kiwichris

Team Smoked Charcuterie
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf
Looking for any tips on how to fix my wedge impact issues. Every time I see ball impact o it by the toe of the club.
I know I’m naturally quite steep and inside but I’m looking for any quick tips for setup that may help bring that impact back to the middle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Address the ball on the heel?

Don't take this to heart as I'm no pro but to help flatten out the swing you can try slightly buckling your knees outward. A drill to work on this would be to put a small medicine ball between your knees. It helps to keep the back knee from buckling and coming through which makes you get steep. I struggle with coming in to steep and my buddy told me to do this. He is a +3 or so and grew up getting lessons from Ryan Chrysler who works with DJ, Woodland, Els, etc. at Butch Harmon Floridian. My buddy definitely learned a lot about the golf swing. He will tell me what he thinks he's doing, have me video it to send to Ryan and sure enough that's what Ryan says he's doing wrong.

It's easy to think that to hit a wedge you have to slip the leading edge of the clubhead in between the ball and the ground. Maybe that's what is causing your problem. Try thinking instead of sliding the sole of the club along the ground, just like you do when you make your practice strokes.

First thing I would look at is where is the ball at address? Is it towards the toe at address as well as impact?
If it is, then look at changing your setup position so that the ball is more centred on the club face

A drill I once saw somewhere talked about being able to move your point of impact using this technique
Try putting a tee in the ground inside the ball and then focus on missing the tee during the swing rather than focusing on the ball impact
You can also do the opposite if you tend to strike the ball on the heel

It's easy to think that to hit a wedge you have to slip the leading edge of the clubhead in between the ball and the ground. Maybe that's what is causing your problem. Try thinking instead of sliding the sole of the club along the ground, just like you do when you make your practice strokes.
Trying to scoop the ball on any shot is a killer error. It is one that my subconscious wants to do so bad and I really have to use my will to not let my hands try to do it. A good swing thought for me is trying to hit down on the ball with a left hand backhand feel from tennis. Just pulling that left arm through and making that right hand be quiet as long as possible (hopefully till after impact, but that doesn't always happen of course 😂)

When that problem arise for me, it usually means I'm not turning my body enough. I had so much of this problem it drove me to a lesson, where it was fixed in fifteen minutes.

Trying to scoop the ball on any shot is a killer error. It is one that my subconscious wants to do so bad and I really have to use my will to not let my hands try to do it. A good swing thought for me is trying to hit down on the ball with a left hand backhand feel from tennis. Just pulling that left arm through and making that right hand be quiet as long as possible (hopefully till after impact, but that doesn't always happen of course 😂)
I think this happens to me often when I am hitting my wedges bad. Mostly when I am tired is when it happens so makes sense that my body movement is minimized. I am surprised as well as I hit my irons, my wedge game is greatly lacking.

Wedges are totally different beast than the irons in my bag. I have been practicing my wedge game almost daily when possible - at least 3-4 times a week now and it doesn't seem to be changing much. I have to dig into this more.

Address the ball on the heel?
My coach had me do this a bit when I was struggling with wedges. Made me feel like I was reaching but sure enough I started centering it up on the club face.

I think this happens to me often when I am hitting my wedges bad. Mostly when I am tired is when it happens so makes sense that my body movement is minimized. I am surprised as well as I hit my irons, my wedge game is greatly lacking.

Wedges are totally different beast than the irons in my bag. I have been practicing my wedge game almost daily when possible - at least 3-4 times a week now and it doesn't seem to be changing much. I have to dig into this more.
My short game is so good I would probably be better off playing the entire course with wedge type shots. Just partial swings from everywhere, of course I am way too vain for that so full swing drives into the woods it is 😂.

I'm not sure what you mean by scooping, but that is not at all what sliding the sole across the ground does.

I'm not sure what you mean by scooping, but that is not at all what sliding the sole across the ground does.
Scooping is the motion you described in your post of trying to get the club under the ball to lift it off the ground. Hence scooping the ball. The corrective action you advised is not scooping which is good. I was agreeing with you and stating the error you described is a shot killer.

My wedge play improved tremendously when I started slightly closing the face, playing the ball in the middle or back of my stance, and hitting little hook shots.

The strike is always solid and shallow and I'm really able to flight my ball consistently. The spin is predictable and makes it much easier to score.

Back