Wedge set up with a 48° Gap Wedge

FH72

Club Champion
Reaction score
Handicap
N/A
I currently have a 50° gap wedge in my iron set. I'm thinking about buying the new Titleist AP3s, which would change my gap wedge loft to 48°. With my current irons I use a 54/58 wedge setup. I'm considering going 52/58 with the AP3s.

I'd like to hear from others that have a 48° GW and find out what your wedge set up is and why it works for you. Two quick notes...I currently use my 54 and 58 for pitching, chipping and bunkers...no full shots, and I don't want to change the loft on the AP3s because I don't want to change the bounce. Thanks in advance for your input.

My Wilson C200s have a 48 deg gap. I use a 52/56/60 setup then. I am also considering going to a 54/60 and then maybe a 64 sure out or something similar. So far I can't find a 54 grind that I like so I will probably end up getting new 52 and 56 deg MD3s next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

52/56 probably makes the most sense there, especially if you like to full swing wedges. That's what I played when I had that GW setup.

I have the AP2's and my wedge set up is the stock 46 and then a 52/58. Best thing I ever did. 58 is perfect for lob and bunkers and the 46 and 52 are fine for 125 and in. I find having 3 wedges versus 4 is just easier. Plus they all get used in a round.

You really can't go by the loft # of the wedge. You have to hit them and fill in with what gaps best to fit your needs reagrdless of the stated loft. For instance, I bought 50 CB, 54 and 58 degree Cleveland RTX 2 wedges to go with my Srixon Z545 iron set with a 45 degree PW. I could only hit the 50 CB 5 yards further than the 54 blade and 20 yards shorter than the PW. Had the 50 CB bent to 48 degrees and the gapping was perfect. Just looking at the numbers (45, 48, 54) it would not seem to fit but it did.

It's recommended to have 4-6* gap between wedges but the key think it go keep the distance gap between 12-15 yards. Find the loft setup that gives you this yardage gap

With my previous wedge setup I went 48/52/56/60 but now I have 46/50/56/60. It's personal preference but so far I'm extremely happy.

I agree with the others here. From 100 yds in is the best part of my game. I have the callaway Mack daddy Pm 52, 56, 60 wedges. I would hit them and see which degrees feel the best. Also, try different bounces depending on the course you typically play on as far as the tirf, fairways, rough, etc.

My C200 gap wedge is 48* so I go 52*, 57* (bent from 56*) and 62* (bent from 60*). I like 5* between my wedges but needed 4* between the 48* and 52* as the C200 plays pretty long versus my Wishon wedges.

I am playing c200's as well and my wedges are 52 and a mack daddy pm grind 56. The pm grind is so versatile that I don't need a lower lofted club and it does just fine on full swings.

I'm in flux. I was carrying a 46, 50, 54, and 58; but I dropped the 54. I like there to be a greater distinction between the two shortest clubs i.e. pitch or flop. Still a work in progress.

This has been on my mind too since the Cleveland CBX irons have a 44 degree PW. I would have to see what my carry numbers are like but something like 48, 54 bent a degree strong, and then a 58 would get me in the right ballpark.

Back