Walking vs riding

Alez367

Formerly Carlos C.
Reaction score
Handicap
Saw this posted to Twitter today and it got me thinking so I wanted to see what everyone else thought about this. What say you THP?

I like walking if it is cool enough. Push or carry.

I think that is a case where the data supports the conclusion so it has to be valid.

Personally, I am overweight, prefer walking and am cheap so if it works, I walk with my push cart. Like most things on twitter it is biased and not well researched. If I road in a cart vs walking, would I be much different in my BMI or overall health? Probably not as walking 18 holes a week vs riding for those same 18 holes is definitely not enough to impact my overall health.

So to me, this tweet is like a fart on a windy day, it will stink for a bit, a few seconds pass and it has no lasting impact.

Last edited:
Ya we don't know the age of said golfers, do they have medical issues, or other factors.
Personally I don't mind walking but didn't do as much as I should have or could have this year.

As a golfer and a human, I don't like the statement.

As a fit person, and a longtime personal trainer, I can try to appreciate the sentiment, but I loathe the delivery and the implied correlations.

All for people walking though. Have at it if its your thing or you'd like the physical exertion. I'll ride.

This year I have ridden most of the time, but I do like to walk. Maybe now that it’s starting to cool off I can start walking again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He’s probably related to the self proclaimed super-fit gym rat we hired last summer that quit after one day because the job was too physically demanding. That was after he made a comment about me being overweight that morning ?

Stereotypical and condescending comments don't help his cause. If you like to walk then walk and if you choose to ride then ride. Many are too quick to judge and point fingers.

I like to walk and I'm overweight... perhaps not enough rounds?

My home course is flat so I prefer to walk with my pushcart. Most of my friends (and wife) do not walk so I end up walking about 98% of the time. One main reason that I ride with my friends is to help them see and find their ball.

Yes. Because those riding in the carts that were overweight couldn’t POSSIBLY have some other ailment or issue that has compounded their weight problem. They ALL must just be fat and lazy.
I mean safe bet 90% could have walked

Not going to judge others but I would have certainly been walking. I'm sure over 90% of my very walkable home course ride but that is their prerogative and mine is to walk.

Adding to my gif response — love that forum feature. Golf is from conception a walking sport. I’m not opposed to riding but do believe the experience is better walking. Much, much better. There are also health benefits to walking, and I enjoy that perk. I mostly use a push cart but do carry my bag now and then.

Taking that further to an opinion that more golfers should walk for health reasons is beyond my perspective. Over my nearly 6 decades on the planet I have seen the population get heavier and less active. That is a problem in many ways. But specifically for golf, if people want to ride, great. They are still out and active. Riding a cart opens the door to inclusion for those who can’t walk the course, and there can be time efficiencies. But for golfers who can walk and don’t, I think they are missing a wonderful aspect of golf. And they might see some health benefits. Just one opinion, not a judgement.

Even though I walk almost every round and do it as much for health reasons as any other, I don't agree with the quoted post in the OP. I see a lot of people riding carts as well. To state that 90% are overweight and assume they are lazy is absurd.

Even if it were true, why would he care how others choose to play golf or live their lives? I'd love to have so few problems that I'd be bothered by other's lifestyle choices.

It's either click bait or trolling, posted by a guy sitting at his computer... the kind of thing he would post on social media but never say to another's face.

I love walking, and I think more people should do it. But, at the end of the day, you do you.

I like to walk because the game is more social that way and I'm convinced it helps with the scorecard. A bonus is walking ~7 miles (~14 miles for 36).

I’ve ridden this year more than most, probably about 40 percent of the time. I played 21 holes the other day in 2 hours riding and it was great. Today I played 9 holes walking and carried my bag, and it was also great. For me, i don’t consider either (walking or riding) too much exercise. I just like being outside, in nature, and on the course. When I’m trying to run 3 miles in under 20 minutes, that’s more exercise to me. And I don’t enjoy it, lol. Even if I’m outside.

I have dysplasia in my hips and knees, so riding is the way for me. Usually after a round I am in a lot of pain. I’ve played a few 9-hole courses that are walking only and by the end I’m definitely feeling it. I couldn’t imagine walking 18. According to my doctor I shouldn’t even be playing but what does he know I’ll never stop playing.

Three studies that I know of have been done on the calories used playing golf.
In a Cart - 400-600 calories expended
With a push or pull cart - 800-1,200 calories
Carrying your bag - 1,600-2,400 calories

Now calories isn't the be-all, end-all when it comes to measuring the benefits of exercise. But it's a start and an indicator.

Walk or ride, don’t play slow.

i prefer to walk

don’t really care about the tweet, doesn’t offend me in particular

I'm maybe 10-15 lbs overweight at the moment and ride due to numerous disk herniations. Maybe I'd be better off walking when able? Maybe I'd be more apt for injury?

Dunno...

So I ride. Former walker, just feel it to be safer to ride now. Would prefer to walk when it isn't hell-hot, though.

There was a guy and his wife using a cart behind us on a 9-hole exec course (driving around the green fringe, which I reported).

My wife and I, both in our 60s, were walking. They were younger and didn’t seem to have any physical issues. They never caught up to require trying to play through either.

I prefer to walk whenever possible. It keeps the arthritic bones and prosthetic joints limber. It also allows me to think about my next shot. Never been a fan of “microwave golf.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back