Voice Caddie Swing Caddie SC300i Review

Jman

Golf Scrivener
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Way back in 2014 I was able to review a little device with a lot of bold claims behind it from a relatively new company called Voice Caddie. What I’m talking about was the Swing Caddie SC100, and it was the companies first foray into attempting to finally create an “affordable launch monitor”. That review can be found here, but the quick version is that it surprised us here at THP in a notable way, and while the doppler based unit wasn’t perfect, it proved to be what a lot of golfers could use as a practice tool. 

In the years that have passed, Voice Caddie has continued to grow, offering top notch GPS and laser measurement devices while also continuing to evolve their Swing Caddie launch monitor. With the...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
How does it read spin rate without a camera system, I have to assume that this is not measured but estimated based on ball flight?

• Staff
How does it read spin rate without a camera system, I have to assume that this is not measured but estimated based on ball flight?
As mentioned in the article, it uses formulas to estimate those parameters.

No, it’s not as accurate as a dedicated launch monitor, but like I mentioned I do truly believe it’s close enough to make a dead useful practice tool for golfers looking for some type of data feedback.

• Staff
I also want to say this. No, this isn’t going to replace a Foresight or Trackman imo, but nor should most be expecting a 499 dollar unit to replace a 15,000 dollar one. What it does do though is make pretty damn reliable data available to those who want to improve. I also believe having now used this and Mevo, this should be getting a whole lot more buzz.

I also want to say this. No, this isn’t going to replace a Foresight or Trackman imo, but nor should most be expecting a 499 dollar unit to replace a 15,000 dollar one. What it does do though is make pretty damn reliable data available to those who want to improve. I also believe having now used this and Mevo, this should be getting a whole lot more buzz.

We found it pretty close data wise to the GCQuad when measuring in the Tech Studio. @Canadan also tried it on the course and got really similar readings to the GPS on the cart. We were both pretty impressed and while the mobile app needs another update, the device itself worked really well.

• Staff
We found it pretty close data wise to the GCQuad when measuring in the Tech Studio. @Canadan also tried it on the course and got really similar readings to the GPS on the cart. We were both pretty impressed and while the mobile app needs another update, the device itself worked really well.
Exactly. I think they’re back on track reliability wise, I know the SC200 imo wasn’t as good as the 100, and the 300 had some hiccups before the 300i, but this truly surprised me, particularly in being so spot on next to my GC2 in terms of launch and ball speed, which imo are the two most important data points anyway.

For $100 more the Garmin R10 that is just coming out may be an even better value. Super portable and it even videos your swing!!

Would love to see a review on that next.

Full disclosure: I have an SC200 and have nothing good to say about it so the Voice Caddie name makes me cringe. Hard to pay $500 for a name brand that you are not comfortable with due to past products.

1625832284558.png

Thanks for the great review, been waiting for this one.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

• Staff
James,

This was really well written. One of my complaints, and it is very superficial, I really don't love the display. I wish it wasn't orange, but again superficial.

I will say the delta from your official launch monitor is really impressive. For $500 this seems to really hit the mark.

Great write-up @Jman !

This looks to be exactly what people want. While a lot of it is based on calculations if its even as remotely close to a GC Quad it could be well worth it for practice. People have to understand there is a reason those units cost thousands of dollars and this one cost a few hundred. Kudos to them for giving the people what they want. Nice article @Jman

Thanks for the review @Jman, been looking forward to this one! Sounds like Voice Caddy did a better job with this one than the SC200 and 300, that's pretty impressive accuracy for a unit costing a fraction of what a full launch monitor will set you back.

Great review @Jman. I was looking forward to hearing the full review after getting the tease about the unit.

There is no question it’s going to be a banner year for these less pricy launch monitors. Golfers have a few to choose from, which is great for the people that can’t get into the price of the full launch monitor.

Time to upgrade from my SC200.

Another excellent review @Jman. Big Voice Caddie fan. I've had the original SC100 until I wore it out and still use my SC200 all the time. Excellent products for the price IMO. Lots to love in the SC300i from your writeup. Great to learn the launch angles are so close to your professional LM, I knew the ball speed / distance readouts would be. Wondering if the SC300i requires a ball be hit to provide club head speed? My SC200 needs a ball to be hit but I understand the later released SC200+ doesn't. Hoping this new unit also provides that feature for tracking speed work without needing a range or net.

Great review and insights. I like how it's not trying to claim to be more than it is, is largely affordable (just skip buying a driver for 1 season), and provides fairly accurate information. Great review @Jman

Good stuff James as usual! Good to see that the 300i fixes the issues with the previous 300. I'm in the market for an upgrade to my SC200, and it looks like I need to keep this one in mind. It's so cool that regular golfers are starting to gain access to reasonably accurate LMs for practice.

For some reason, it appears the only thing that was really changed was some "atmospheric" deal and some minor things on the SC300i? What are the actually differences? I was talking to Voice Caddy tech support and they basically say the units only had some changes and not really any need to upgrade from the SC300 at all.

My 300 works fine and I am used to the small hiccups, but if there were a really good reason to upgrade I would go with the 300i. Is there something I am missing here?

This is a great review, James, but your writing always is so tight, substantively informative and easy to read. This sounds extremely impressive to me. To get ball speeds within a mile and half of a Foresight should be fairly jaw dropping to anyone who wants a great tool to add to the practice arsenal. It certainly has me pondering whether to update my Swing Caddie, which I have owned for two and a half year and, honestly, is also pretty darn accurate outside.

James,

This was really well written. One of my complaints, and it is very superficial, I really don't love the display. I wish it wasn't orange, but again superficial.

I will say the delta from your official launch monitor is really impressive. For $500 this seems to really hit the mark.
Yeah, I thought about what other color they could’ve used, but I fear a yellow would’ve been the only other vibrant option, I will say the orange does seem to help visibility with the numbers on the range. But, I don’t at all disagree with you.

Nice to hear a positive review on this one, which seems like a big step forward after hearing so much negative about the SC300. Now with the new Garmin unit that just came out a little comparison test of the units in this price range would be extremely helpful.

Nice write-up @Jman.

I'm really happy to see virtually pro-grade products being released at a consumer price-point. It's going to be a phenomenally useful training tool for a lot of golfers!

What is the minimum ball flight distance required to get a reading? Does accuracy improve with it being able to track ball flight further?

Nice write-up @Jman.

I'm really happy to see virtually pro-grade products being released at a consumer price-point. It's going to be a phenomenally useful training tool for a lot of golfers!

What is the minimum ball flight distance required to get a reading? Does accuracy improve with it being able to track ball flight further?
I was hitting 30 yard shots on the target mode, so it’s got a broad range for sure.

I believe VC states it’s range at 10 to 370y

Great review

I was hitting 30 yard shots on the target mode, so it’s got a broad range for sure.

I believe VC states it’s range at 10 to 370y
That's a pretty good range!

Back