Wedge preference: cavity or muscle?

rallo

#FYF
Reaction score
Handicap
goodenough
With the success of the Cleveland CBX, the cavity backed scoring wedges have become more marketable to amateur golfers, yet many golfers still play a more traditional muscle back wedge. What type of wedge do you play and why?

Bonus: for those playing a MB wedge, would you ever switch to CB? Why or why not?

I have played both and play the cavity back wedges much better. Way more forgiving and accurate too. I don't see myself going back to a bladed wedge in the near future.

I play Cleveland RTX MB's. I've not put too much thought into it other than after I hit the first one I loved it so much I grabbed them in multiple lofts.

I've never played a CB wedge outside of a set PW and never will more than likely. I'm very comfortable with MB wedges and tend to prefer the most compact looking head period on any iron, not just wedges.

Muscle Backs just because of the options out there. I'm already limited due to my left handedness.

I've always played MBs. I used to game CB AW and SW when I played my X-12s because it cam with the set but the lack of versatility had me switching pretty quickly. I'm not GREAT with my current wedges but I'm not as bad as I used to be. With that being said, Cleveland CBX wedges are one of only two imminent bag changes on the horizon for me this upcoming season.

I played a CB 50* Cleveland, for whatever reason I just couldn't get along with it. I have 2 other MB's that I play just fine. I would like to try the new iteration of the Cleveland CB wedges to see how they perform.

Muscle Backs just because of the options out there. I'm already limited due to my left handedness.

This is me too, but I did see a lefty Cleveland CBX in a golf store a few weeks ago and tried it. Shanked 3 in a row, looked around to see if anybody was watching LOL.

Went online and bought a like new SM6 54M real cheap to match my 60*.

Moved from MB (RTX3) to CB(X) and will likely stay with them as primary gamers. They are true cavity back clubs within roughly the same footprint.

My experience with the Honma wedges has me thinking that I prefer a CB wedge. Even with the chunky sole and deep cavity, I haven't run into a scenario where the construction has hindered me. But I play a pretty straightforward wedge game.

If a company came out with a left handed CB, with the lofts and grind that you prefer, would you consider gaming them?

I love my CBX, don't see going away from that style anytime soon.

Cavity, give me the forgiveness. Love the CBX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RTX-3 CB model. Why not take the extra forgiveness?

Both. Cbx wedge with the forgiveness and larger face are great but around the green I and on tight lies I like a more narrow sole and some heel relief.

I love MB wedges, I don't see a scenario at this point that would make me change to a CB wedge. I like the spin and the ability to flight the ball that MB's afford me. Wedges are probably one of the stronger parts of my game, if it ain't broke...

Muscle all day every day. Prefer the looks and feel from a MB wedge and its not close.

I've played both and would say I prefer a CB, but even more so I like a set matching wedge. If you can have a set of clubs say 5-LW, that would be super cool!

I've always preferred the muscleback design in wedges. They're just more visually appealing to me.

I play set PW and AW cause I find them easier to hit...and I gamea MP 60* and also a 54* till I recently swapped out the 54* MP for a Cleveland based on what I have read here and using it on the sim.....

I should really be using cavity back wedges but I can't look at them for long. Can't beat the looks and feel of a MB wedge.

MB 100%. Just a feel thing

Definitely MB wedges ...forever. Prefer the look, feel, trajectory, and ability to flight them. I don't need help getting a wedge in the air.

Back