Walking vs riding

I mean terrible delivery of whatever point he was trying to make. I do believe that in North America as a whole we rely too much on carts to golf. It starts with the course design though and the expansion of suburb courses.

This should not be taken as a blanket statement by any means.

I rode most of my rounds when I had an electric cart and lived near my old course from 20011-2018. The last two summers I've walked about 85% of my rounds and I prefer it. It's more social and burning the extra calories is a bonus. I average about 6.7 miles per round according to my Apple Watch which means I'm walking about 100 miles at my club each month during the season.

Last edited:
I like walking, usually. My current course is a big standard subdivision course though. Lots of long walks between holes, lots of major elevation changes. In short....a total nightmare to walk.

For that course, if there was a time to try walking again, I would have done it there. All local courses around me are tough to walk since some tees are from from the previous green, but I do sometimes wonder if I would play better or feel better after the round if I just walked instead for once. Maybe next year I will give it a try, but those carts are soo much fun to drive...

I like to walk (pushcart) when I can and think it helps me play better. A few courses are on my rotation mainly because I can still walk them but most coursesI play are too tough to walk at my age and level of (un)fitness.
I take that twitter post as nothing more than another in an endless line of judgy 'keyboard warriors' virtue signalling. Wouldn't be surprised if another tweeted that he walks to and from the course too. Yawn.

I play 90+ percent walking with a pushcart. Usually on golf trips and if I decide to play another 18 after walking 18, I will grab a motorized cart. Just enjoy the walk and the thought process between shots.

Walk at all times unless riding is required or is necessary because of course setup . And if riding, walk as much as possible. I concentrate better when I walk.

Im with them on that. IMO, a lot of people ride in carts who probably could use a little exercise. I plan a lot of munis in my city, short, executive courses that you could easily walk and probably 90% of the people I see are riding in carts and yes, most of them are overweight.
I usually walk and find them Im really not much slower than the riders are, not to mention I find golf much more enjoyable when I walk.

I definitely walked more this year. But I don’t mind riding- if only to prevent being stranded if my ankle or knee decides it’s had enough. Happened twice last year, once while sharing a cart and once while walking. So I figured a bit more walking to strengthen the muscles or tendons or whatever is balking couldn’t hurt. I kind of know if it might strike when I wake up, and fortunately it hasn’t happened while playing this year. 3-4 times in other situations though.
Even when I ride with my buddies, I spend more time walking anyway. They go their ball and while they’re dicking around, I’m walking to my ball. And from 150 in, I’ll grab what I need and walk as well. They tend to be sprayers and clunkers, so I’ll put my 12K to 15K steps on the tracker anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I prefer to walk 9 holes. A large part of the reason I don't play 18 very often is that it is taxing to walk that much.

I often play an executive course that is 2,110 yards for 9 holes from the tips and is not that hilly and probably 2/3 of people ride there. You couldn't find much of an easier course to walk. The only reasonable conclusion to that is people who play that particular course much prefer riding to walking.

Dave

I have walked for over 40 years half of them I carried my bag. I no longer walk, but take a cart. However my wife plays with me each time and we each walk half the holes. I just don't have the ability to walk and play 18 holes anymore at the age of 77. I wish I could because to me walking is part of playing golf not riding in a cart.

My home course is very walkable with lots of wildlife around so I walk almost every round. Only exception is when play 36, typically at another course out of town when we will play 36 back-to-back over multiple days. I’ll walk as long as I can.

I've walked all but 4 rounds at my club, one where it was around 97° and the other 3 was when I played with some mates that I had come and they don't walk. I'm thinking of sending my cart down to Florida with my in-laws so I can walk when I play there in March.

Enjoy walking the course, keeps me in shape

I can count on one hand the number of times I haven't walked

Even if the course isn't flat, I just prefer to walk and push my clubs around as it is more enjoyable to me

Hi, I had a big toe joint replacement back in January..they call it Cartiva.
I was able to get a golf shoe on in June and never looked back..always walk pushing my Clicgear cart...it was the best surface to rehab my foot on, and I dropped 5 pounds..golf the way it was meant to be played..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I also prefer walking while I can. At 70 I know a cart is in my future. I'm reminded of the aspiring pro a number of years ago (sorry I can't recall name) that had a leg that prohibited him from walking 18
but PGA would not allow exception for him to ride. Often wondered what became of him.

I did the quick math on what the extra calories burned walking 80 rounds vs. riding this summer means for my weightloss. It works out to 14 lbs. assuming it takes 3,500 calories to lose a pound. I did lose 9 or 10 pounds from May through September so certainly, some of it was due to walking most of my rounds. I prefer to walk and a little weight loss is a side benefit. Either that or I can drink that much more beer as a reward for walking!

I'm 62 and I walk occasionally but ride 96% of the time. This is due to both knees needing replacement.
I love it when I walk....for the first 8 holes, then the knees really start barking and I go from having a great time to hoping the round gets over quickly.
My ortho guy says I can come in any time I am ready. I think next winter will be the time.....

Hi, I had a big toe joint replacement back in January..they call it Cartiva.
I was able to get a golf shoe on in June and never looked back..always walk pushing my Clicgear cart...it was the best surface to rehab my foot on, and I dropped 5 pounds..golf the way it was meant to be played..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

“Golf the way it was meant to be played” so forget fun or enjoyment right? Just walk while you play and the rest is meaningless because you can tell everyone you played “golf the way it was meant to be played”

my old body and knees don't want to walk anymore, so riding for me.

The guys handle is Fitforgolf or something like that. So I get why he would promote walking. I’m for whatever makes the group in front keep up with pace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I enjoy walking, but I have physical limitations in terms of dehydration that prevent me from doing so on anything really above 70 degrees. Doesn't matter how well I hydrate, I had to get IV bags the last 2 times I tried walking in heat. I did have access to a golf board this year, and that was something of a compromise. Not walking all the way but never sitting.

I like walking if it is cool enough. Push or carry.
agree...
o.png

Back