Ways to make MLB better: Idea #8: Are MLB ballparks too small?

I dont think making the field bigger would be the solution to that. I think they rule putting a ban on the shifting will help this actually because the analytics for batters will improve their hit percentage on normal batted balls. Thus giving incentive that a Homerun swing isnt always necessary.

I hope so. But with the shift they were just giving guys hits if they would just take them. And they still wouldn't hit it the other way. A home run swing seems to be the only thing.

Man I miss watching Tony Gwynn hit.

Doesn't it seem like forever ago the Giants won all those WS titles?
Since 1988 the Giants have won 3 titles to the Dodgers 2. I am an Astros fan so I won't play the asterisk game with the 2nd coming in the Pandemic year. I can totally see both sides to the argument of who is more successful. The way I look at it....The Giants have over achieved in the last 15 years and the Dodgers have under achieved.

Since 1988 the Giants have won 3 titles to the Dodgers 2. I am an Astros fan so I won't play the asterisk game with the 2nd coming in the Pandemic year. I can totally see both sides to the argument of who is more successful. The way I look at it....The Giants have over achieved in the last 15 years and the Dodgers have under achieved.

I would definitely agree with that.

Once a batter is in the box, he can't get out until a pitch has been thrown. If he does, it's a strike. Specifically for Nomar Garcia-Parra

I'm trying to make it seem like it was yesterday because they've won 3 since the last Yankees win haha
Har, har :LOL:

Really? Over the past 10 years the Dodgers have made the playoffs 10 times - Winning a World Series.

The Giants have made it 5 times with one World Series.

I would argue the Dodgers have been much more successful in recent memory.
Not quite sure I understand the math here. SF has 3 WS titles in 3 trips since 2010. LA has 3 trips in the last 6 years and only 1 win. Say what you want about the Giants but LA has underachieved more than anyone recently. Making it to the post season means nothing without a title. Take it from this frustrated NYY fan. :LOL:

Har, har :LOL:

Not quite sure I understand the math here. SF has 3 WS titles in 3 trips since 2010. LA has 3 trips in the last 6 years and only 1 win. Say what you want about the Giants but LA has underachieved more than anyone recently. Making it to the post season means nothing without a title. Take it from this frustrated NYY fan. :LOL:

They have won 1 World Series in the past 10 years, as I said. They have only made the playoffs 5 times in 10 years. They did have a nice run in the Early 2000s, but that was quite some time ago.

I am NOT a Dodgers fan, at all - but to say the Giants have been the better franchise recently is just incorrect. I do not disagree the Dodgers have underperformed, but they have consistently made it to the playoffs in 10 straight years - which is impressive.

Really? Over the past 10 years the Dodgers have made the playoffs 10 times - Winning a World Series.

The Giants have made it 5 times with one World Series.

I would argue the Dodgers have been much more successful in recent memory.

I guess recent is subjective. Add another five years to that to that past history. They won two of those five. Two years ago they won how many games, 105 or something. With a significantly less talented team than the Dodgers. Don't get me wrong because I'm actually a big Dodger fan, I hate the Giants. But I appreciate what they've been able to accomplish over (my) recent memory with less.

In the playoffs, pitching and defense come to the forefront. And when games suddenly aren't 12-10 and teams are only scoring a handful of runs or less, small ball helps to maximize opportunities.

I'd certainly take 3 world series championships in fifteen years as opposed to one and 10 playoff appearances. Maybe if they employed a little small ball on occasion ,something more would have come out of those 10 appearances (that and Roberts having a clue on how to use a pitching staff).

But, as someone said in an earlier post, nostalgia certainly plays a large part for me. I do simply like the older style better.

I guess recent is subjective. Add another five years to that to that past history. They won two of those five. Two years ago they won how many games, 105 or something. With a significantly less talented team than the Dodgers. Don't get me wrong because I'm actually a big Dodger fan, I hate the Giants. But I appreciate what they've been able to accomplish over (my) recent memory with less.

In the playoffs, pitching and defense come to the forefront. And when games suddenly aren't 12-10 and teams are only scoring a handful of runs or less, small ball helps to maximize opportunities.

I'd certainly take 3 world series championships in fifteen years as opposed to one and 10 playoff appearances. Maybe if they employed a little small ball on occasion ,something more would have come out of those 10 appearances (that and Roberts having a clue on how to use a pitching staff).

But, as someone said in an earlier post, nostalgia certainly plays a large part for me. I do simply like the older style better.

The bolded would have gotten them at least one more IMO - Right @tequila4kapp :p

Even with larger ballparks, they will still be swinging for the fences. The teams that value strategy will continue to do so regardless of park size and vice versa.

They have won 1 World Series in the past 10 years, as I said. They have only made the playoffs 5 times in 10 years. They did have a nice run in the Early 2000s, but that was quite some time ago.

I am NOT a Dodgers fan, at all - but to say the Giants have been the better franchise recently is just incorrect. I do not disagree the Dodgers have underperformed, but they have consistently made it to the playoffs in 10 straight years - which is impressive.
To you it is. 1 WS in the last 10, 3 in the last 12. Splitting hairs doncha think? "Recently" is a loose term

Apparently the pitch clock has already been shown to shave 20+ minutes off per game in Spring Training, reducing the avg. to 2:39, which is the lowest it has been since 1972.

Curious to see if any teams actually deploy 2 outfielders in right field as a strategy during the season to combat the new shift rules. I imagine even pull hitters hit weak pop outs to left a reasonable amount.

I love baseball exactly how it is but I'm curious to see how the changes affect the game this year. Not the biggest fan of the extra inning change but I've accepted it does help the teams. Pitch clocks seem weird to me.

I don't think making the stadiums bigger would do much. It's too bad analytics have taken over the game but things change just look at how the NBA and NFL have changed.

Baseball will always be my sport, so I have to roll with the changes.

Back