Wearing your collar up??

I am of the upper class/patrician/preppie elite and so it is a fashionable statement of our pedigree to wear the collar up which is why I do so. If one is a plebian, I can see why they don't give honor to those who don the flying collar.

I definitely don't care for the collar up "style", no matter how well it protects my neck...
I guess I'm kind of like Wesley Sipes in White Men Can't Jump, I'd rather look good and be uncomfortable, than wear a bucket hat and be protected from the sun...

Popped collars are a trend I can't wrap my brain around.

What he said ^^^.

(And I differentiate between popped collars and putting a collar up because you are getting sunburned.)

I've seen the same guy at several golf tournaments. He is about 5'-5", 300lbs, and wears a sweatervest, shorts, and has a popped collar. He looks like his head has been jammed on his shoulders without having any neck at all. He, however, thinks he is very cool.

I've seen the same guy at several golf tournaments. He is about 5'-5", 300lbs, and wears a sweatervest, shorts, and has a popped collar. He looks like his head has been jammed on his shoulders without having any neck at all. He, however, thinks he is very cool.

You know former forum member DDBowdoin?

(And I differentiate between popped collars and putting a collar up because you are getting sunburned.)

You may differentiate, but how would anyone looking at you be able to know your intentions?

There are at least 10 guys at my club that wear their shirts this way. But they do not do it for the look, it is about keeping the sun off of their neck and it works.

Keep in mind that quite a few others could be doing the same thing.

Doesn't change my opinion...I don't think too many people can pull it off as a "look"...utilitarian purposes are just that and wearing a collar up to keep your neck protected is akin to those snowplow driver hats with the ear flaps in that sense...you look silly but who cares? Your neck/ears are protected and that's all you were looking for...:confused2:

I don't wear them up. I always figured they stood up because the owner did not own an iron to press them with correctly. I do see quite a few wrinkled ones being worn by folks, where each side has a different fold line. In the end, it make no difference to me what folks wear, or how they look on the golf course, unless I am playing at one one of the higher end courses.

Whether a golf wears a collar up or down doesn't matter to me. As long as they have a collar is what is important as I find the t-shirted attire repugnant and a disrespect to the game.

Come to think of it there are a few pga pros who wear shirts with out collars during tournaments. If shirts with out collars are ok in the professional ranks, then the perception has to be that they are ok for everyday, amateur play.

Anyway I wear my mine folded down, pressed correctly. As for the sun on my neck, my "Palm Springs Special" hat takes care of that issue. Of course I could just grow a mullet, which would also suffice. :D

Whether a golf wears a collar up or down doesn't matter to me. As long as they have a collar is what is important as I find the t-shirted attire repugnant and a disrespect to the game.

I'm not a fan of t-shirts on the course either. Or football jerseys, or tank tops or jeans or sweatpants or cutoffs. I also think people should clean their shoes more - I don't like seeing really dirty shoes.

I'm not a fan of t-shirts on the course either. Or football jerseys, or tank tops or jeans or sweatpants or cutoffs. I also think people should clean their shoes more - I don't like seeing really dirty shoes.

The city courses in Tucson have a very lax dress code. Denim is ok, t-shirts are ok, I am not sure about tank tops, but I assume they would also pass.

I see some jeans (I have worn them myself when I had to play an emergency round straight from work) and a lot of t-shirts on the city courses.

I see some jeans (I have worn them myself when I had to play an emergency round straight from work) and a lot of t-shirts on the city courses.

I've finally gotten used to the fact that one of my friends wears jeans for Winter golf. I can't do it though - I can hear my mother's disapproval. Besides, I find cords are warmer.

I've finally gotten used to the fact that one of my friends wears jeans for Winter golf. I can't do it though - I can hear my mother's disapproval. Besides, I find cords are warmer.

I prefer twills or cords to jeans, but I can adapt to the moment. I don't feel like I am insulting the game. As far as ugly clothes, I believe cargo pants are much more sloppy looking than a nice pair of jeans anyway.

I prefer twills or cords to jeans, but I can adapt to the moment. I don't feel like I am insulting the game. As far as ugly clothes, I believe cargo pants are much more sloppy looking than a nice pair of jeans anyway.

Really - if the cargo pants fit well and are pressed - I'd rather see someone wear them than jeans. If they're baggy and wrinkled - then I think they're as bad as jeans on the course.

guys we have a whole thread on jeans and golf. Lets keep this one about collars.

popped collars remind me of the guidos on the jersey shore show...
but i admit i popped my collar the other day cuz my neck was freezing and i wasnt wearing a turtleneck

I think most of those guys either wear no shirt or a wife beater tank top kinda thing. The whole popped collar look shoulda died out after John Hughes movies celebrated their 10th year anniversary

"Emergency Rounds"...I like that. I have had a few of those myself...........
The city courses in Tucson have a very lax dress code. Denim is ok, t-shirts are ok, I am not sure about tank tops, but I assume they would also pass.

Come to think of it there are a few pga pros who wear shirts with out collars during tournaments.

I do not think it a mere coincidence that one of those pros who plays without a collar is also lacking in the morality department. He seems intent that his pectoralis drive the ladies into a swoon with those tight fitting collarless shirts. The two go hand in hand, morality and collars, imo.

if you really wanna get ppl to stop popping their collars for "style" purposes...
start trying to "outdo" them... like break out the disco shirts with the massive airplane wing collars and start popping those babies out... make sure to flaunt it in front of them... they will in turn get more enormous collars to pop and will be forced to starch them stiff to keep them popped... which in turn will lead to them poking their eyes out during their back swing and again on their follow thru... both eyes will then be gouged out and they will finally have learned their lesson on the evils of popped collars

LOL... this thread turned out much funnier than I expected :banana:

I do not think it a mere coincidence that one of those pros who plays without a collar is also lacking in the morality department. He seems intent that his pectoralis drive the ladies into a swoon with those tight fitting collarless shirts. The two go hand in hand, morality and collars, imo.

You're good. I like the cut of your collar.

Perhaps Tiger needs a morality collar?

Kevin

Back