Vision Golf Ball Forum Review Thread

KellyBo;767624[U said:
]Great write up SirSliceALot.[/U] You guys playing the UV:X3's are making me want to steal one of Ole Gray's to try out around the greens. He's hiding them from me. I'm off to play a practice round for a tournament out of town. I plan to use the Vision balls today and I'll have another write up afterwards. It will be a really nice course with better greens to hit into (ours are very firm) so it will be interesting to see what this ball does.

I ditto the great write up SirSliceALot! It truly is an amazing ball and it keeps up with all the big boys of the golf ball industry in every way :thumb:

where can we buy these balls at, i dont see the ones you guys are testing on their website, the website only has 3 balls

I woke up early after a long weekend to play 9 holes with my buddy who was in town from St. Louis. I chipped and putted a bit with the UVs, but have played a few round with them so I know how they run.

9th hole: Par 4 I hit a bomb right down the middle. Left with about 130 grabbed my PW and tried to muscle it up, but I ended up hitting it fat and was left for about 25 yards. I chipped up and 2 putted for a bogey. +1

10th: Par 3 about 175 yards. Grabbed by 7 iron and hit a boomingly high shot that STUCK about 5 feet from the pin. I love these balls and how they work on the green. I burned the left edge and ended up with par. +1

11th: Par 4 sliced my drive into the left rough and had about 200 yards. I grabbed my 3H and hooked it, but got a nice bounce and it landed just to the right of the green. I chipped up, but the ball really grabbed the green and left me with 25 feet. I had a great lag to about 6 inches and ended with a bogey. +2

12: Par 5 I boomed a drive almost 300 and dead straight, I love how these X3s fly so straight and long. Left with 250 I hit my 2 hybrid but sliced it really bad into the deep rough about 60 yards out. Had to punch out and tried to get it up on the green, but punched it a bit hard and it flew off the green. I chipped up and the ball grabbed the green really well and left me with a 6 footer. Nailed the putt for par. +2

13: Par 4 I hit the fairway and was left with about 155. Grabbed my 9-iron and just missed the green right. Chipped up to about 8 feet and 2 putted. The putter didnt behave well today. +3

14: Par 3 Short par 3 hit PW and hit the middle of the green the ball bounced once and stuck leaving me with about 25 feet and a 2 putt par. +3

15: Par 5 Hit my drive about 275 into the left rough. Grabbed my 2 hybrid and boomed it to about 125 yards. Grabbed my PW and bladed the hell out of it and watched it hit the green and bounce will over the green. I hit my SW fat from behind the green. Luckily my next pitch was to about 3 feet, but I got a case of the yips and missed the put. Double :( +5

16: Par 4 Hit my drive and it was boomed. Got a great roll down the fairway and was left with 110 yards. I grabbed my AW and really left the clubface open. It landed pin high about 15 yards off the green. I chipped up into the green and misread the putt and ended up with a bogey. +6

17: Par 3 Long par 3 205 yards. Grabbed my 5 iron and hit a towering shot that hit the green and rolled about 12 feet past the pin. 2 putted for par. +6

Through 17 I felt like with a par I would have my best 9 hole score, but my clubs had another opinion on the matter.

18th: I grabbed my driver and sliced my driver into the woods. It was unplayable, but of course the yellow X3 showed up beautifully in the woods. I took a drop and don't really remember what happened, but I do know I ended with a +3 on the hole. Finish +9 which really upset me, but hey I had some good shots.

I still love the UV X3. I have only lost 1 of them which is a record for me.These balls instill crazy confidence for me and I feel like I am going to hit a great shot every time. They fly straight and are great around the green.

Thanks to Boz, Vision, THP, and everyone else involved. Dont hesistate to ask questions as I am here to answer them, but I can easily see myself gaming these in the future if they become readily available.

Great write up SirSliceALot. You guys playing the UV:X3's are making me want to steal one of Ole Gray's to try out around the greens. He's hiding them from me. I'm off to play a practice round for a tournament out of town. I plan to use the Vision balls today and I'll have another write up afterwards. It will be a really nice course with better greens to hit into (ours are very firm) so it will be interesting to see what this ball does.

Steal one from him. You won't regret it.

Played with it for nine holes and then I switched to the yellow. And I have to be honest it just didn't respond or play as good as the X3. The feel of it off the tee wasn't as soft as I would like. I personally like a Prov1 feel or like the B330. It just didn't play as well as I would like. It just didn't feel as soft off both the driver and irons. Putting wise all these balls feel the same to me nothing too different compared to a "pro ball." I still have yet to play the crystal looking ball(forget the name right now) I'll be playing that once we head out again.

I'll have some pictures up of magnolia if anyone cares to see I'll put the link up for the "pics of the course" thread

I played 18 yesterday, and it was my first opprtunity to get out with the vision golf balls. I have been having some issues off of the tee, so to avoid the risk of losing the entire half dozen, and since I was on a course i had never played, I chose to only play them from my second on in. I will definitely be hitting these off of the tee at my home course, I just didn't trust my wing yesterday on a new course. As for the balls, they performed exceptionally well for me! I launch the ball, very high wit all of my irons, and these balls got up with ease, and flew dead straight, all day which is why I still have all 6! Around the greens, I am a bump and run guy, although I have no problem with a flop shot either, but what I mean is, I do not play for a lot of spin, I am playing for the release. I did not see quite as much roll out as I was used too, but it only took me a couple of holes to get used to it, and to be quite honest with you, I prefer it because it allows me to carry the ball in the air closer to the pin. Once I got used to it, they reacted exactly as I expected them to. One of the guys I was playing with puts a ton of spin on the ball, so I had him take a few shots with one as well, and he was backing that ball up like a champ, as well as hitting chips that would skip forward once, and stop. He said he loved the way the ball reacted around the greens, and off of his wedges, and I have to agree. It has a soft feel around the green, and that is something I always look for in a ball, because I do not hit a ton of greens, I have to have that confidence, and feel fo my chips, and pitches. All day long, we were discussing how good these felt at impact. Really just spectacular. As far as putting with them is concerned, my biggest worry was how would they come off the putter face. I need to be able to control the speed, not just have the ball bounce off the face like it hit a cart path, and these putt very well. Smooth, and soft off of the face, just the way I like it. All in all, I am very happy with the performance, and can't wait to get these out on my home course to see how they react off the tee. Thanks again, for this great opportunity, Vision Golf, and THP!

Great review, yorkem. Look forward to your next round.

Played my first nine with these. I played 2 balls, the UV X3 and the TM Penta TP on each hole. Weather wasn't that great and it was pouring for the first couple of holes (pic below) and this happened to be only the second time I've played by myself. Overall though I'm pretty darn happy with the day. A few quick thoughts...

I shot a 47 with the penta, a 48 with the UV X3. Off the tee, I struggled with the UV, out driving it with the penta by prolly an average of 20 yards. They were straight though, which for me is a struggle as I've been fighting a pretty wicked slice.

On my iron shots, the UV sounded and felt great when struck. I did notice a couple times it rolled out a few feet further than the penta when I didn't want it to. However I also had a shot from about 130 I workabilitied with a PW and got about a foot of back spin from where the ball landed. I would attribute the difference in rollout to probably be my swing more than the ball at this point.

Putting is where I really dig the UV X3. That yellow just really seems to help me focusing on staying down through my putt. The Penta is quite a bit softer off the face, but I putted both equally well. I hit a few longer putts with the UV that I missed with the penta. I feel like the confidence I get standing over the ball really helps me on the longer putts.

Next weekend should be better weather so I should hopefully get to play 18 and hit the X3 as well as the UV X3. Not sure with the weather if I'll be able to get to the range during the week, but I will try.

The first hole of the course I played today:
wetcourse.jpg

Played another 18 holes with the Vision clear gel ball today and it didn't disappoint. I have used the same ball for two entire rounds and it is a bit scuffed up. I guess it will eventually make my shag bag but I hate to give it up just yet. Time to scrub it a little. :)

I played a really nice course today that had bent grass greens. Most of my approach shots checked up nicely on the greens with very little roll. It was fun watching the ball hit and stop in its place.

Other than that one difference, I didn't see much change in the ball's performance from the last time I reported. Straight and long! It is a really good ball and I've enjoyed playing it. I want more!

Nice job reviewers. Lots of good stuff.

Hi guys. Another Aussie checking in as Boz has asked for us to help if we can. I must say that your posts are making me even envious of not getting out on course. As testers, basically all golfers can sign up to the Vision Test Pilot Project via website, it is always encouraging to hear results and exciting as they are what help develop the next ball.
Re: The website only showing 3 balls. I think it's less confusing that way and also exciting when you get your initial pack. Also I personally believe that any pics of pinky and gel don't do it justice.

I see a few of you have found out one of the 'faults' of the ball........Boz hasn't taught them to swim yet! It is a issue alot of testers raise.:)

On the grooveless irons, which I haven't tried or tested, I thought a bit more laterally with them. After once viewing a history of golf movie I was surprised to see that golf balls were first made without dimples and it was through seeing the caddies playing with the roughed up balls that flew better that it was introduced. Could it be that grooves were placed on clubs before the balls? My thoughts to the spin is in accordance with ping pong. The bat that gives better spin is smooth..

Just a theory. I used to also think coloured golf balls were a gimmick and not really a good ball to game.

Any questions on supply I'm sure Boz can answer.Just email him direct from the website www.visiongolfball.com

Cheers.

Played 18 today at Homestead in Tipp City, OH

The X3 was out of the bag again and I used it for 8 holes before throwing it into the water. NO MORE X3 WHITES IN MY BAG! :crying:

I played 8 holes at 3 over with the ball and found every fairway on the front except for #9. I put my last X3 White in the drink on 9 when I was sitting about 150 out just off the fairway and hit an 8 iron fat and it didn't clear the water guarding the front of the green. Although I have another UV ball in the bag I decided to hit a B330 the rest of the way out.

I must say the Vision ball is such a great ball. I love this ball around the greens as I have said before. I have not seen any positive or negative effect on my distance off the tee with the Vision, but it still feels very good off the club. I would compare it to a distance tour ball feel (NXT Tour, Diablo Tour, Trispeed Tour)

This ball may not be exactly what I am looking for in a gamer ball, but I would not hesitate to put this ball in play. When it comes to the yellow balls on the market, the UV is untouchable. I've played the 330RX and ZStar and the brightness of those balls (IMO) doesn't tough the UV. The 330 that I have has been used plenty of times and the color is gone. I cleaned up the UV at the course today from all the practice green usage it looks better than when it came out of the package.

If you guys can get your hands on this ball, I suggest giving it a try.

Vision Straight Flight Dimple Pattern -

I saw earlier in the discussions that the straight effect is being seen by some of the testers,
it is real and doesn't require the ball to be sitting in any particular fashion to work best as
the balls are legal and are therefore symetrical in design.

I have used a highly advanced modified DoDecaHedron dimple pattern with an assortment
of very large dimples for distance and smaller ones for control. This pattern creates 10 large clear
circle pathways around the ball which are more helpful in reducing the effect of any sidespin like
some earlier designs that have already through extensive testing proven the general effect.

What I have tried to do with my updated use of this concept was to build a more efficient
aerodynamic package. This meant a low number of total dimples (more common nowadays) but
in a high coverage layout combining with the Flexigel covers Super Slick finish, to produce balls with
superior shot control and inflight stability but without sacrificing any overall distance. This is where the
earlier designs that used this technology were known to fall way short of players overall expectations.

Cheers,
Boz.

PS I will try a load a cad image of the pattern so you can see it better.

Last edited:
Eager to get my hands on a sleeve of these the ways the reviews are going so far.

I was on the putting green during my lesson the other day and left two of my Vision balls on the green when I walked over to visit with a former co-worker. Three junior players who were taking lessons walked up and spotted my Vision balls and immediately became intrigued with them. One of the boys picked one up and actually started rubbing it on his face. They were all very curious about them and then started putting with them. It was quite comical to watch. I went over and told them the balls were from Australia. They were embarrassed that I saw them messing with them and scurried off. My coach thought they were weird looking. He didn't like the big numbers. I told him I love the big numbers because I set them up as my target when I am hitting my driver and it helps me hit the inside of the ball like he taught me.

I was on the putting green during my lesson the other day and left two of my Vision balls on the green when I walked over to visit with a former co-worker. Three junior players who were taking lessons walked up and spotted my Vision balls and immediately became intrigued with them. One of the boys picked one up and actually started rubbing it on his face. They were all very curious about them and then started putting with them. It was quite comical to watch. I went over and told them the balls were from Australia. They were embarrassed that I saw them messing with them and scurried off. My coach thought they were weird looking. He didn't like the big numbers. I told him I love the big numbers because I set them up as my target when I am hitting my driver and it helps me hit the inside of the ball like he taught me.

Personally, I love the look of the Vision golf balls, but I wonder how many people would shy away from them because the look "weird" or "non traditional"?

Personally, I love the look of the Vision golf balls, but I wonder how many people would shy away from them because the look "weird" or "non traditional"?

Well at first I thought I would have shied away from these, but the uv balls really do make me feel more confident at address.

Tap tap taparoo

Great reviews everyone! STILL waiting to get mine! And very impatiently I might add lol.

I played 18 yesterday and I will put up a review on that soon, but I wanted to get these pics on first.

The only mark I wasn't able to rub off with my towel and a little water. It came from a par 3 that has a pond in front and there is a concrete wall between the water and safety. They had a sucker pin up front, that I went after and I caught it a little heavy... it came up about 10 yards short and hit the top of the wall and up on to the back of the green. This is the mark it left... more discoloration than scuffing. This happened on #3 and I played the rest of the 18 with it.

IMG00051-20110718-0810.jpg

After some dish soap and scrubbing with a scrub brush...

IMG00053-20110718-0818.jpg

You really can't see it anymore unless you really look...

More to come on my round...

Finally getting to a computer after playing 36 holes with these balls! Yes I am the 10% of the population that does not have a home computer.

I tested the X3 and the UV X3. I played the first 18 with the X3 and I am not kidding you I have never putted better before in my life!

X3 Testing

Driver: I was able to control this ball all day long. I had never been one to draw or fade the ball but this ball made it possible! I am usually a guy that just gets up there and rips the ball but this ball really made it possible for me to shape my shots. In the 18 holes I played I hit 12 of 14 fairways with the other two just being off a little in the rough. Grade A

Irons: Again this ball feels great when struck. I had no issues with my distance and was able to hit the same club that I played with my Pro V1. Grade A

Wedges: This ball is amazing around the greens. With out a doubt the best ball I have ever hit with my wedges. For me I was able to go right at the pins and knew the ball was going to stick. From 120 yards and in I knew I was going to have a good shot. Grade A

Putting: As I stated above I have never putted as well before in my life without this ball. The over-sized Vision print with arrows on both side mad it so easy to line up with my line. I would then step back look at the arrows and see my complete line. I golfed with two guys that I had never met before and they were just in shock with how I was putting the ball. At one point they both asked to see the ball I was playing. The feel of this ball for me was like no other. I sunk a 35 and 50 footer for birdies and hit every par put I needed to save par. So my first round with these balls I shot 2 under par!!! Grade A+

Right now I am to the point where I need to find more of these balls before I play my next tournament next weekend. I would feel lost without them!

UV X3

This was the first time I hit a yellow golf ball and I just do not think I could get over it. I played the entire second 18 with these balls and they performed great. Finding these balls was so easy compared to finding the other white balls that the other guys were playing.

These balls performed just as well as the white X3 but I think I was struggling because of the color. I was able to hit the exact same shots with both balls. I will try these again on my next round to see if I can get used to the color.

Overall I am a believer in Vision golf balls! If these were for sale right next to all other golf balls I would purchase the X3 in a heart beat. I would like to thank Vision golf and THP for giving me this opportunity to test these balls. I knew I had a good product when the guys I was playing with were amazed with the distance and accuracy I had with these balls.

I got a chance to play 18 with these on Sunday.
** I have the Advanced Game Improvement Series **

I have reported my findings on the short game and appearance with these balls in an earlier reply so I'm not going to be redundant.

I played a Vision white ball, a Vision Yellow ball, Nike 20XI-X and Penta.

Pros:
I still prefer the yellow...

Distance - These balls flew just as far as my 20XI-X's, (even edging them out couple of times) which have been the longest ball I have gamed. They are considerably longer than the Pentas.

Feel - I love these balls off all the clubs from driver to putter. There's a little firmness to them (which I prefer), but they don't play like rocks at all. It's like theres a firmer outer layer and a softer core. I really like it a lot!

Straight ball flight - I hit these bad boys long and straight all day. Even my mishits were turning out great. There were a couple of drives I hit that I know should have sliced... they would just start to fade and then it appeared they fell back to the left (I'm right handed)...?..? Has anyone else experienced this with these golf balls? Are they self correcting? The wind wasn't blowing in that direction... Maybe BOZ or one of the guys can chime in on that...

Wind Play - I was hitting these balls really well, so I'm sure that may have something to do with it... but these balls seem to cut right through the wind pretty well. It never got overly windy yesterday, nothing more than what I would call a 1 club wind. Even though these balls seem to launch a little bit higher than my preference, they didn't balloon at all into the wind.

Durability - After 18 holes with the same balls, the only mark I had on my Vision golf ball came from a concrete wall... see earlier post.

Cons:
Spin - I would still like a little but more spin and a little lower launch for my preference. But at the same time I don't want to give up the distance, straight flight and playability in windy conditions... can I do that?

Overall great ball! I haven't played many, but the best ball that I have tried in the game improvement category...

I never thought I would replace the Penta, then the 20XI balls came out, and then I never thought I'd find a ball that had a better overall performance for my game... but with a little more spin I could easily see myself gaming a Vision Golf Ball... I'm already talking to Boz about some posibilities he might suggest to me.

Hey guys, great posts and observations. It is an interesting point you all bring up as there seems to be many "conformist" and "tour validated" golfers out there. I personally love the fact of being different and it is always interesting when you pull out a bright UV ball and you get the "Oh here we go!" look from your playing partners.

The way I look at it is this... Using such a "cool" looking golf ball, you are indeed a trend setter. You care about improving your game and not just fitting in with the crowd.

Here is a question for you all though...

The balls are visually striking and different in appearance. This makes them easier to track around the course which is one advantage, but there is a real advantage that we need to discuss.

If a ball is visually striking, will it not also improve your focus when playing a shot?

KellyBo has hit on a brilliant point in her post above, the larger numbers gives her a focal point in her swing, is this not advantageous to concentration and focus when playing a shot? And how does this differ from a bland non descript white ball?

The balls are visually striking and different in appearance. This makes them easier to track around the course which is one advantage, but there is a real advantage that we need to discuss.

If a ball is visually striking, will it not also improve your focus when playing a shot?

KellyBo has hit on a brilliant point in her post above, the larger numbers gives her a focal point in her swing, is this not advantageous to concentration and focus when playing a shot? And how does this differ from a bland non descript white ball?

The first round I played I really liked how I hit the ball. I think I was able to focus on the ball better, yes. The second round I played, with the heat and humidity, I just wasn't into the round, and my play backed that up. I lost two of the UV X3's, which irked me, and I don't think it had anything to do with the ball. It was all about the conditions. I was using the large images on the ball as a target on my tee shots as well. I liked that part of it.

I really wish I had gotten 6 of the UV's, I will be bumming when that third and final one goes missing.

I got a chance to play 18 with these on Sunday.
** I have the Advanced Game Improvement Series **

I have reported my findings on the short game and appearance with these balls in an earlier reply so I'm not going to be redundant.

I played a Vision white ball, a Vision Yellow ball, Nike 20XI-X and Penta.

Pros:
I still prefer the yellow...

Distance - These balls flew just as far as my 20XI-X's, (even edging them out couple of times) which have been the longest ball I have gamed. They are considerably longer than the Pentas.

Feel - I love these balls off all the clubs from driver to putter. There's a little firmness to them (which I prefer), but they don't play like rocks at all. It's like theres a firmer outer layer and a softer core. I really like it a lot!

Straight ball flight - I hit these bad boys long and straight all day. Even my mishits were turning out great. There were a couple of drives I hit that I know should have sliced... they would just start to fade and then it appeared they fell back to the left (I'm right handed)...?..? Has anyone else experienced this with these golf balls? Are they self correcting? The wind wasn't blowing in that direction... Maybe BOZ or one of the guys can chime in on that...

Wind Play - I was hitting these balls really well, so I'm sure that may have something to do with it... but these balls seem to cut right through the wind pretty well. It never got overly windy yesterday, nothing more than what I would call a 1 club wind. Even though these balls seem to launch a little bit higher than my preference, they didn't balloon at all into the wind.

Durability - After 18 holes with the same balls, the only mark I had on my Vision golf ball came from a concrete wall... see earlier post.

Cons:
Spin - I would still like a little but more spin and a little lower launch for my preference. But at the same time I don't want to give up the distance, straight flight and playability in windy conditions... can I do that?

Overall great ball! I haven't played many, but the best ball that I have tried in the game improvement category...

I never thought I would replace the Penta, then the 20XI balls came out, and then I never thought I'd find a ball that had a better overall performance for my game... but with a little more spin I could easily see myself gaming a Vision Golf Ball... I'm already talking to Boz about some posibilities he might suggest to me.

Great post Couldbeu, I agree with every single point you have found there.

FEEL: Exactly what I find! They feel firm on the outside and have this great soft feel in the centre. This I find gives me great feedback on any shot I play, I know how I have struck it and where I have struck it.

Did you find a similar sensation?

STRAIGHT BALL FLIGHT: Found exactly the same. Yes they have a self correcting nature to them. I have noticed it is from the apex of the flight - so as the ball begins to slow, they begin to self correct (or straighten) in flight! This is great on miss hits, as the misses don't end up that bad (even when I cut the ears off one :dohanim:

It will also give you an interesting effect when you try to work with draw or fade. Won't say anymore but give it a go and let me know what you notice?

WIND PLAY: Definitely! The smooth coated balls are just sensational in the wind, particularly headwind conditions. No ballooning with less drag, stable flight with less distance lost.

SPIN: Yes you can. It takes a period of a few weeks to get used to the playability of the balls. I had the same experience as you did in my initial testing couldbeu. But it is more what we have been conditioned to view golf play as "hit it to the pin and spin it". Yes you can control the flight to a lower shot but just fire it short of the pin and "trap" it firmly... Look forward to hearing what you see...

Also around the green try playing "drop and release" shots next time you are out.

The way I look at it is this:

I have a hula hoop around the pin, do I have more chance of landing it in there and stopping it or do I get a bigger margin for error dropping it on the green and releasing it into the zone?

Great review mate! Spot on...

Mine were waiting in the mailbox when I got home from playing a round. Will be playing them in a 4 man best ball Wed. afternoon

Hey guys, great posts and observations. It is an interesting point you all bring up as there seems to be many "conformist" and "tour validated" golfers out there. I personally love the fact of being different and it is always interesting when you pull out a bright UV ball and you get the "Oh here we go!" look from your playing partners.

The way I look at it is this... Using such a "cool" looking golf ball, you are indeed a trend setter. You care about improving your game and not just fitting in with the crowd.

Good point! If a ball (in this case the Vision) gives you confidence, whether it be due to the feel of the ball off the club face, a pre-shot focal point, etc, then it should improve your focus in your game. Personally, when I pull a shag ball out of the bag, I have the same attitude a lot of poeple have, "Oh, its a shag ball, who cares if I lose it." Well, if I am thinking about losing it, the its a pretty good sign that I am not focused on keeping it in play.

If a ball is visually striking, and has an appeal to it, then it should definitely draw your focus to that shot.

Back