Watches and Saltwater Aquariums

BuffaloPlunger

2024 GolfTEC Experience
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Any watch snobs or saltwater aquarium fanatics on here?

Snob? Not wearing a Citizen eco-drive.:D

I have a couple watches, a freshwater tank, and a betta tank. Unfortunately, none of these things are all that impressive 😆

I have a couple watches, a freshwater tank, and a betta tank. Unfortunately, none of these things are all that impressive 😆
I’ve tried freshwater so many times with 0 success. Can’t wait to get back into saltwater

I’ve tried freshwater so many times with 0 success. Can’t wait to get back into saltwater
I’ve never tried saltwater, I just have my 20gal tank with a couple mollies, a red fin shark, and a pleco. Fun little tank.

Haha - I was never a watch snob, but I've owned 2 Breitlings, a Rolex Sub, a Baume & Mercier Capeland S, a Tissot and an Oris TT1 XXL. These have all since been sold and I hope to one day own another Breitling as my one and only nice watch.

But saltwater aquariums are something I'd like to get into! I've scoured the internet to find the best way to start and have seen so much information. I think I'm going to do a 13-gallon tank with all HOB equipment to start with, try a few corals and live rock and then see how that goes.

$$ is a huge concern now and every dime we make and save is going toward the future purchase of a home in Mexico. But I'd like to one day buy a used Breitling Super Avenger for about $3,500 and spend less than $250 on a starter saltwater tank.

This post caught my eye with both a longtime passion and a new one!

Haha - I was never a watch snob, but I've owned 2 Breitlings, a Rolex Sub, a Baume & Mercier Capeland S, a Tissot and an Oris TT1 XXL. These have all since been sold and I hope to one day own another Breitling as my one and only nice watch.

But saltwater aquariums are something I'd like to get into! I've scoured the internet to find the best way to start and have seen so much information. I think I'm going to do a 13-gallon tank with all HOB equipment to start with, try a few corals and live rock and then see how that goes.

$$ is a huge concern now and every dime we make and save is going toward the future purchase of a home in Mexico. But I'd like to one day buy a used Breitling Super Avenger for about $3,500 and spend less than $250 on a starter saltwater tank.

This post caught my eye with both a longtime passion and a new one!
Feel free to message me anytime with questions! I’ve been in the saltwater hobby for over 10 years. I HIGHLY recommend an innovative marine aquarium as the HOB stuff is not a good choice for saltwater.

As for the Breitling, that is a great choice!

I can't afford to be a watch snob. I wear what I can afford. for some reason, larger chronographs appeal to me. Multiple dials in the face... Citizen, Seiko, and Bulova are what I've got. I wouldn't mind a Ball but can't justify the price.

I had a 55 gallon salt tank for a few years, a long time ago. But after a couple of catastrophic failures and several hundred dollars of dead fish, I got out of it.
But....that desire has been creeping back into my thoughts. I have been doing a lot of research on the new equipment and am leaning towards getting the Fluval 32.5 gal Flex tank.
It's an all in one with lighting and filtering. Just have to add a heater and maybe a wave maker for more circulation for the corals.

Watches and salt-water aquariums. Now that is an interesting pairing....

Someday I’ll get into saltwater aquariums. When I have the time and money.

Brace yourself, Margaret. Drumroll....Seiko Kinetic. I like it because it is light and made of Titanium like a driver. :)
Most I ever spent on a watch and I think it was sub $400. Haven't worn it for...you guessed it. 5 years. Just gave it some shakes to get it going again and it started right back up. I'll be here "shaking my watch" the rest of the night if you need me... :ROFLMAO:
I tend to be drawn to Japanese things for some reason, yet no Japanese clubs? (5 minutes later realizes irons and driver) ooof....:ROFLMAO::sleep:
Had a Korean girlfriend. She hot. :love: That didn't work out. :unsure::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I am not a watch snob but I do like watches. I have a couple of Tags and an Oris Williams F1. The Oris is the newest at 15 years old and the Tags are both 25+. I think about getting something else but lately I wear my Apple Watch as much as the other watches so it is hard to justify.

Love me some nice timepieces . Have a sweet freshwater aquarium set up which I’m transitioning into a bigger tank as my fish sprouted like crazy

Am I missing something? How do these things go hand in hand?

I own a few watches. A SS Sub, a TT Sub (blue,) a YM2 Yellow Gold, a Milgauss, and I've been eyeballing a batman for a while. Also a couple of Tissot T Touch models which I love when I'm traveling.

Snob, no? But I like watches.

Am I missing something? How do these things go hand in hand?

I own a few watches. A SS Sub, a TT Sub (blue,) a YM2 Yellow Gold, a Milgauss, and I've been eyeballing a batman for a while. Also a couple of Tissot T Touch models which I love when I'm traveling.

Snob, no? But I like watches.

Still saving for my first Rolex. Looking at an OP39 grape. After that I’m going for a Pepsi

Feel free to message me anytime with questions! I’ve been in the saltwater hobby for over 10 years. I HIGHLY recommend an innovative marine aquarium as the HOB stuff is not a good choice for saltwater.

As for the Breitling, that is a great choice!
Thanks for that! I read that a drilled, reef ready aquarium with sump pump is the best for saltwater, but I want to start small and as inexpensively as possible. The all-in-one cubes can be had used for a decent price. What do you think of those?

I appreciate nice watches, nothing more than middle of the road. Maybe a Tag... I feel like now with the mass development of smart watches the stigma of watches is gone in most worlds. CFOs and CEOs are showing off their iwatch more than rolex during meetings.

It would be curious to see how many people wear a watch vs smartwatch.

I thought this thread was going to ask for the best watches to use when cleaning saltwater aquariums :)

I had a sea horse tank for a number of years which is really my only 'delve' into salt water aquaria. Those things are amazing creatures but I pretty much came to the conclusion they aren't very suitable to an aquarium existence. Very difficult to keep healthy. I have had several 100 gallon freshwater tanks in the past - at least one with tiger oscars which look prehistoric to me. I used to feed mine insects, crawdads, even frozen mice. They are crazy smart and aggressive fish. I had one that would bump the tank when he wanted something to eat. :oops:

Got a Rolex, a Tag and a limited edition Tissot, also got a smartwatch that was a freebie with a phone but can't remember the last time I wore it

And then my Garmin golf watch

Thanks for that! I read that a drilled, reef ready aquarium with sump pump is the best for saltwater, but I want to start small and as inexpensively as possible. The all-in-one cubes can be had used for a decent price. What do you think of those?
I have had both and I definitely love having a sump but honestly anything 30 gallons or less I think an all in one (without any lights) is by far the best option. Innovative marine has the best all in one systems. I recommend the 10 gallon or 20 gallon fusion. They cost from $100-300 and a separate light would cost around $130-200 and you’ll be good to go.

Got a Rolex, a Tag and a limited edition Tissot, also got a smartwatch that was a freebie with a phone but can't remember the last time I wore it

And then my Garmin golf watch
I rarely wear my Apple Watch. I’m currently chasing a Tag Heuer Carbon Edition. Saw one in Toronto and loved it but I didn’t have the means to purchase it at the time.

I have had both and I definitely love having a sump but honestly anything 30 gallons or less I think an all in one (without any lights) is by far the best option. Innovative marine has the best all in one systems. I recommend the 10 gallon or 20 gallon fusion. They cost from $100-300 and a separate light would cost around $130-200 and you’ll be good to go.
That sounds doable! Do they come with protein skimmers? Can you recommend a light that is good with coral and live rock?

We're in an apartment now but when we buy a forever home down the road, I'd love to get a nice reef ready show tank! The entry tank will give me some good experience I hope 👍

Back