W.O.W Journal: LPGA and Champions Tour VS PGA Tour

JohnnyCallaway

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
It was probably 9 or 10 months ago when I was sitting on my couch watching a little Golf on TV with my son and he said something to me that kind of spun my head around.

“Dad, I like watching the ladies play because they hit it around everything, the guys at the Masters just hit it over everything.”

I’ve had this thought on many occasions but it was quite something coming out of the mouth of an 8-year old. Essentially what he was seeing was the difference between chess and checkers. If you watched any of the Evian last week you were probably treated to a ton of birdies from the best players in the world but the beauty is how those birdies were attained. In most cases a total surrender to the design of the golf course all while relying on precision to get it done. This is not to say that Rahmbo, Phil, and Xander don’t play with the strategy, they do at a master class level but its also with the aid that if a hole allows, a long poke with the big stick can bring a 490 yd par 4 to it’s knees. It’s awesome to watch but hard to replicate for normal folk.

Why?

Well for one swing speed plays a huge role, 99% of the players that tee it up have speeds closer to the LPGA/Champions than the PGA Tour. I’m sure some folks in the forums somewhere are huffing and puffing but it’s the truth. Secondly, LPGA/CT players play golf courses as they are designed where PGA players might play 75% with all the long carries, cutting off doglegs, etc.

This is not a commentary on the distance debate, it’s a wake-up call for us weekend warriors that want to get better. The fastest way to lower your scores is not hitting it further, it’s setting up your mind, your bag, and your ego for efficiency.

Since taking the Callaway gig I’ve seen what this looks like 1st hand. I’ve been to Major Championships on all Three Tours (US Open, PGA, Sr PGA, and the ANA Inspiration) and what I saw was quite fascinating and oddly inspiring for my own game. NOW before I get going, the player that won the ANA was hitting BOMBS but was being chased by a player who was the polar opposite. Just saying, didn’t want you to think I was negating something. The young lady hit the driver like a damn God that week.

These are 3 things that LPGA and Champions Players do that we should all do. YES, even if you are a low handicap bomber, these can still help.

1. Play to a FULL shot: When I was at the ANA INSPIRATION I followed Emma Talley and Yani Tseng for their practice rounds and one of the things I loved about their prep was the focus was always on finding a full shot into the green. At no point was there any concern as to a forced carry, pounding it way down there or playing to a narrow part of the hole. Always working away from trouble, always playing to the fat part of the fairways, and always finding the tee club that left them with a FULL shot into the green. I love this. I suck at this, I find myself with more 1/2 shots and awkward 3/4 distances than I care to admit. Not effective for a guy that plays twice a month. You know the drill, melt a drive down there, 60 yards in, nice 5. #rallykiller
  2. The bag setups are built for control: One of the things I was dying to see was the bag setups for the Champions Tour players at Southern Hills. My God was it a sight for sore eyes. TONS of Hybrids, Barely any 3-irons, and the gapping was flawless. Take Olin Browne for example (Callaway Staffer #1). His entire setup is built for height and spin. “I love loft,” he told me, “if you play with too little you have nowhere to go, most of us know how to take loft off but to try and add it is not the way.” You would be surprised that a good number of the iron lofts on The Champions Tour resemble specs you would see 20 years ago IE 36 degree 7 iron, 48 degree PW, etc.
  3. SPIN. SPIN. SPIN: You’ve heard me preach that “Spin is King”. On both of these Tours spin is something that is cherished. If the spin goes down for any reason you better believe the player will find clubs that mitigate that with launch and decent angle. Hence why you see more Apex Pro, Apex ’21, 7-woods, 9-woods, 11-woods, etc. It’s not forgiveness they want, they all hit it out of the middle a ton, they desire launch windows that help them score. SPIN and its younger brother’s steep descent angle are paramount to control.

I was chatting with Retief Goosen at Southern Hills and at the time he was testing a new Epic Speed 3-wood. Goosen still POUNDS it, 170+ ball speed but he’s also a player that has always played with spin. When I asked him about what he looks for in a 3-wood, “I want it to go up with spin, not ballon spin, control spin. I don’t want a 2nd driver, I want a lay-up club.” It’s funny that with all the technology at their disposal, VERY few of the Champions Tour players hit their irons any further now than in their younger days, the only club that they even considering maxing out is the big stick. BUT not at the cost of control.
So Whats the Point Wunder?

I’m writing this because more than ever we ALL have the opportunity to look at our games in a different way. Start to look at distance as a secret weapon and not the benchmark of your whole game. Trust me, that’s a thing. It’s easy to get caught up in hitting BOMBS, I get it. But get honest, do wanna you be the longest player that finishes at the bottom of your flight or the saltiest that wins his club championship. Next time an LPGA or Champions tour event pops on SIT AND STUDY, watch where they hit and why they hit it there. You’ll thank me.

Be the player that is sneaky long and shoots his handicap on any course and not the player that pounds it and shoots 90 on a 6 handicap. That ain’t cool.

Take me for example, I chased getting longer for 4 years and my game SUFFERED. It was awful. I added spin with CSX, better launching irons Apex ’21 and a Driver that never dips below 2400RPM in spin. My handicap is now back down to a 1… and my golf swing didn’t get any better, it still sucks. I just got smart and stopped kicking my own ass.

Good Luck

JDub.

Love watching LPGA. The one tournament I managed to see in person was an LPGA event at Riviera in LA. It was inspiring. Smooth swings, incredible tempo and focus, relatable course management. I find it more fun (for me) to watch an elegant, subtle game than a brute force approach. And as we age, no sustainable way to aspire to increasing speed and power but efficiency and intelligence can be gained.

Be the player that is sneaky long and shoots his handicap on any course and not the player that pounds it and shoots 90 on a 6 handicap. That ain’t cool.

This almost feels like a personal attack :)

Incredible post, loved reading both your own and the professional insight.

You're absolutely right, of course. My golfing life has traversed nearly the full gamut. I stunk at the beginning as we all do and was a short knocker for quite a while. Then the swing became more efficient, I became stronger through resistance training and hammering core and suddenly my driver SS averaged 118 mph, and this at the age of 45. At 50, I still got it out there a ways and held a 1.2 index and I very confidently had scratch within my sights. But then there were the increased frequency for back injuries, then epidural shots. That's when my formerly shorter swing that necessarily guarded against pain became ever longer once the pain was absent.

Bad habits ensued, the dreaded arms breakdown, the hunt for more distance, the wrong mindset, a smorgasbord of bad golf juju. But when I swing to a target with a swing that feels 50% of my own, it's actually mostly full, I'm sure, and I pure the darned ball and launch it pretty much to past distances, effortlessly, even now at 53. Because that's my old swing. But mental poisons have held me back in deciphering the lock to the cranial strongbox that might release these bad habits.

The approach as you stated is absolutely, inarguably the correct way for the incredible vast majority of golfers. It's just hella difficult to break bad habits. But it starts with mindset and reading posts and assorted info like this reinforces my desire to shrink the course by choosing shorter and more attainable targets in order to increase positive opportunity.

My last time out was hugely encouraging. For the first time since 2018, I managed to shorten my backswing. Wasn't successful on every shot and those when I wasn't, they happened to be my only poor shots. Shot 76 and that was honestly the worst I could've scored as my putting and chipping were atrocious, particularly on the front. But ball striking was superb. I was only looking for efficiency but efficiency also realized distance. Very significant at times.

It proved to me that swinging within myself is more than enough. I still have ample swing speed, I just need to trust that reaching for more at the expense of technique breakdown is a fool's errand. I mean. "I" know that. I just need subconscious me to fall in line.

Great post bud, got the wheels turning.

I enjoy watching LPGA golf and agree that our swing speeds are closer to theirs and some of the Champions Tour players.

Ona related note, I’m headed to watch the US Senior Women’s Open here in CT this weekend.

Can’t wait to see how the women handle Brooklawn C.C. I played it a couple of times as a kid, in Jr. Golf events. It’s a great older track and over the years has hosted the 1974 Junior Amateur, 1979 Women’s US Open, 1987 US Senior Open and 2003 US Girls Junior.

Should be a fun time. It’s only 20 mins from my house and, for $20, you can’t beat the price of admission.

Hoping Annika makes the cut… I really want to see her play but can’t get there until Saturday!!! Also in the field… Laura Davies, Juli Inkster, Laura Baugh, JoAnne Carner & Jan Stephenson… to name a few.

I am loving my #TeamHeadcovers setup right now for The Morgan Cup with a 3, 5, & 7 wood for that very reason. They are all so high launching and playable. They stop on the greens as well. I am still getting used to my irons though. They launch as GI irons promise, but do not spin much and I am seeing the dreaded fliers and roll off the back of the green shots that hurt for a player of my skill. I hate landing on the green and not ending up on the green. Tough pill to swallow.

Great post and I agree 100%. The LPGA game is much closer to regular people golf then the PGA will ever be.

I agree completely, with every aspect. I've said it before on this very forum, the LPGA represents a closer match to the games of us jokers on THP than the guys like Rahm, DJ and Rory. I also want a full swing into a green, so I use a lot of irons off the tee. I don't hit it far enough, nor straight enough, to be having simple chips from the perfect angle, even as short a course I play.

JDub.

How about be the person that isn't very long but shoots his handicap on any course (and is a low handicap).

How about be the person that isn't very long but shoots his handicap on any course (and is a low handicap).
That person is a GOD

It's amazingly true what's being said here. I especially like the rule #1 of playing to a full shot. Here's my example. On my home course, the back 9 tends to be a risk/reward 9. Lots of chances to go for it, but if you don't pull it off then the dreaded bogey comes into play. I tend to shoot an average of 38 on that nine, going for some, not for others....But last week we have a league night of "irons only" on that back nine. I lay up off the tee, just always in play. To make a long story short, I shoot an easy 35 that could have been 33,34 without a couple missed putts.
Staying in play off the tee, and having full shots is the key. Amazing. Thanks @JohnnyCallaway for the reminder!

Back