Washing a structured golf hat?

FatChance

Reaction score
Handicap
My wife bought me a nice structured Black Clover golf hat at the Boulders CC in Carefree, AZ. I really like it but prefer unstructured hats. If I wash it, will the "structuring" loosen up or ruin it? I usually wash my golf hats in the washing machine and air dry them with good results. Any recommendations or should I just suck it up, buttercup?

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

I wash mine by hand with some dish soap and air dry.

I take mine in the shower, put some shampoo on my head, then put the hat on and work the shampoo into it. Hang it to dry afterward and it's good as new.

Does that loosen up structured hats?

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

My wife has those plastic things that keep the shape...Me. I have so many hats I just rotate em.

One them hat rack thingies -> top shelf of dishwasher

Washing machine and hang to dry.

He's not trying to clean it. He's trying to get rid of the structure. I'm in the same boat as the op. I look ridiculous in structured hats. And, sadly, from my experience there's nothing you can do to unstructure them

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I have a lot of the fitted hats and some adjustable, they just didn't fit in the "hat washer thing". My concern is the opposite in I prefer a structured hat and am concerned with washing techniques ruining them.

I've found washing them and adding fabric softener will somewhat change the structured look. Unfortunately, it can also make the fabric wrinkled.

I take mine in the shower, put some shampoo on my head, then put the hat on and work the shampoo into it. Hang it to dry afterward and it's good as new.
This is the first time I have ever heard of this method. It sounds brilliant!

Washing machine and hang to dry.

Don't know if this is relevant, but I did that with a visor. I like visors. It came out looking mangled! I had to throw it away!

He's not trying to clean it. He's trying to get rid of the structure. I'm in the same boat as the op. I look ridiculous in structured hats. And, sadly, from my experience there's nothing you can do to unstructure them

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

IDK. Maybe run it over with the car a few times?

Especially with wool hats, I wear them in the shower. Make the water pretty hot and lather up. I use a blowdryer afterwards and it seems to loosen things up a little bit. Also helps shape the hat to your head quite nicely!

I just throw them in washing machine and let air dry, come out like brand new. Also spray some spray’n wash if dirty spots and also on the inside headband area.

Back