dtak84

Reaction score
Handicap
I hope this is in the right section.

So, I've been wondering recently why people choose to get wedges that aren't a part of their iron set?

If you have the option to buy PW, AW/GW, SW, would you?

or would you stop at PW and get a separate set of AW/GW, SW, LW?

And why?

I would think that getting as many wedges with the set is the best choice, mainly for the consistency, and then filling in the last wedge would be a better choice...

But it seems like everyone gets a different set of wedges. Why?

Thanks!

Here is a great thread on wedge setup that could help.

Wedge Setup and Why? - The Hackers Paradise

As for why people go with other wedges, I cannot answer why others do, but I can tell you why I do. Traditional wedges offer a little more feel, more versatility, and more spin (in some cases) and since they are my scoring clubs, I wanted those things.

THey also have less forgiveness and I think (my opinion) many golfers use them because professionals and so many others do as well. Since they are used in the scoring zone, high handicap golfers might want to look at something with a little more forgiveness.

More sets nowadays are going 4-GW rather than 3-PW for that reason as well as lofts changing so much.

My iron set contains only the 4-9 iron. I choose to use a TM 48* wedge to go along with my other 2 TM wedges 52* bent to 53* and a 60* bent to 58*.

Why? Cause I wanted all my wedges to be of the same look.Plus I didn't like the look of the PW that matches the Irons.
By not using Same wedges for iron set , I was able to choose my choice of loft and bounce.

I do it simply because the CG12 and Vokey 200 are BETTER wedges than the a7's. Better look feel and spin. I can understand why you would want the iron set wedges, but to me, non-set wedges have better performance by a mile. In some cases, a SW from an iron set can play like a 12 iron per se. I dont like that

According to everyone's rave reviews on here. You should forget wedges and get a cleveland niblick.

For me, if given the option, I would buy the AW/GW that matches the regular set. I only use that club from the fairway on full shots from the fairway or rough, and rarely use it around the green, so I would prefer it if it is similar to the other clubs and shafts that I use for full swings for consistency purposes. Unfortunately, the last set of clubs I bought, that wasn't an option so I have an 'aftermarket' GW. I don't think it hinders my play, I would just prefer it to be the same as my other clubs. I almost bought the set of clubs that had an AW option, but decided against it since I didn't like the clubs as much.

For the SW/LW I prefer to use the custom wedges that probably don't match the set. Mostly for the same reasons that JB mentioned. Feel, versatility, spin, etc.

Thanks JB, I actually read that thread earlier today and didn't really feel like my question was answered.

I'm just considering buying a new iron set, and was wondering if I should go from 3-SW or just 3-9/PW. I think I'll probably go 3-PW and then pick up separate wedges. I guess I can ignore the fact that they won't all look alike... haha.

I was also looking at those niblicks... but I think I prefer the look of the traditional wedge. :foot-in-mouth:

Thanks for the clarification, in that case. I love my Vokey Wedges.

...I'm just considering buying a new iron set, and was wondering if I should go from 3-SW or just 3-9/PW. I think I'll probably go 3-PW and then pick up separate wedges...

Not to take this off topic, but if you have a 3W/5W/3H/4H, you could probably save some money and not get a 3 and 4 iron. No point in buying them if you don't need/use them. That could save you a $175-$225 or more depending on the set.

Just a thought, now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

I agree with JB I prefer the traditional wedges, although I know some people prefer the set and they can be easier to hit.
I chose my wedges based off yardages I wanted to hit them.
A smooth 50* for me is ~125yds
A smooth 56* for me is ~100yds
I typically only use my 60* inside 65yds or for tight pins where I need a little bit of spin and for me it can be quite versatile around the greens.

Ironically, I can't hit my hybrids very consistently or accurately... but my 5i I can hit straight consistently and even throw in a draw if I want.

I'm going to keep using my woods, which, I have more success hitting than my hybrids, and then revert to using 3i/4i.

When I first started playing golf this year in feb., I used an old set of Spalding blades. I didn't have a driver or any woods, and had to tee off on every hole with a 3i. When I got this new set, I was just never able to hit the hybrids very well. :bulgy-eyes:

I have a full set which included the 1,3 woods, 4,5 hyrbids, and an iron set which also included a PW and a SW. But I purchased my LW on my own, its a different company, but it matches my set which is a big plus :D but Golfsmith said that they would be able to special order me a LW to match my current set, but nah...that's ok (and plus for more money that I paid with my current LW that I bought!!).

Any wedges after a PW I prefer to purchase separately and from the same family so they both 'feel' the same.

I really don't see the importance of matching the wedges to the set.Hasn't worked for me.When I had that the matching ones had way too much bounce for my shortgame so now I use what has given me the best results and don't see changing it cause the amount I play I'm not going to wear it out.It fits right in to whatever set I'm playing.

I won one wedge and "got" the other one with the irons that I purchased. Had these things not happened I would only have up to my AW, well I might have went out and bought a SW though.

I hope this is in the right section.

So, I've been wondering recently why people choose to get wedges that aren't a part of their iron set?

If you have the option to buy PW, AW/GW, SW, would you?

or would you stop at PW and get a separate set of AW/GW, SW, LW?

And why?

I would think that getting as many wedges with the set is the best choice, mainly for the consistency, and then filling in the last wedge would be a better choice...

But it seems like everyone gets a different set of wedges. Why?

Thanks!

I went with the PW that matches my irons, but that is more of a 10 iron anyway. My GW and SW are Titleist Vokey because I require a different sort of performance around the green. I still use the AP2 PW for some chips, but it is more of a chip and run club, whereas the 52° and 56° will spin the ball more and check it up faster. I do still use the Vokeys for full shots too. :D

It's basically a matter of personal preference and choosing what fits best into your game. As you can see from my sig, I don't even carry a LW. That too is just what best fits my game.

My PW came with my iron set, but I use a Titleist SW that a friend gave to me. It has a steel shaft and I like the heavier weight of it - it's a man's club. I've been lobbying for someone to give me a lob wedge, but I haven't convinced anyone yet.

My PW came with my iron set, but I use a Titleist SW that a friend gave to me. It has a steel shaft and I like the heavier weight of it - it's a man's club. I've been lobbying for someone to give me a lob wedge, but I haven't convinced anyone yet.

I think you'd be better served with a gap wedge Diane. Lob wedges aren't the easiest club to hit consistently. Besides, there's probably 10* difference between your PW and SW. What are your distances with those clubs?

I think you'd be better served with a gap wedge Diane. Lob wedges aren't the easiest club to hit consistently. Besides, there's probably 10* difference between your PW and SW. What are your distances with those clubs?

I'm sure you're right and I bet my brother has a few gap wedges he's not using. I'll ask him for one. How far I hit them depends on the day.

I just swapped from 52/56/60 wedges to 54/58 set. BigLefty bent them 2* flat for me and now I am hitting them straight as an arrow. Before getting them bent properly, I was pulling them all right. Putters and wedges should be tweaked before any other clubs as far as I am concerned. You use them more and they are more important to scoring than anything else you carry.

Back