Vision Golf Ball Forum Review Thread

Great post Couldbeu, I agree with every single point you have found there.

FEEL: Exactly what I find! They feel firm on the outside and have this great soft feel in the centre. This I find gives me great feedback on any shot I play, I know how I have struck it and where I have struck it.

Did you find a similar sensation?

STRAIGHT BALL FLIGHT: Found exactly the same. Yes they have a self correcting nature to them. I have noticed it is from the apex of the flight - so as the ball begins to slow, they begin to self correct (or straighten) in flight! This is great on miss hits, as the misses don't end up that bad (even when I cut the ears off one :dohanim:

It will also give you an interesting effect when you try to work with draw or fade. Won't say anymore but give it a go and let me know what you notice?

WIND PLAY: Definitely! The smooth coated balls are just sensational in the wind, particularly headwind conditions. No ballooning with less drag, stable flight with less distance lost.

SPIN: Yes you can. It takes a period of a few weeks to get used to the playability of the balls. I had the same experience as you did in my initial testing couldbeu. But it is more what we have been conditioned to view golf play as "hit it to the pin and spin it". Yes you can control the flight to a lower shot but just fire it short of the pin and "trap" it firmly... Look forward to hearing what you see...

Also around the green try playing "drop and release" shots next time you are out.

The way I look at it is this:

I have a hula hoop around the pin, do I have more chance of landing it in there and stopping it or do I get a bigger margin for error dropping it on the green and releasing it into the zone?

Great review mate! Spot on...

Good info! I have got to get me some of these balls!

As crazy as using the number as a target seems, I swear I am hitting my driver so well doing it. I had two doglegs left today and I really focused on that large number on the inside corner of my ball as my target and hit two nice draws that were probably the longest shots I've ever hit on those holes. I always hope for a draw on those holes but never produce one on demand like I did today. I personally love the looks of the balls and so do many people I show them to; however, there are many people who think they are weird and would never give them a chance. For me, they do help me focus. It's also nice to drive up to several balls and be able to quickly spot which one is mine.

I played 18 holes today and finally lost two balls. One of them lasted nearly three rounds and was still going strong. I have shot very consistent scores each time (82, 85, 84). I like shooting close to my handicap three rounds in a row. I'm down to three more balls. I think I will give pinky a chance to shine next.

Smallville:

I hear exactly what you are saying there :D As your affinity with the UV ball increases, it becomes even worse when you lose one! hahaha... :banghead:

War.eagle

That is a great point and I didn't actually think about the associated "value" in the mental approach to the shot. It's a great point...

Do you think it goes one step further though?

If the ball is visually bright or has bold visual markings on it, is it possible that we (either consciously or subconsciously) focus better on it through impact and actually strike the ball in an improved manner?

I know when I use a plain white ball on the range, sometimes my focus can drift away from the ball during the address or swing, it seems to just blend into the surrounds....

As crazy as using the number as a target seems, I swear I am hitting my driver so well doing it. I had two doglegs left today and I really focused on that large number on the inside corner of my ball as my target and hit two nice draws that were probably the longest shots I've ever hit on those holes. I always hope for a draw on those holes but never produce one on demand like I did today. I personally love the looks of the balls and so do many people I show them to; however, there are many people who think they are weird and would never give them a chance. For me, they do help me focus. It's also nice to drive up to several balls and be able to quickly spot which one is mine.

I played 18 holes today and finally lost two balls. One of them lasted nearly three rounds and was still going strong. I have shot very consistent scores each time (82, 85, 84). I like shooting close to my handicap three rounds in a row. I'm down to three more balls. I think I will give pinky a chance to shine next.

That is brilliant work Kelly, congratulations on the fantastic play and rounds!

There will always be people that you will come across using these balls that say "I would never use something that looks like that". They are usually the same people though that would rather stay at their current playing level than take a chance on improvement. It also takes a strong person to be "different", some people unfortunately do not have this in their nature and could not handle other people questioning their choices.

I still to this day find people saying different things to me based on their perceptions of how things "should" be...

That is brilliant work Kelly, congratulations on the fantastic play and rounds!

There will always be people that you will come across using these balls that say "I would never use something that looks like that". They are usually the same people though that would rather stay at their current playing level than take a chance on improvement. It also takes a strong person to be "different", some people unfortunately do not have this in their nature and could not handle other people questioning their choices.

I still to this day find people saying different things to me based on their perceptions of how things "should" be...

I play with a lot of people locally that are very "traditional" when it comes to golf and "how things should be." When I started putting with a center shafted TM Spider Vicino, I got a good bit of comments on it not being a "normal" or "traditional" putter. All I can say is; if it works, it works.

Smallville:

I hear exactly what you are saying there :D As your affinity with the UV ball increases, it becomes even worse when you lose one! hahaha... :banghead:

War.eagle

That is a great point and I didn't actually think about the associated "value" in the mental approach to the shot. It's a great point...

Do you think it goes one step further though?

If the ball is visually bright or has bold visual markings on it, is it possible that we (either consciously or subconsciously) focus better on it through impact and actually strike the ball in an improved manner?

I know when I use a plain white ball on the range, sometimes my focus can drift away from the ball during the address or swing, it seems to just blend into the surrounds....

I get what your saying about hitting balls on the range. You can definitely look at the subconscious aspect of playing with a bright/bold/visually striking ball. If the ball draws in your focus, and gives you a confidence about your game, be it your swing, set up, focus, then you should be able to preform at a higher level. As it is often said, golf is played between the ears, and if a ball is able to get you to concentrate more on your shot (consciously or subconsciously), then your ability to execute should improve.

Loving the posts guys. Makes me realise how lucky we are to have these balls. Our local suppliers and pro shops haven't woken up yet but at least we can still get them through Boz via email and he looks after us. I must say that your posts really inspire me in my ball choice. I went down a similar journey of discovery with these balls and through regular golfers feedback I , like you, discover new things that they are good for that I can also achieve. Unlike when a tour professional tells me what their ball does for them.Tips like using the number as a focus or guide on the tee is something I'm looking forward to trying. The ball straightening technology gives me more confidence in going for that position on the course that I may have shyed away from 'incase'. I used to live in the 'stop and backspin' world but have found the drop and release more consistant and controlable. If it's on line it has a chance as it will bounce then roll. Also a comment from Tom Watson in Harvey Penicks books about being asked how to get backspin.Tom said to the questioner, "How often are you past the hole?"
Amatuers answer,"Not often." Tom,"Then why do you want backspin?"
Keep te posts coming guys as it's inspiring here too.
I must admit I wasn't a fan of the UV until playing the ball around dusk or ,twighlight golf' as they call it here. That's when you'll really see the benefit of the charging effect. Hit the practice greens and watch everyone leave while you still practice because you can still see your ball.(You may need a torch on the flag)

Hey guys, great posts and observations. It is an interesting point you all bring up as there seems to be many "conformist" and "tour validated" golfers out there. I personally love the fact of being different and it is always interesting when you pull out a bright UV ball and you get the "Oh here we go!" look from your playing partners.

The way I look at it is this... Using such a "cool" looking golf ball, you are indeed a trend setter. You care about improving your game and not just fitting in with the crowd.

Here is a question for you all though...

The balls are visually striking and different in appearance. This makes them easier to track around the course which is one advantage, but there is a real advantage that we need to discuss.

If a ball is visually striking, will it not also improve your focus when playing a shot?

KellyBo has hit on a brilliant point in her post above, the larger numbers gives her a focal point in her swing, is this not advantageous to concentration and focus when playing a shot? And how does this differ from a bland non descript white ball?
I personally don't want to look down on a ball and see anything in the way of markings or logos. I just want to see a ball, plain and simple. It's just the way I have always played and addressed the ball. I don't have any of the balls, but I believe I can tee it up that way from the pictures I looked at.

I do like the vibrant colors and it looks like they are easier to find. I've found some of the yellow balls off-putting at first, but then grew to really like them, especially when hunting for them.

I am really loving all of the feedback from everyone.

SKIM ALERT: I am sure it has been asked, I just missed it. Are these conforming golf balls?

I personally don't want to look down on a ball and see anything in the way of markings or logos. I just want to see a ball, plain and simple. It's just the way I have always played and addressed the ball. I don't have any of the balls, but I believe I can tee it up that way from the pictures I looked at.

I agree with this. I like to try to align my ball off the tee so I'm seeing as little of the logos as I can to minimize distraction. I haven't found the logos on these to be distracting so far.

I do like the vibrant colors and it looks like they are easier to find. I've found some of the yellow balls off-putting at first, but then grew to really like them, especially when hunting for them.

I am really loving all of the feedback from everyone.

SKIM ALERT: I am sure it has been asked, I just missed it. Are these conforming golf balls?

Yes they are, here is the info from Boz from earlier in the thread...

I was asked a good question overnight in regards to ,,"are they conforming designs?"

The quick answer is yes and they are on the latest USGA website list but I am running two
marketing approaches at present and as such there are two listings for Vision.

The ball designs I am using for the majority of our main markets are listed under A for
"arrow head" as in my unique side stamp branding of <Vision> and as such show up on
the first page of the ball list.

The other Vision balls will be found under V and are a new Eco/Green initiative approach
to the emerging Korean and Chinese markets that we are test marketing with the support
of The Fantom QDS Golf Co of Korea, these balls won’t be part of my current US trials at
this stage.

I can certainly understand what you are saying in regards to not wanting to see logos or markings when you line up. I guess my statement was kind of generic in the way that if you want them they are there.

Personally I do not use the markings or logos at any stage of play and for me the statement of the increased focus is purely on a colour basis (and design if you look at the Gel ball model) that holds my interest for longer than plain white.

Thanks for the input, I definitely know where you are coming from.

Some great write ups so far. I will be teeing these up tomorrow for the first time on a course I know fairly well. Looking forward to how they perform for me. Think I will be going with the White X3 to start with

Great review mate! Spot on...
Thanks! I'm really enjoying these balls... and I appreciate your feedback as well!

FEEL: Exactly what I find! They feel firm on the outside and have this great soft feel in the centre. This I find gives me great feedback on any shot I play, I know how I have struck it and where I have struck it.

Did you find a similar sensation?

I definitely had a similiar feel off the clubface. It was really the first ball I have played that felt like that and also the first ball I loved the feel off of every clubface from Driver to Putter.

Found exactly the same. Yes they have a self correcting nature to them. I have noticed it is from the apex of the flight - so as the ball begins to slow, they begin to self correct (or straighten) in flight! This is great on miss hits, as the misses don't end up that bad (even when I cut the ears off one
It will also give you an interesting effect when you try to work with draw or fade. Won't say anymore but give it a go and let me know what you notice?

I definitely like the self correcting... I thought I was nuts when I first saw it. The guy that joined up with me and I just kinda laughed about it at first and then when it happened again we looked at each other and he asked for a ball... haha!

I didn't get the chance to work the ball too much... I usually only play with the trajectory, unless I really have to hit a draw or fade. When I did try to hit shots I did find that it was easier for me to hit a draw... I usually have to really try to work the ball from right to left, but there were 2 specific shots I had in mind where I tried to hit a draw and it came off perfect. I don't know that it is possible to have a ball with a draw bias... but it almost felt that way, since it was so easy for me to work the ball that way when it's usually difficult for me.

SPIN: Yes you can. It takes a period of a few weeks to get used to the playability of the balls. I had the same experience as you did in my initial testing couldbeu. But it is more what we have been conditioned to view golf play as "hit it to the pin and spin it". Yes you can control the flight to a lower shot but just fire it short of the pin and "trap" it firmly... Look forward to hearing what you see...

Also around the green try playing "drop and release" shots next time you are out.

I'm a sweeper of the ball, so if I play this specific ball I may just need to make some adjustments when I want to spin it or adjust where I land it. In general the ball comes off the clubface a little higher so it's not going to roll out to far for me anyway and it seems to go through the wind pretty well, so the slightly higher launch may not be as big an issue as it would be with another ball.

And I might be a little off here too... but I swear I was getting more spin with the Russell than the other balls in my pack... I don't know if that ball is a little bit diffferent? But if it is I could see me putting it in play full time.

Ultimately I care more about what score I write on my card than how I got it... and I think with a little adjustment I can write down lower scores when using one of these balls. I'm definitely going to talk more to Boz and try to see if I can try a few more balls that he might suggest and look into putting a Vision Ball in play full time.

Thanks again to :thp: and VISION GOLF for the opportunity to test these balls, I truly have been amazed by the results that I have gotten!

Well folks, had chance to take my Vision balls for a bit of chipping & putting today. Sorry no photos, but I was strapped for time so just wanted to get some testing done.

Firstly I began with a few putts with my current ball, the Bridgestone Tour B 330-S which I was fitted for a few weeks ago. Prior to this ball I was using the Nike 20XI-X which was a little harder with less spin around the green.

Anyway on to the Vision babies. I have been given the Gel balls, including Russell and the Pinky, to test and they do look very different to anything I have used before. Like I said in an earlier post, visually they give me the impression of being slightly larger than a normal ball eventhough they are not. Now this either means they will be easier to focus on whist addressing them or I need to have my eyes tested.

Clear Gel Version - Putting

First putt with the Clear Gel version felt more like the 20XI than the 330-S as there was a definate 'click' when struck. I am not bothered at all by this click so long as the ball performs well and does what I ask of it and it certainly does that. Yes it is slightly harder feel than my current one, but there was no descernable difference in distance and in fact on longer putts of 30' or more the Clear Gel ball seems to roll out better and is very similar to the 330-S in this respect.

Some other reviewers have commented about the large markings being distracting. Well, all I can say is that I really love them. In the past I have never really bothered lining my ball markings up with the direction of travel but thought I would give it a go with these. If the <VISION> marking is lined up correctly the numbers on either side of the ball are at 90 degrees to this mark and so when the stroke is made it is VERY obvious if the ball has taken your intended line or not. If on line, the two numbers rotate nicely as the ball rolls. If however, the ball starts on the wrong line these numbers are moving all over the place. I can see that this will provide one hell of a training aid.​

808 Gel Version - Putting

Visually this ball looks like Russell, which is an optic yellow version of the Clear Gel but as soon as the 808 contacts the putter the similarities with the Gel finish. This seems to me to be a much softer feel ball off my Nike Method putter than the normal Gel version. The 'click' has vanished and it now sounds like my 330-S. Feel is improved from the Gel version on shorter putts as it seems to react more like the 300-S or a Pro V1 in that it rolls off the face rather than shooting off it. That said, for the longer putts(30' +), I think that I prefer the ordinary Gel ball as it requires less of a hit and more of a stroke.
Clear Gel & 808 - Chipping

This is an area of my game that I really do like to have control over the amount of spin. My 330-S will grab on the first bounce and pull up very quickly from 20yds if that is what I want or will roll nearly all the way if adifferent shot is called for. To be honest it was going to be a tough ask for these new balls to do likewise but in many respects I was pleasently surprised.

From 20yds with a 52 deg Vokey the Clear Gel, landing in much the same place as my 330-S did check up but rolled out an extra 3 yds on average from 6 shots. The 808 with this club/land spot felt a lot softer and rolled out 1-1.5 yds extra. Now this would not be an issue after getting used to the extra roll.

Same distance with 60 deg Vokey the Clear rolled out an extra 2 yds avg, but the big surprise was the 808 actually stopped about 1 yd short of the 330-S.
I need to do some more testing in a real situation with the chipping but all in the lads Down Under seem to have come up trumps with these. :clapp:

My next testing will be with all 14 clubs. It will be interesting to see if the extra spin on the 808 translates into extra altitude with the driver. Time will tell.

Will keep you all posted.

Did a little testing with my driver today. I used my Golf Buddy GPS to measure the distance for whatever that is worth. It has a feature that you can use to mark the starting and ending point of your distance.

As I stated earlier, my driver swing speed is typically low 80's.

Tested the following balls:

Srixon Trispeed
Vision Gel (Pinky)
Srixon Trispeed Tour
Vision X3 (Yep, Ole Gray let me try one)

Outcome:

Trispeed
#1: 192 (3 yards shorter than Pinky)
#2: 219 (8 yards shorter than Pinky and 2 yards longer than Trispeed Tour)
#6: Bunker
#7: 185 (tied with X3)
#8: 204 (tied with X3)

Vision Gel (Pinky)
#1: 195 (longest by 3 yards)
#2: 227 (longest by 8 & 10 yards)
#4: 216 (tied w/Trispeed Tour)
#6: 209 (longest and on target - other two balls went in bunker)
#9: 200 (3 yards shorter than X3)

Trispeed Tour

#2: 217 (10 yards shorter than Pinky)
#4: 216 (tied with Pinky)
#6: Bunker

Vision X3 (White):
#7: 185 (tied with Trispeed)
#8: 204 (tied with Trispeed)
#9: 203 (3 yards longer than Pinky)

This pretty much confirmed that the Vision balls are longer than the Trispeed ball that I was fitted to in my live ball fitting. I'm going to do more testing on another day to see if I get similar results. I melted out there in the middle of the day with temps near 100°.

Nice one Kelly.

The fact that you tested an X3 belonging to Ole Gray as well just shows that he is a real softie at heart

Nice one Kelly.

The fact that you tested an X3 belonging to Ole Gray as well just shows that he is a real softie at heart

Big time! I didn't even ask him for it. He just drove up and found me out there on the FW testing balls and offered it up. I will probably return it to him though.

Nice one Kelly.

Hey she is a real trooper out testing the Vision today in 97 plus temps! I had to break down and give her one and she lit up like a Christmas tree :D!
I have one X3 left and that little pearl is staying with me until the end. Then I will have to get me some more of these incredible golf balls. I simply love them and in one of the post above this one someone mentioned about these things self correcting in flight. I thought the old man here was having a heat stroke but I noticed this on more than one occasion even with the X3 version. It don't get no better than this. Long off the tee, great off the irons, super with the wedges, smooth with the putter, and now they want to stay in the middle!

I played 9 today and shot a 39. I hit my irons unbelievably well. I think I am starting to learn to swing flatter and I am not swinging so steep and hitting the ball fat. I wont go into great detail, but the best shot of my day was from 115 out. I grabbed my AW and muscled up. Hit a high towering shot that landed about 6 feet from the pin. The UV X3 checked up and landed about 6 inches from the pin for a birdie.

I have to say these are the best balls I have ever hit. I love these things so much and I really hope I can work out getting some more of these for a decent price. Thanks for the opportunity THP and Vision. Luckily I still have 4 of the 6 balls left! (2 of each)

I am going to start keeping track of my handicap via OOB, but I know it is dropping like a rock. Hopefully 70s is in my future

I played 9 today and shot a 39. I hit my irons unbelievably well. I think I am starting to learn to swing flatter and I am not swinging so steep and hitting the ball fat. I wont go into great detail, but the best shot of my day was from 115 out. I grabbed my AW and muscled up. Hit a high towering shot that landed about 6 feet from the pin. The UV X3 checked up and landed about 6 inches from the pin for a birdie.

I have to say these are the best balls I have ever hit. I love these things so much and I really hope I can work out getting some more of these for a decent price. Thanks for the opportunity THP and Vision. Luckily I still have 4 of the 6 balls left! (2 of each)

I am going to start keeping track of my handicap via OOB, but I know it is dropping like a rock. Hopefully 70s is in my future

Great job TH!

Great stuff Tex glad to hear everything worked for you

It makes a difference when you got some good balls!

Great stuff TH! I'm loving these balls as well. Wish my handicap was dropping like yours but these balls are definitely helping get me in the right direction.

Great stuff TH! I'm loving these balls as well. Wish my handicap was dropping like yours but these balls are definitely helping get me in the right direction.

Thanks! I know the balls are helping, but I have to give myself some credit for working my butt off to try and get my scores down. Golf is way more fun for me when Im not losing golf balls

Played another 18 and brought out the Vision X3's again... this time, the focus was more on woods, hybrids, and long irons since I spent a lot of time last week focusing more on short irons, wedges, and the flatstick.

The driver once again wasn't cooperating the way I would have liked but I'm still loving the feel of this ball off the clubface. The Vision X3 just explodes off the face as you swing through impact. Very helpful on this round where the wind was whipping about but the X3 did a fantastic job of cutting through the wind. Shots with the hybrid also had exceptional feel and distance. In fact, one of the best shots of my round came with my hybrid and the Vision X3. The wind took my drive right into the rough. I had 180 to the pin facing a shot into the wind. Average distance with my hybrid using my usual TM Burner Tours is 170. Instead, the Vision X3 just rocketed off the face, pierced through the wind, and landed atop a hill at the back of the green. Took out the GPS and couldn't believe I flew the ball 185 yards! These X3's are amazing!

This course is long (Par 73) which is why I chose it to test these balls with driver, woods, hybrids, and long irons. Unfortunately with the wind, I actually never pulled out any of the long irons during this round. However, with the woods and hybrids, these balls are money once again. I'll be looking to get out and test shot shaping over the next couple of days as it is not something I do on a regular basis and therefore have not looked to test this up to this point.

I would like to thank :thp: and Vision golf once again for this opportunity.

I have fallen in love with the Vision X3. Today is a sad day as I have lost my final X3 in the water.

This has been hands down the best golf ball I have ever hit. I need to find where these balls can be purchased as I will be buying them by the dozens. The feel from the driver to the putter is like no other! The oversized Vision label is perfect for lining up my putts. I actually enjoy putting again! The only think I would change is to make this thing float so I do not lose any more of them. The other good thing about these balls, at least for me, is that after playing 18 holes with them I feel like I could keep playing the ball. They did not scuff up at all for me. Maybe that is because I am not hitting trees and cart paths with them?!

I highly recommend this golf ball for everyone! Great job Vision golf! You have created a terrific product that I hope to continue to play in the future!

Back