Votes: 9 11.1%
  • Play a lot less

Votes: 11 13.6%

• Total voters

StLCardsFan

Reaction score
Handicap
>0, <10
I was having this discussion at work today.

Simple question, would you play more or less golf, if carts were not available at all?

A couple of assumptions you can make 1) all courses are 'walkable', meaning no huge distances between holes, and 2) push/pull carts are allowed so you don't have to carry.

Last edited:
Depends on the heat (right now you couldnt pay me to walk here)

Other then that I usually prefer to walk

Push carts are clutch. I'm member at a course that was designed for carts but I walk all the time as carts get expensive. First few times are rough but then you get used to it.

That being said, if I always had access to a cart, I wouldn't turn it down and I would play more during hot days.

The same. I walk most of the time already.

A LOT LESS.

105* degree heat is bad enough playing with a cart, but least there is a breeze when driving. I probably wouldnt even play at all if I had to walk.

Probably less - I have two "bum" knees and a back that sporadically goes out on me. I'm 64 yrs. old, not in bad shape, but when the temps hit 90+ here in South-Central NJ, with humidity, there would be no way I could walk 18 holes. In addition, the courses today are not really conducive to walking with really long stretches between greens and tees.

10 years ago I walked all the time, alternating between a push cart, and carrying my bag. So, 10 years ago my answer would have been quite different from today's.

I always decline a cart. Myself and my regular caddie walk and if it wasnt for the exercise, my wife quite frankly would have another reason to object to me playing often...

I prefer to walk but their are some times that a cart is necessary. The heat, distance from hole to hole is is long, and any elevation changes on the course.

I walk almost every chance I get, regardless of weather (walked 18 last Sat, it was 95*). So I would play the same amount as I do now.

I walk almost every chance I get, regardless of weather (walked 18 last Sat, it was 95*). So I would play the same amount as I do now.
Yep, 40* to 104* is my range I'm willing to walk.

I prefer walking so i'd play just as much.....but i could always play more :D

I walk most of the time I play so it's not a big deal to me.

Push cart ftw!

I would play a bit less. I tend to play in the afternoon before work (I work nights), I would have to get up an hour earlier to walk. I would handle the heat if I had to, but the breeze from the cart sure makes the heat much easier to deal with.

Less. I always ride. I'm lazy lol

MattyCaulk Aka Hawk hunter

Interesting this one - hardly anyone in NZ uses carts. Probably because most of our courses are smaller, there isn't the heat that people mention and not far between greens and tees.

When playing some of the resort courses we might use a cart, but thats certainly not the norm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I used to walk about 80% of the time, as recently as just 2 or 3 years ago. I carried a lightweight bag a push/pull cart just makes my arms and shoulders more tired than my legs get carrying the bag. Sometimes to make it even lighter if it was 100 degrees out or if I was going to walk 36 I would leave either odd or even number irons in the car, you don't need all of them most of the time anyway. Now that I am old, fat and lazy I ride most of the time. I would play the same, I get out once a week at least and sometimes twice or three times and that would not change. It would take me about two weeks to get used to walking again.

I prefer walking the course and use a push cart most of the time.

After 5 knee surgeries, I have to have a cart unless the course is dead flat.
I did walk Chambers Bay twice in the last 2 years and paid for it dearly for the next 2 days.

I always walk, unless a cart is mandatory or I'm in a tourney and it might thunderstorm and I want a quick way to get back to the clubhouse. Also always carry my clubs. Though I do admit that if I'm playing with somebody in a cart, and there's a long tramp from one green to the next tee box I will hitch a ride if we're likely to be able to tee off right away. Generally I hassle people who cart if fully capable of walking without lasting consequences. Carts are good ways to make good exercise negligibly healthy :)

Back