Walkers - Ping Hoofer Lite or Sun Mountain 2.5?

-CJ-

Reaction score
Handicap
My Swing
I have played around in store with the majority of the stand bags and have narrowed it down to 3, The regular Ping Hoofer (heaviest), Hoofer Lite, and the Sun Mountain 2.5+(lightest). As those three feel like they have a good balance when just using one strap, have very comfy straps, and most important are not fiddly straps. Main reason I am looking to dump my current bag, everything is great with it, but futzing around with the straps (especially after a bad shot) is testing my ability to not throw it in the water hazard.

Looking for the general consensus from folks that have used, are using, or have tried these bags.

I just found a sun mountain three 5 for $129. Should I add this into consideration, even though I have excluded the non lite hoofer from the list?

Last edited:
Don't leave out OGIO in the convo.....

I have the 2.5+ and the Hoofer lite. I like the 2.5+ better because for me it's easier to get the clubs in and out of the bag.

I would throw in the Cobra Ultralite for $129

Picked one up and I can get a good amount in - still lightweight easy to carry

The Srixon Z85 carry bag we just received is ridiculously light, carries well and has ample room for everything needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a lightweight callaway bag when it's going to be a warm one. I'd look to see how the bag separates your clubs then choose from there. If you don't mind a 3-top you can go super light

Don't leave out OGIO in the convo.....

I will revisit OGIO again but if I recall I didn't like the straps

I have the 2.5+ and the Hoofer lite. I like the 2.5+ better because for me it's easier to get the clubs in and out of the bag.

I didn't think of testing that. Thank you! my current bag gets a case of the club tangle, but not enough that thought to add it to the check list.

I would throw in the Cobra Ultralite for $129 Picked one up and I can get a good amount in - still lightweight easy to carry

Another one I need to revisit. The strap twist on an empty bag is what ruled it out for me. But I think it was cobra's waterproof one.

The Srixon Z85 carry bag we just received is ridiculously light, carries well and has ample room for everything needed.

I have not tried that one yet, thank you.

I use a lightweight callaway bag when it's going to be a warm one. I'd look to see how the bag separates your clubs then choose from there. If you don't mind a 3-top you can go super light

Looks like I will need to test out the club tangle. I wasn't overly impressed with the straps on the Callaway's.

I forgot to add;

I don't put much in the bag when I play. Just 6 balls, 5 tee's, pitch repair, wallet, keys, phone, towel, club brush, large bottle of water, Cliff bar, and a spare glove.

Now that it is still cold I wear a pack-able down jacket that I could fit into the ball pocket when I get warm (I do put it in the large pocket). If rain is in the forecast I will pack a portable umbrella, bag cover, and a rain jacket.

That's pretty much it.

So really my main concerns are EASY comfortable straps and a good one shoulder balance for when I hit a fat shot that only dribbles out 50 yards. Sadly that's been happening more than I would like :banghead:

For walkers, in my opinion as a HS coach, there is PING, then there is everything else.

Went from Ping to Sun Mountain as clubs tangled a lot less.

Went from Ping to Sun Mountain as clubs tangled a lot less.
This. I always had Hoofers, but when I really started walking every round the Sun Mountain (4.5) was so much better for me. I like the straps better, the clubs don't get tangled as much, and the pockets are exactly what I need and nothing more.

This. I always had Hoofers, but when I really started walking every round the Sun Mountain (4.5) was so much better for me. I like the straps better, the clubs don't get tangled as much, and the pockets are exactly what I need and nothing more.

Why the 4.5 not the 3.5?

Thank you everyone for all the help!

From all the responses it looks like I can’t go wrong with either. I guess it will just come down to which one I will catch the best deal on.

My own personal belief is that there is no better lightweight carry bag than the SunMountain 3.5. It feels hardly any heavier than the 2.5, but it carries so much better for me. The straps are more comfortable and the four way divider is large enough so that clubs do not bind going in and out.

For walkers, in my opinion as a HS coach, there is PING, then there is everything else.

Could you expound as to why you feel that Ping is better than every other offering? My experience with Ping bags is frustration with how the clubs bind going in and out of the bag, although I would acknowledge that they are second to none in build quality. Maybe I am overlooking something.

Why the 4.5 not the 3.5?

It was a gift from my wife. She knew I needed a new carry bag for golf trips and this is what our pro recommended. Since I got it, I started walking and I think I have only ridden a cart for 4 rounds (all on golf trips) since October.

I have had 3 of 4 Hoofers before this, though, and it's not a particularly close call for me.

My own personal belief is that there is no better lightweight carry bag than the SunMountain 3.5. It feels hardly any heavier than the 2.5, but it carries so much better for me. The straps are more comfortable and the four way divider is large enough so that clubs do not bind going in and out.

Thank you for the input, reasons I am looking into the lite and 2.5 is also the less pockets and weight. I don't carry much, so more places for stuff isn't my concern. Went back to the PGA Superstore and saw what you were saying about the dividers.

It was a gift from my wife. She knew I needed a new carry bag for golf trips and this is what our pro recommended. Since I got it, I started walking and I think I have only ridden a cart for 4 rounds (all on golf trips) since October. I have had 3 of 4 Hoofers before this, though, and it's not a particularly close call for me.

Thank you, the 3.5 looks to be at the top of my list now, also I have found the best deal so far on it.

Thank you for the input, reasons I am looking into the lite and 2.5 is also the less pockets and weight. I don't carry much, so more places for stuff isn't my concern. Went back to the PGA Superstore and saw what you were saying about the dividers.

Thank you, the 3.5 looks to be at the top of my list now, also I have found the best deal so far on it.

What did you go with?

I am debating picking up a 2.5+ for the hot summer months.

What did you go with?

I am debating picking up a 2.5+ for the hot summer months.

Perfect timing on the follow up, I ended up buying a Ping Moonlite which should be here today or tomorrow.

I was waiting to find a great deal on the SM2.5, nothing "great" popped up. I almost Bought the past season SM 3.5 for $129, it's a great bag (and price) but for me it just seemed too much bag that I would fill with stuff I don't need to carry.

Last edited:
The Ping Moonlite came in. Have not gotten the chance to take it on the course yet, but so far it seems like the perfect bag for me. Don't know yet if I will a stand. The straps seem really good, and after about 20 test mountings with the bag loaded there is no fiddling with the straps they just go right on.

Right amount of pockets and pocket size, so far fits 13 clubs (lost my 7i last week) no tangle, freakishly light, and takes up no space in the trunk. Rain this week in the forecast so don't know when I will be able to use it properly.

Was able to take it out on a Par 3 course on a horribly humid day. So far the straps are spot on, really comfortable and extremely easy to mount, just goes on with easy. The "standing up" main strap is a genius idea, and the water bottle pocket is in the perfect spot to grab while walking. Also easy to reach the main storage while walking to grab another ball because you shanked one into the water.

I need to play 18 before I give it the CJ stamp of awesomeness, need to test the amount of club tangle with a full set for a full round, also so far I'm not missing not having a stand but will need a full round for confirmation.

I will post a few pictures next time I am out on the course.

Sorry for my lack of photography skills.

Attachments

• IMG_2157.jpg
    IMG_2157.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2155.jpg
    IMG_2155.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2156.jpg
    IMG_2156.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 14
After a hot, humid and super sweaty round of 18 yesterday I have come to the conclusion this is the bag for me. Almost perfect.

Awesome Sauce;
*Without fail reach left hand back and the second strap is perfectly right there for easy mount, and no issues with a one strap carry.
*Speaking of straps, for such a sweaty day Ping did some magic, comfy and cool plus didn't seem to soak up any perspiration.
*I do not miss having a stand, yes its nice to have, but I am good without it.
*Water proof belly kept my grips dry as a bone, as the dew and humidity was in full force.
*Because I have caught a case of the HOOKS, I lost many balls during the round. All the pockets/storage are a simple reach while walking to grab a ball without even looking.

The reason "Almost" is added before perfect;
*Cotton club head covers and your club towel will get a tad wet by the end of the round. For me nothing of concern or seems like it will cause any issue. Actually liked a slightly wet towel for the clubs and ball cleaning, so I think that should be in the Awesome Sauce section.
*Yes club tangle does happen a few times, not enough or annoying for it to be an issue. As when it does happen a quick shake sorts it out.

Next test I will try is if this bag can work on a back of a cart for a round. New courses I go to for the first time I do ride.

Last round I played just 9 but decided to load it up with as much stuff as it would fit. Well it is amazing the amount of things one can cram in it, now when filled to the brim it does become a challenge when you need to get something out, but it was just a test and not something one would actually do.

I am in love with the straps! So comfy, easy to mount, and balance the load so well you don't even notice the bag is there. Also club chatter is at a minimum because the balance is perfect, and I think a good weaving of the towel between the irons will almost eliminate the little chatter that is left.

Still amazed that the 2 way opening with 13 clubs and a thick arse super stroke putter grip, that I have way less club tangle than my 7 way stand bag.

Back