Walking to Cart Before Others Finish?

Usually I wait but this Covid play and leaving the flag in has caused me to walk away more. Combine that with walking more I like the extra time it gives me to get to the next tee box when the rest have carts.

I feel like if its just you and another person.....it could be rude. If theres more than 2 people playing??? Not sure i care too much. I dont think i see it as disrespectful. Ive even done this from time to time to try and send a subtle message that our group is playing a bit slow and we need to pick up the pace a bit. Passive aggressive? maybe....maybe not. lol

It shows poor form and a selfish attitude. I can't imagine being that much in a hurry where I couldn't stay for a few more seconds for the group to finish. A lot of times if I am finished before the others, i will look around and pick up clubs or whatever is laying around to make sure something isnt left behind.

I can't say I've never done it or won't again but it'll be more than exceedingly rare that I do it. I may wait off the green in the direction of the cart but I'm not turning my back on the guys finishing the hole.

Even if someone is being deliberate, I see it as an application of the Golden Rule: Do onto others etc. I wouldn't want people doing that to me.

I'd be shocked if I did this. I'm rarely in a hurry so I'm sure I would wait until everyone putts out.

I'm sure I've done this occasionally and I'm sure my playing partners have too. There's no disrespect or malice intended when I do it and I don't hold it against anyone for doing it if they are playing with me. I don't see what the big deal is *shrug* (haven't listened to the segment to hear the arguments)

I said it in the podcast thread. I would not be offended, but I would think it kind of strange. I can't think that I have ever done this.

I have seen it happen in match play events on tour though. It is kind of a strategy I guess. Make your putt then walk off to add pressure to your opponent to make their's.

That may be an add on question. Is it ok if it is in competition and you are trying to create an edge or apply some gamesmanship.

My groups typically punish/police this kind of behavior. So before this Covid stuff, you walk off without a good reason, we call you out and give you pin duty the rest of the round. That sort of thing.

Last edited:
I wait, but if we are in a match and the hole is decided and you are still putting I ain't waiting.

I've never put any thought into possibly being offended by it when somebody else does it. I guess I need to quit being so IDGAF and start looking harder for things to be offended by.

Like a lot of things, I think context matters.

Depends. I would like to stick around and make sure nothing is left behind; however, if we are falling behind pace I'm going to the cart.

If walking I'll head towards my bag since it takes longer between holes.

I'm not an inconsiderate golfer by any stretch, but I have picked up my holed putt, and walked to the cart, or my trolley while other's are finishing up. Done this a few times. Seen it done more than a few times. When others do it to me, it's no big deal. I don't even think about it.

Most of the time I'm just getting out of the way. Other times, I may want a beverage, or maybe I need to clean the clubs I previously used. Maybe I'm a walker playing with golfers using carts, and I'm getting a head start on the next hole. Those cart golfers, are not going to wait for me I'm pretty sure.

In any case, it's just part of my ready golf routine.

Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. If I do walk away the pin is almost always in. I could care less if you watch me putt or not. Same with on the tee, I appreciate it if you watch my ball, but if you tee off and watch from your cart that's fine with me. If not watching you putt makes me a bad sport then I'm sorry I hurt your feelings. Mostly I'm just impatient, don't get offended if you walk away after your done and don't find it a big deal.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I am guilty of that sometimes. But more often when we have really slow players in the group. If everyone is keeping pace it's not a problem. Wait for everyone to finish p.

I said it in the podcast thread. I would not be offended, but I would think it kind of strange. I can't think that I have ever done this.

I have seen it happen in match play events on tour though. It is kind of a strategy I guess. Make your putt then walk off to add pressure to your opponent to make their's.

That may be an add on question. Is it ok if it is in competition and you are trying to create an edge or apply some gamesmanship.

There are a lot of people watching on tour. Would you want to sign a scorecard you weren't watching/keeping track of though? Recipe for disaster in a competition I think.

Goes back to @Canadan's part of the convo. Can you even post a score if the person walks away before you putt? Because you're basically playing by yourself then.

I do it if we are behind and they are slow till we catch up. This weekend during cpo that I was hitting my first putt while they were searching slow as hell 35 yards short of green and 50 yards from the path.

There are a lot of people watching on tour. Would you want to sign a scorecard you weren't watching/keeping track of though? Recipe for disaster in a competition I think.

Goes back to @Canadan's part of the convo. Can you even post a score if the person walks away before you putt? Because you're basically playing by yourself then.

I don't know the answer. I am guessing even as you are walking away you can keep an eye on your competitor to see if they make it or not. It is just to add distraction. I dunno. As I said, I would not do it. Just adding a point of consideration.

Honestly I find myself doing it a lot lately.....BUT it's because no one needs to tend the flag. I do walk to cart as long as me walking is not in their line of sight.

Pre C19 I always waited on the green.

Dan's approach was the best - it's all about context. Sunscreen - fine... Some other reason - fine. If just because you are not engaged, then it's not cool.

I do it if we are behind and they are slow till we catch up. This weekend during cpo that I was hitting my first putt while they were searching slow as hell 35 yards short of green and 50 yards from the path.
We do the same. If somebody is off the green and has a long walk to their ball, we'll putt while they're getting to their ball and getting ready to hit. I wonder if we should worry about that being potentially offensive too. We just consider it part of ready golf.

I will occasionally walk to the edge of the green, towards the cart, to watch the remaining players finish out. I may walk to the cart if I'm pissed off the way I'm playing though. That happens once in a while :eek:
But it also brings up another question .... what if you're the first one to finish out? What happens to the "first in, they replace the flag" rule? Guess we don't have to worry about that right now. So I guess you might see this happening more & more with the social distancing. "I'll be social distancing myself in the cart while you finish out." (y)

...I may walk to the cart if I'm pissed off the way I'm playing though. That happens once in a while :eek:
That's one instance that I consciously try to avoid doing. I don't want to come off as pouty/sulky and/or so absorbed in my own game that I don't have respect for anybody else's. If I'm having a bad day, I'm even more self-conscious of my actions than usual, to try not to be a richard about it.

Unless its the last tap in, I'll keep watch. I will walk to the edge of the green and watch from there but I won't go all the way to the cart.

I do it sometimes, but I don't leave anyone putting alone. And by cart I mean my push cart that probably is right next to the tee.

Skickat från min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

So when I posted this question, I was pretty firmly in the "don't leave the green until everyone is finished" group. I think its somewhat disrespectful and dismissive, unless there is some exigent situation like grabbing something from the beverage cart or fixing an issue like a rock in your shoe. I was playing a round in March where I was putting for birdie on a par 3 and literally everyone was heading back to to their carts while I was lining up. I felt that was a bit disrespectful since I had to watch everyone else putt to par or more.

That said, I walked off the green multiple times during my last round because the group was playing so slowly. I wanted to get tot he next tee box and hit my shot so I didn't have to wait forever. I felt I was giving a signal that we had to move it along a bit, as we were over a hole behind the group in front. It was very annoying.

Back