Wedge life expectancy.

Pops

Formerly Bbutler
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I’ve never really thought or worried about wedge life. Never played enough to worry about it. Currently play multiple rounds per week on sim. I would think sim rounds wouldn’t wear clubs nearly as bad as on course rounds. What’s your thoughts.

Titleist says around 75 rounds:

That’s not exactly cost effective for me and I don’t use a GW or SW near as often as a lob. So the LW gets replaced once a season (~100 rounds), SW, roughly every 2 seasons, and GW when irons are replaced.

I don't think it would matter whether you're hitting off mats in a SIM or actually on a course. Grooves are grooves & balls are balls. So all being equal, the balls contacting the clubface are the same & would wear the same. :unsure:

I don't think it would matter whether you're hitting off mats in a SIM or actually on a course. Grooves are grooves & balls are balls. So all being equal, the balls contacting the clubface are the same & would wear the same. :unsure:

you forgot dirt. Sim's are basically clean, and balls are not what wears grooves. The rocks, sand, and dirt caught between the club and the ball outside are what accelerates club wear.

you forgot dirt. Sim's are basically clean, and balls are not what wears grooves. The rocks, sand, and dirt caught between the club and the ball outside are what accelerates club wear.
Well yeah if you were to hit 1K shots inside vs 1K shots out of a bunker, a 56* is going to wear faster in the bunker. (y)

I’m not sure that I see enough spin to change them as suggested by Titleist. I mean, I would seriously have to adjust my home budgets if I were to follow along with their guide anyhow.

Well yeah if you were to hit 1K shots inside vs 1K shots out of a bunker, a 56* is going to wear faster in the bunker. (y)

My range is sandy and it will eat irons bucket by bucket.

I’m not sure that I see enough spin to change them as suggested by Titleist. I mean, I would seriously have to adjust my home budgets if I were to follow along with their guide anyhow.
My current sm8 wedges have probably 50 plus rounds on golf course and more than 100 sim rounds probably closer to 150. Can still get spin near 10k off sim turf

Are groove repair files legal?

Like every other club they last till your new favorite

I replace my 50° every year no matter what. I use it the most and want good grooves on it. My 58° I replace every other year or if it seems to not be performing as I want.

Since like 2015 I have played 3 sets of 56*/60* wedges

My range is sandy and it will eat irons bucket by bucket.
There's one here like that. Just brutal on them. It's representative of what can happen on courses here too. The courses aren't bad or anything, but there are mixed soil lies you run into that will chew up balls and clubs.

I wouldn't think I'd wear out a wedge playing SIM rounds for a very long time. I can beat one up in a couple months outdoors if I'm working it out on course and range.

I’ve never really thought or worried about wedge life. Never played enough to worry about it. Currently play multiple rounds per week on sim. I would think sim rounds wouldn’t wear clubs nearly as bad as on course rounds. What’s your thoughts.

Tom Kite once played the same wedges on Tour for 11 years, so I don't believe wedges "wear out". I think solid-square contact is what imparts spin to wedge shots.

Tom Kite once played the same wedges on Tour for 11 years, so I don't believe wedges "wear out". I think solid-square contact is what imparts spin to wedge shots.

You better believe they do. I owned wedges in 1020 Steel around 2008. They wore quicker than my marriages, which wore down quickly.

I typically have been on a 2 year cycle.

I am replacing mine every couple years. This will be the 3rd with my 50 and 54. I was still getting 11000 rpm of spin tonight on the 54. Still good.

You better believe they do. I owned wedges in 1020 Steel around 2008. They wore quicker than my marriages, which wore down quickly.
It's hard to dispute the video in post #2. I got to believe they grooves wear down. Some, like me, it probably won't affect like other golfers, but it's probably good to replace them every couple years.

I have a set of 4 wedges that are 30+ years old. (TE Bazooka Ironwoods) They are still easily playable. The grooves still shed moisture, and other debris from between the club face, and the ball at impact. They will still put enough spin on the ball to check up a little. They could use a grip change if I were to start playing them again, on a regular basis. .

As for max back spin, that was never in my wheelhouse anyways. I never developed that type of swing/spin. It didn't matter what type of lie I had, or if the green's surface was back spin friendly.

Titleist says every 75 rounds, but I think that is a bit self-serving. I use my old wedges for practice, and my new ones for play. I play 150+ rounds a year, so I am hoping I can get two years out of the new wedges.

Based on the titleist recommendation I would need new ones 3 times a year :ROFLMAO:

That said, I’m a once a year guy.

I use my old wedges for practice, and my new ones for play. I play 150+ rounds a year, so I am hoping I can get two years out of the new wedges.

I'm doing what Sean states. Using my old wedges which to the naked eye look great for my practice. I will play wedges in my gaming bag 2-3 years.

I should probably replace more often but I usually go 2 seasons and then change them.

Back