Way to detect refurbished golf balls

AUWU11

Reaction score
Handicap
7.2 GHIN
I bought two dozen used 2020 AVX on eBay for $50 (plus $8 shipping). They were described as Mint/5A. They arrived, and they look phenomenal. Can’t tell they are used whatsoever. Almost makes me paranoid that they are refurbished or something, because I’ve bought used mint/5a online before, and have never seen any look this mint and new. Seems almost too good of a deal.. am I overthinking it? Or should I be concerned? Any way to detect if a ball is refurbished?

I wouldn't worry about it to much unless you really notice a performance issue.

I'd say you're overthinking it. I do believe that refurbished balls are required to be marked as such (by law?) so if you bought from a reputable seller, it's safe to assume you're good to go.

Yeah it’s law that they must be marked. I think this guy I bought from just does this on the side. It wasn’t a retailer type of used ball company like LostGolfBalls.com or one of those. All of his seller reviews on eBay are very positive.

I will never buy used balls for game play ever again.
I did it once and got a bucket of crap.

I will never buy used balls for game play ever again.
I did it once and got a bucket of crap.

eBay or reputable seller? Hate to hear that...I haven’t had nothing but good things from some of the sellers on eBay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many refurbished balls have been repainted. I really like the Pro V1 refurbished balls from Hit Me Again I bought for $20 a dozen at WalMart. They are probably a couple of years old, but they play and look just like new. Here is a video by Rick Shiels where he compared refurbished Pro V1 balls to new.

I have a weekend house on a lake that has a golf course that is notorious for stealing balls. One of the rangers there does the job for free as long as he can "hunt balls" during and after his shift. Last year he sold 50k balls. Yes you read it right 50,000. The buyer buys in bulk 25 cents for premium and 15 cents for "others", on the hoof, dirty etc.
Sometimes the buyer gives him a few dozen of the premiums just to keep him happy. Most are new.

I have a weekend house on a lake that has a golf course that is notorious for stealing balls. One of the rangers there does the job for free as long as he can "hunt balls" during and after his shift. Last year he sold 50k balls. Yes you read it right 50,000. The buyer buys in bulk 25 cents for premium and 15 cents for "others", on the hoof, dirty etc.
Sometimes the buyer gives him a few dozen of the premiums just to keep him happy. Most are new.
Are you saying the ranger will pick up balls on the course while people are playing?

They say SECOND CHANCE on the side

i mean part of me says their just golf balls, the other part says have you ever bought used balls? no..

IOf i play a bal 18 holes, i toss it, it used and done

Let's assume he gets an average of $.20 a ball. At 50,000 balls, that's $10,000. He would only have to make $192 a week to equal that amount as a ranger, and that's without having to hunt for 50,000 balls before and after his shift.

I wonder if its worth it.

For the record, here are pics of the balls I bought. I’ve bought used balls before and never had trouble, which is why I bought these. Hard to pay $48/dozen new when I got these two dozen for $58 all in, and I just play with the boys once a week or so. Still competitive, but not like I’m teeing these up at The Masters or something..

Attachments

• 906CB83C-00ED-40B7-B06B-6DE556B3F5FC.jpeg
    906CB83C-00ED-40B7-B06B-6DE556B3F5FC.jpeg
    59.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 0B5704BF-7499-41CE-A819-193B2D71E15E.jpeg
    0B5704BF-7499-41CE-A819-193B2D71E15E.jpeg
    64.1 KB · Views: 11
Easy rule of thumb...

Used? Ok. If in pristine shape.

Refurbished? Do NOT buy.

Lots of reasons but sitting in a lake for a year or two should top your list.

Or best yet, find a ball deal out there? It’s the best of both worlds. Last years brand new “XYZ2fourX”.

They’ll be ok, and can be found from $12.00-$30.00 a dozen.

I’m not a good golfer anymore but playing the best ball for my game? It means a lot. Probably mainly confidence wise, but I’d rather play the best ball.

As others have said, I believed it has to be stamped on the ball if it is refurbished. I have never bought used or refurbished balls but will keep and play good used balls I find but will leave any ball stamped as refurbished for somebody else if they so desire.

Back