Wedge Gapping Advice

YankeeFan

Reaction score
I have delofted irons with a 39* 9 iron and a 44* "PW" (if you can call it that). My thought was to go with 44*, 48, 54, 60 (even though i dont know anyone who uses a 48* GW). Or should i go with the more tradional lofts for my last three wedges by going 44*, 50, 56, 60? I know I need to try them out but any advice on the composition?

:welcome:

You should use the lofts that fit your distances. Don't worry about what lofts others might use and nobody is going to think twice about you using a 48*, if they even notice a number on the club head.

:welcome:

You should use the lofts that fit your distances. Don't worry about what lofts others might use and nobody is going to think twice about you using a 48*, if they even notice a number on the club head.

Agree 100%. I use a 49 degree GW. Use what works for YOU!

pretty sure the titleist AP1 set now has 2 GW, one is a 48 and the 2nd is a 52, so it can't be that crazy.

I would look at distances more than anything as that is really what you need to cover.

Off topic but how do you like the XR irons Hoosier? My brother should be getting his in the mail tomorrow

I have a 44* pw and use a 49/52/56 setup and will be changing the 49 to a 48. My distance gap works well with a 4* gap between wedges since I like to hit full shots with the 48 and 52.

This is one reason I strongly dislike the jacked lofts in modern irons. Your PW is the same as my 9i and my PW is 48°. I use a PW(48°),54° and 60°

This is one reason I strongly dislike the jacked lofts in modern irons. Your PW is the same as my 9i and my PW is 48°. I use a PW(48°),54° and 60°

It's more about launch than it is about lofts.

To the OP get wedges that fit the distance your looking for and not so much on what loft the club is. As a general thought for myself I like 4 degree gaps in lofts as a starting point.

I have the Z545 PW which is 44° and went with the RTX 2.0 48° 52° and then 58° which works well for me

Doctor, do you use the 48° in the sand traps?

Back