Weather in your area.

A different kind of sunrise here and 102º colder, lol.

@tahoebum: In your previous post, I saw KARE-11, I think that is one of the TV stations in Minnesota, isn't it?

Is the weather in your area colder than International Falls Minnesota? I lived in Minneapolis for 4 years during my undergraduate school and it was not my cup of tea because it was so cold. I remembered one year, in 1989 I think, it was so cold and snow so much that it is even cold to many Minnesotans :(. I visited many places in Minnesota during my time there, places like Duluth, Edina, Woodbury, International Falls, Madison Wisconsin, etc... I have to say the coldest place has to be International Falls.

So glad I am now in Cocoa beach :) during the winter season.

On my short fifteen minute commute to work this morning, I witnessed two cars off the road and one car facing in the wrong direction on an interstate highway. I'm in upstate NY, so it's not like we not used to snow or driving in the snow. The more interesting thing is that we got less than 2 inches of snow.

Snow is still coming down sideways here. I'm working remote, both my wife and my son had school called off. Snowfall is supposed to be pretty constant until mid afternoon, so I'll wait for a bit before firing up the snowblower.

@tahoebum: In your previous post, I saw KARE-11, I think that is one of the TV stations in Minnesota, isn't it?

Is the weather in your area colder than International Falls Minnesota? I lived in Minneapolis for 4 years during my undergraduate school and it was not my cup of tea because it was so cold. I remembered one year, in 1989 I think, it was so cold and snow so much that it is even cold to many Minnesotans :(. I visited many places in Minnesota during my time there, places like Duluth, Edina, Woodbury, International Falls, Madison Wisconsin, etc... I have to say the coldest place has to be International Falls.

So glad I am now in Cocoa beach :) during the winter season.

KARE 11 is one of the Minneapolis news stations. International Falls is 300 miles north of our Minneapolis home and 190 miles north of our lake home so it is colder. It’s the northern most city in the continental U.S. so it should be cold in the winter, lol. This morning it was very cold everywhere - 29 in International Falls, -33 at our lake place, and -20 in Minneapolis. It’s pretty funny that my next door neighbor sleeps in his ice shack near International Falls for about 55 days each winter. He’s holding a 100* temperature differential many nights with those large propane tanks running his heater.

Him and his girlfriend caught 28 fish yesterday including a 28.5” Walleye. Many of my MN buddies like winter better than summer.

Last edited:
High 40's today, it was in the mid 70's last Saturday

Him and his girlfriend caught 28 fish yesterday including a 28.5” Walleye. Many of my MN buddies like winter better than summer.

I love Walleye, and also the Northern Pikes. Grilled fresh Walleye filet is so yummy. I still purchase Walleye online but it is not the same as the fresh one caught right out of the water. It is one of the things I missed about Minnesota.

I love Walleye, and also the Northern Pikes. Grilled fresh Walleye filet is so yummy. I still purchase Walleye online but it is not the same as the fresh one caught right out of the water. It is one of the things I missed about Minnesota.

Walleye is on almost every decent restaurant menu here as you know. He catches so many fish that he gives me 20+ lbs of Walleye each year. I'm going to try to get up to his Ice Shack on Lake of the Woods next month for a few days. We catch Walleye right in front of our home when the fishing is good in May and October and there are lots of ice fishermen on the lake this time of year. I'm not patient enough anymore to fish when the water is warmer and it's slow.

Well was -4 this morning real temp while taking out the puppy.....

We having one of those 40-50 deg temperature swings from cold as heck to 40F today. Lots of snow. I think it snowed just about every day last week. I look forward to a shoveling break.

Anyway, funny how the body adapts to temperature. After a good cold spell, I feel like I could wear shorts and t-shirt today. :cool:

Walleye is on almost every decent restaurant menu here as you know. He catches so many fish that he gives me 20+ lbs of Walleye each year. I'm going to try to get up to his Ice Shack on Lake of the Woods next month for a few days. We catch Walleye right in front of our home when the fishing is good in May and October and there are lots of ice fishermen on the lake this time of year. I'm not patient enough anymore to fish when the water is warmer and it's slow.

Minnesota is fishing heaven in the summer. It is the land of 10,000 lakes :).

I would love to purchase Walleye filets from fisherman, if you know any, please let me know.

MELT, DAMNIT!

We having one of those 40-50 deg temperature swings from cold as heck to 40F today. Lots of snow. I think it snowed just about every day last week. I look forward to a shoveling break.

Anyway, funny how the body adapts to temperature. After a good cold spell, I feel like I could wear shorts and t-shirt today. :cool:

It’s 45 today after a high of -4 yesterday, I’ll take it.

Not looking forward to all the ice tomorrow though.

KARE 11 is one of the Minneapolis news stations. International Falls is 300 miles north of our Minneapolis home and 190 miles north of our lake home so it is colder. It’s the northern most city in the continental U.S. so it should be cold in the winter, lol. This morning it was very cold everywhere - 29 in International Falls, -33 at our lake place, and -20 in Minneapolis. It’s pretty funny that my next door neighbor sleeps in his ice shack near International Falls for about 55 days each winter. He’s holding a 100* temperature differential many nights with those large propane tanks running his heater.

What lake are you on? We are on leech.

I'll add to the pictures. Not as cold as some in the high 20s but according to the news, 14.5" here. About a foot on my car. We were in the jackpot zone for Massachusetts today. Lovely. Dreaming of Maui!

Attachments

• 20220107_143723.jpg
    20220107_143723.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 3
What lake are you on? We are on leech.

Gull Lake on Pine Beach Peninsula north of Madden's Resort. I love Leech but my wife is more of a city girl and wanted more restaurants/shopping and to be closer to the Twin Cities if she wants to drive down for the day to get her shopping fix in. She uses the spa at Madden's all the time to get her nails done and so do my daughters. I've actually grown to really like where we live on Gull and we have made friends and have amazing neighbors on both sides of us. We are selling our Minneapolis home in less than 18 months when my daughter graduates from high school and will be living at the lake 5-6 months each year. If you grew up in Walker you might know my neighbors the Elsenpeters as they are 3rd or 4th generation bankers from Walker and him and his 4 siblings all still live betwee Leech and Gull Lakes. He grew up on Ten Mile Lake.

Last edited:
MELT, DAMNIT!

Arrow has been saying the same thing. I had to go into our backyard and shovel a path for him because he refuses to go to the bathroom on snow, and it was so high it completely covered his belly. So now he has a nice U shaped path from screen door to screen door in the backyard.

Still really cold (for me), but I did putt a few today lol. After 6 putts I gave it up
20220107_132317.jpg20220107_132300.jpg

Arrow has been saying the same thing. I had to go into our backyard and shovel a path for him because he refuses to go to the bathroom on snow, and it was so high it completely covered his belly. So now he has a nice U shaped path from screen door to screen door in the backyard.
I remember those days! My pup growing up was the same way. Our dogs now are just monsters who go out and play fight in the snow.

I remember those days! My pup growing up was the same way. Our dogs now are just monsters who go out and play fight in the snow.

My son sent me this picture from last night of the neighbors dogs hanging out for hours in below zero temps. They’re border collies so you can take them for a 5 mile run behind the Polaris to attempt wearing them out but they recover in a half hour and want more playtime with the tennis ball. :)

CB239C9E-1408-43AA-8A6E-1FAC5B94B4C7.jpeg

Pic on the way into work this morning…
A0F8DB0C-E06E-4A34-8A53-2D4773038342.jpeg

One of our regular golf buddies is in Chicago right now. We sent him a pic today from the 10th tee, with the sun shining brightly on the green grass and the lake sparkling in the background.

He sent us back a picture of a dead tree covered in snow. :ROFLMAO:

Gull Lake on Pine Beach Peninsula north of Madden's Resort. I love Leech but my wife is more of a city girl and wanted more restaurants/shopping and to be closer to the Twin Cities if she wants to drive down for the day to get her shopping fix in. She uses the spa at Madden's all the time to get her nails done and so do my daughters. I've actually grown to really like where we live on Gull and we have made friends and have amazing neighbors on both sides of us. We are selling our Minneapolis home in less than 18 months when my daughter graduates from high school and will be living at the lake 5-6 months each year. If you grew up in Walker you might know my neighbors the Elsenpeters as they are 3rd or 4th generation bankers from Walker and him and his 4 siblings all still live betwee Leech and Gull Lakes. He grew up on Ten Mile Lake.
didn’t grow up in walker , Ohio actually. The name doesn’t ring a bell.
might have to meet up and play a round this summer if you are game

We often say that if we had easier winters there would be 15 million people living in MN and the state would be ruined. A coping mechanism no doubt. :)

My next door neighbor is 180 miles farther north sleeping in his ice shack out on the ice for the next 3 weeks. He obviously loves this time of year and sent me a video last night of him frying some of the walleye they caught. We will be snowmobiling later today and tomorrow when it’s supposed to warm up to 27*.

View attachment 9058006

I do love some walleye! And I guess you folks in MN can brag a little. When I was still working, I called on an account where one of the buyers had retired parents who had moved to the Minneapolis area, and also had a Sister who lived near Toledo, Ohio on the south shore of Lake Erie. One year that Sister invited everyone to her place for the holidays. The parents were like "Thank God! We can get away from this Minnesota winter!" Well, they came down to Ohio and froze their asses off!

Dry air makes a difference!

One of our regular golf buddies is in Chicago right now. We sent him a pic today from the 10th tee, with the sun shining brightly on the green grass and the lake sparkling in the background.

He sent us back a picture of a dead tree covered in snow. :ROFLMAO:

That tree is NOT dead! It is just dormant. I had a winery sales rep from California come out here many years ago during the Winter. She said she felt sorry for us because all of our trees had died! And that she had no idea that the environmental devasatation up here was so extensive! You know, the "rust belt" and all that! I could not believe that she held the position that she did. I figured it must be a California or west coast thing! Also had a winery OWNER, who was quite well educated, land in Cincinnati and make his way from SW to NE through Ohio working the market during the Summer. He expressed surprise that so much of Ohio was forested!

I told her that the trees were not dead, they were merely dormant for the Winter. Much like their grape vines were during their off season! That fixed it for her!

Last edited:
Back