Was Adams Golf underappreciated?

Yes! My 9064LS was amazing!

Alright. Who did it? Someone sniped me on a 9015D on eBay. @Jman ??? Lol, I was going to try and save $10 and bid at the end of the auction. Should have just ponied up and spent the $39. Even had a RIP x-stiff shaft in it too. Two classics for $40. Whoever got it got a steal.

Alright. Who did it? Someone sniped me on a 9015D on eBay. @Jman ??? Lol, I was going to try and save $10 and bid at the end of the auction. Should have just ponied up and spent the $39. Even had a RIP x-stiff shaft in it too. Two classics for $40. Whoever got it got a steal.
🤐

Yes, for the Tight Lies fairways alone. I thought the Idea irons were pretty innovative too.

They made some excellent clubs. I think it is hard to be successful in that space without a major presence on tour. It is unfortunate but certainly seems to be the case. I think a company either needs to go all in or be happy with being a niche player.

Super hybrid was more than legit, infact look at Callaway's hybrid line for the past 5 years... if you like them you are an Adams fan.

I have two Adams Super Pro proto hybrids that I bought off eBay that were sold as tour issue heads only. I don't think these clubs were ever sold retail in the US. The 2014 Adams Pro hybrids look almost identical, so I bought a 20 degree Adams (TaylorMade) hybrid thinking it would match the 23 and 18 degree Adams hybrids, but the sound and feel were very different. I prefer the much more muted sound of the pre TaylorMade Adams hybrids.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Last edited:
They made some excellent clubs. I think it is hard to be successful in that space without a major presence on tour. It is unfortunate but certainly seems to be the case. I think a company either needs to go all in or be happy with being a niche player.
They got branded, and in some ways self branded, as old guy clubs and it always held them back imo. Even though they were the originators of a lot of things.

Well in any event, this is kind of your fault for poking a sensitive nerve for me. I have spent $40 on worse things. I remember the Matrix not being too bad either. Although, it's no RIP.

1585855261213.png

Well in any event, this is kind of your fault for poking a sensitive nerve for me. I have spent $40 on worse things. I remember the Matrix not being too bad either. Although, it's no RIP.

View attachment 8935031
Looks like the SIM's predecessor with that fin thing on the bottom.

Heck I’m still rocking an A7 combo set. Please note that statement is in no way a humble brag; however, when I got them, the clubs took my game to another level.

Made some of the best hybrids.

I am not sure adam was underappreciated. I think they were the right amount of appreciated. They had some serious winners especially the idea pro blacks, and pro golds? A few others right there in the 2005-2010'ish years.

But they had some serious dudes as well there are a few years with Tom Watson as a spokes person that jump out that gave them the stigma of being senior clubs.

They got to a really high point then there were some legal issues with TM, I am not super versed in those. Then were purchased by TM.

I believe after that many of the engineers ended up at Callaway. Not shocking that Callaway is on the forefront as far as design innovation.

They got branded, and in some ways self branded, as old guy clubs and it always held them back imo. Even though they were the originators of a lot of things.

They seemed to target their marketing there. If I remember most of their pros were on the Champion's tour which lends to that.

Yes, Adams was underappreciated. Yes, it had the "old person" club stigma especially due to the Tight Lies infomercials. Additionally, they suffered somewhat from the thought that they were a hybrid (not as popular with the masses back then) and fairway only company.

Personally, I love the brand. I still regularly game the yellow hybrids as well as the DHY's. The Red hybrid with the counterbalanced shaft is actually a pretty good performer as well. My 9032Ti fairway is part of my regular rotation (20 additional mph SS would really help though).

Ok, I guess I'm a homer. But in my defense Adams made darn good clubs and yes I'm still a bit pissed about the TM patent infringement leading to acquisition thing.

They seemed to target their marketing there. If I remember most of their pros were on the Champion's tour which lends to that.
Yup. They were.

But that fact was what kept many from even giving them an inkling of a chance. Then, at the end they tried to change that perception, and just couldn’t do it...or weren’t given enough time because TM just wanted the patents:unsure:

The BUL woods are some of the best ever. Great turf interaction, titanium cupface, decent stock shaft. I’d say they’d hang with the new stuff. I had damn near a full Adams bag at one point around 09-10

9016D 9*
BUL 3w & 5w
Idea Pro hybrids
Idea Pro Gold irons

Last edited:
Yes! My 9064LS was amazing!
Oh now THERE is a throwback and one of the originators in aerodynamics starts modern cc sizes.

I never had a chance to play an Adam's product, but it sounds like they were underappreciated based on what I've read/seen/heard over the past few years.

I will go a different direction. I will say no, they were not under appreciated (By the masses). At least not during the full tenure. They were probably the last few years, with some of the stuff they were bringing.

They were under funded (in terms of where spent) and definitely under marketed.

Interesting shaping going on here. Remind you of anything today?

I think Adams was appreciated well enough before the TM buyout. After that the triangle screws were dropped for the now-ubiquitous Torx, and it seemed like Adams was going to be something similar to Tour Edge. Then things seemed to shift quickly to being a boxset and high cap brand. Then nothing.

Adams Speedline Fast 12 Driver

The Adams pro hybrid was the most under rated club ever.
The CMB’s were also underrated

I dont think so. I think they were appreciated just the right amount. They made very good clubs for higher handicap players but I wouldnt say their quality or design was anything special or groundbreaking.
Some might say that Adams invented the hybrid market but you could also say the same about Taylormade.

The Adams A12os forum was huge here years ago. They were the go to brand for SGI clubs. Too bad Taylormade let them fall away

Didn't Michael Vrska design a bunch of their hybrids?

I loved the Adams Golf equipment I had. The Idea Pro Gold Hybrids I had made me smile so much.

Back