Vision balls work well for me and I am sure others will agree, they are more than a novelty. This product is a well made and high performing item to be tried :thumb: In this economy it depends on what price is going to be the norm for Vision Tour quality balls. If they adjust according to demand, they could possibly have a real winner on their hands.

Nice writeup OG. Sounds like a great ball...and they are visually appealing as well.

From the pics in this review, these balls definitely seem to be a "Vision" to behold.
I would really like to game the yellow ones and compare to the Z-Star and RX-330.

I did a little practicing with these balls today and have to say they are really impressing me. Here's a summary of today's practice:

Driver (for the record, I have a slow driver swing speed in the low 80's):

I jumped on the #1 tee box a few times today while at work when we weren't too busy. Each time I would hit 4-5 Vision balls and sometimes I would hit my Srixon Trispeed and/or Bridgestone B330RX to compare.

The first time I hit the clear white gel Vision ball two men were driving up and one of them hollered at me to get back to the blue tees after he saw my drive. WOW! It felt so good. I thought it might be a fluke but after hitting these balls many times, I found these balls to be long and straight as an arrow with a mid trajectory ball flight just like I like. Of course, I had a couple of my normal missed pulls and/or slight fades but almost every one were straight down the middle and LONG (for me).

I hit the yellow Proto and then hit the yellow Bridgestone B330RX. I felt the swings and ball flight were almost identical. When I went to retrieve them they were about 10 feet apart and the B330RX won by no more than 1 foot. Both were right down the middle.

I want to do further testing with this ball against the Srixon Trispeed (my ball of choice). I am pretty certain that the Vision ball is just as long as that one is for me and maybe even longer. The Trispeed is the one I was fitted to during a live ball fitting and I haven't found anything better yet...or have I? The Trispeed seemed to find its way into the woods on the left when I hit it today so no good comparison except I pulled it and pulled a couple of the Vision balls too.

Here's a swing video of me hitting the Vision ball today. I'm posting so maybe you can see the ball flight.

http://www.swingacademy.com/videoPlayer.aspx?id=9080

Short pitches:

I went out to our #9 green and hit about 10 pitch shots from 30-40 yards back. They were high shots that landed softly onto the green and rolled out no more than 5-10 feet. Since I'm not a big spinner of the ball, I really don't know how to compare the spin. I was very pleased with how it landed and stopped without a lot of roll out.

Putting:

This ball felt fairly soft off the putter but not extraordinarily soft like the Burner ball I tested once. I really couldn't tell much difference in it and the balls I usually play but it was softer than a couple Top Flites I pulled out for comparison.

I must say that I went into this testing thinking there was no way these balls would beat out my two favorite balls. Now I'm wondering if my two favorite balls can beat out the Vision balls. I really like them and would definitely consider buying these if they were available at a reasonable price in the states.

I can't wait to actually play 18 holes with them but the heat index is well over 100° this week and I'm holding out for cooler temps. Maybe a quick nine tonight?

Great write up Ole Gray. I haven't gotten the chance to play a round with them yet but chipping around the house and on the local greens I have to say these have surprised me in every aspect. The spin on these are great for me and exactly what I'm looking for greenside and same thing goes for bunkers too they are just as soft.

I haven't gotten over the look of the crystal balls and their look but their performance is just like my Pinky and Russel. I can't wait to try these out with my irons and driver but reading from my fellow testers it only has me wanting to play even more just hope the weather can perform well enough so that I can get out tomorrow. Hope to have better write-ups coming once I get out on the course.

Well I hit the range today with the intention of chipping and putting aftwards, but after hitting a bucket I looked over at the par 3 course and noticed it was completely empty. I went inside and paid for 9 and headed out. For comparisons sake I played 2 balls for each shot (Bridgestone e6 and the vision) the first 5 holes I played with the UV balls and the last for with the white X3.

Iron shots: This par 3 required me to use anywhere from a 5 iron to a PW off the tee. The sound both of these balls generated was awesome. It had a really solid feel with a middle to high ball flight and landed fairly soft on the greens. With my lower irons it would skip and stop and I even got a bit of backspin with the PW. These balls are very soft, they were more receptive than the bridgestone with about the same distance.

Chipping: These balls do really well around the green. I can make them check up and they worked just the way I asked them to. This is the strong point of these balls to me thus far.

Putting: The balls rolled well off the face and I liked putting with them better than the e6.

After 9 par 3s I absolutely love this ball. Depending on price point I could easily see myself continuing to game this ball. Once again thanks to Vision and :thp: I will have more to report tomorrow after 18 holes.

Well I couldn't wait for all the reviews to come in and ordered some myself, just got a package from Australia, off to the course.

Nice write up OG... I am going to give the Visions their first test tomorrow. Hope to play 36 but we will see how the first 18 go.

Couldn't do more than putt with them today. The more I putt with them the more I really like them. I was putting today side by side with a proV1. Guessing what Biggsy and Boz mentioned about the mental factor with the color may have been right. I really warmed up to them today and was putting much better with them today, and even better than the proV1.

Both rolled well, but overall I really like the feel of the Visions off the putter. The proV1 felt softer off the face which I'm honestly not that surprised about with how soft the ball feels to me. However, I was surprised I was doing so much better with the Visions. I really agree that, the yellow ones especially, help keep you down and focused on the ball through the putt. I felt more confidence in my line once I lined up and setup to putt, and was really putting well. Something about looking down at the alignment with how bright the balls are just helped me feel more comfortable that "I got this"...was a nice feeling. I do have to say I'm liking the yellow ones more than the white so far. I feel like it's the contrast between the bright yellow and the black markings making me mentally feel just that bit more confident in how I'm lined up.

I'm REALLY looking forward to playing these this weekend. I feel like if I keep putting how I was today, and with the feel I got out of them around the greens yesterday, this will be awesome in play.

Back