Wearing your collar up??

derelict

In the trees
Reaction score
Handicap
short game
Am I all alone in thinking that wearing the collar of a polo shirt up makes one look like a dork? I mean, I think it didn't look good in the 80's so I don't think it would be that cool here in the 21st century...

Wait, it's not cool? :rolleyes:

coolness-popped-collar-demotivational-poster.jpg

A couple of guys on the Euro tour can pull it off...not for me and for most Americans though...

I dont know, it looked good on Elvis.
Spoiler
21928.jpg

A pretty cool shirt.
Spoiler
other-shirt.jpg

I suppose it keeps the sun off the back of your neck when it`s hot.Plus it`s probably cool if you`re good looking!!!

The Kid thinks it's cool, despite my efforts to convince him otherwise.

One of those fashion fads that I just never understood...:confused2:

Am I all alone in thinking that wearing the collar of a polo shirt up makes one look like a dork? I mean, I think it didn't look good in the 80's so I don't think it would be that cool here in the 21st century...

A couple of guys on the Euro tour can pull it off...not for me and for most Americans though...

There are at least 10 guys at my club that wear their shirts this way. But they do not do it for the look, it is about keeping the sun off of their neck and it works.

Keep in mind that quite a few others could be doing the same thing.

Popped collars are a trend I can't wrap my brain around. Kind of up there with sweatbands at the elbow, and emo hair.

It's a quick way to show the world you're a complete tool. May as well wear a sandwich board saying so to insure everyone knows.

Claire - if you want the Kid to quit, allow him to Google "Popped Collars" and let him read up. It'll be a real education on how others view him.

As others have said, the majority of the time when you see it on the golf course, it is simply to keep the sun off the neck, not to 'look cool'. I will do it on occasion when I can feel my neck getting burned a bit. It is more for necessity than the look.

Of the course, that may be another matter, but on the course, it is perfectly acceptable.

Like JB, I see lots of guys with them up. In the desert, it is a good idea to keep as much of you out of the sun as possible. I don't do it because it bothers me to have something intermittently touching my neck. I probably should for the shade.

I don't do it because it bothers me to have something intermittently touching my neck. I probably should for the shade.

My thoughts exactly. I wish it did not bother me.

popped collars remind me of the guidos on the jersey shore show...
but i admit i popped my collar the other day cuz my neck was freezing and i wasnt wearing a turtleneck

personally, i'd rather pop the collar on a hot sunny day than wear one of those ridiculous dave pelz/bubba watson looking hats.

The Kid thinks it's cool, despite my efforts to convince him otherwise.

If you want to convince him it's not cool, you simply need to resort to wearing yours like that around the house. Simple, but very effective.

personally, i'd rather pop the collar on a hot sunny day than wear one of those ridiculous dave pelz/bubba watson looking hats.

I have a couple of those and several straw hats that I wear in mid-summer. Come out to the desert and see how fast your fashion sense changes. :D When the sides of your face start to look like overcooked bacon, those hats start to look a lot better.

I have a couple of those and several straw hats that I wear in mid-summer. Come out to the desert and see how fast your fashion sense changes. :D When the sides of your face start to look like overcooked bacon, those hats start to look a lot better.

yeah that's a good point. i've got a golfing buddy that only wears bucket hats and he swears by them. i just have never been a big fan but would probably use one out of necessity. When your face looks like overcooked bacon, does it smell and taste like it as well? That would be pretty awesome if it did:D

yeah that's a good point. i've got a golfing buddy that only wears bucket hats and he swears by them. i just have never been a big fan but would probably use one out of necessity. When your face looks like overcooked bacon, does it smell and taste like it as well? That would be pretty awesome if it did:D

Unfortunately, it smells like charred meat and you can almost see the melanoma forming.

Only at THP can a thread like this generate so many posts!

Claire - if you want the Kid to quit, allow him to Google "Popped Collars" and let him read up. It'll be a real education on how others view him.

We'll consider this.

If you want to convince him it's not cool, you simply need to resort to wearing yours like that around the house. Simple, but very effective.

The Kid also buttons his polo all the way up, and I just can't stand to have something that close to my throat.

Unfortunately, it smells like charred meat and you can almost see the melanoma forming.

LMAO. CT, that's funny stuff this early in the morning. We should probably keep it on topic before i get my hand whacked. I'm notorious for ranting in threads where i shouldn't.

I guess for me living in Australia a lot of golfers pop their collars, at least the younger guys, and a lot of the older guys wore the bucket hats. Ultimately, everyone had the same goal.....keep the sun off.

If it's on the course or other areas to keep the sun, wind, cold off your neck that's one thing. But to wear it because you think it looks cool, boy are you way off. My wife and I joke that, wearing your collar "popped" is the young people's way of saying I'm single and plan to stay that way for ever. :laughing: I just don't get the look. I figure in 10 years when most of these people look back they will say "Man I looked really bad like that." Kind of like all those people with the mullet's and jorts. :laughing:

I figure in 10 years when most of these people look back they will say "Man I looked really bad like that." Kind of like all those people with the mullets and jorts. :laughing:

Be careful--you're insulting Harry again!

My guess is that some people just don't want too feel necked when they're out of the house. I kid I kid...it's all in good pun...I mean fun :)

If you all remember the Phil Mickelson Boss years, he wore his collar popped and of course all collars were made to protect your neck from the sun as before the invention of A/C all people had to protect them from the elements were their clothes. My grandmother who is 94 tells me when she was a little girl they would wrap up in all white clothes covered from head to toe and work out in the fields all day. The more you sweat the cooler you stayed. She also remembers people wearing their collars to keep the sun off their neck while they were bent over and their big brimmed hats didn't cover their heads all the way around. It's funny how now its more for show and not actually to protect people but some guys do this I play golf with old and young alike.

I personally need to do it b/c last summer my neck stayed burnt it seemed. I keep my hair buzzed so I have no protection from the sun so I wear a hat but my neck is bare. Looks like I'm gonna have to pop my collar going forward.

Back