Wedge setup advice

ken_h

Perpetual Hacker
Reaction score
Handicap
10.5 GHIN
Hey all,

Looking for some advice regarding wedge setup. I recently got a set of Cobra F6 irons which have PW (45º), GW (50º) and SW(55º). I'm used to have a 4 wedge setup, so I feel like I have 3 options here:
1. Playing my wedges as they are and just go with the 3.
2. Order a 52º Cobra PUR wedge and have it bent to 53º and have the SW bent to 56º for even gapping.
3. Ditch the set SW and get two PUR wedges at 54º and 58º

Do you guys think the 50-53-56 difference will be enough, or should I go with the 2 PUR wedges and have 50-54-58? Or is 4 wedges overkill anyway? I appreciate any thoughts, thanks!

I'm thinking about moving to 4 wedges as I'd like to be able to take some guess work out of the swings. Anyway...if you want four, why not keep the three you have - all at 5 degrees separation - and then just add a 60 degree? 45-50-55-60 gives you even spacing and the 60 would be solid at close range and to get over some hazards, etc.

Just seems like that's the easy way to go.

I'm thinking about moving to 4 wedges as I'd like to be able to take some guess work out of the swings. Anyway...if you want four, why not keep the three you have - all at 5 degrees separation - and then just add a 60 degree? 45-50-55-60 gives you even spacing and the 60 would be solid at close range and to get over some hazards, etc.

Just seems like that's the easy way to go.

I actually hadn't thought of that haha. I haven't had a ton of success with 60º wedges in the past, but you're right, it might be a good way to finish off the set with even gaps.

Personally I do option #3 and it works great for me. I haven't ever felt the need for more, I don't often full swing the 54/58 and I'm comfortable changing flight/distance with all the wedges.

I'm not a fan of set wedges beyond 50*, simply because those wedges I want the versatility to dig a ball out of the rough or hit from a bunker. But that's just me.

I wouldn't worry about degree as much as I would distance. If the F6 set wedges give you consistent yardage gaps 10-15 increments then the only question is are you comfortable with them out of the bunkers/around the greens? If they're not, maybe even add a 56 or something for sand shots or 52 for pitch shots. This is assuming you'll use your 56 degree for full swings, if you don't do that it must be a club your comfortable with around the greens.

I agree that keeping the 3 and adding a lob wedge is a sensible idea. That said...there is no reason a lob wedge has to be exactly 5 degrees weaker than your sand wedge. Anything with less bounce and more loft will work. A lob wedge, to me, is a specialty club. Whether it is a 58, 59, 60, 61, etc...makes no difference. All that matters is that it allow me to play shots, with the face square, that are problematic with a lower lofted club.

I think 4 is overkill BUT whatever suits your game.
I used to carry 50, 54, 58, 62 but I found that I didn't use my 54 and 62 at all. So I decided to go with my PW at 45, then 52 and 58. I worked on full, 3/4, 1/2 swings with each wedges and figure out the yardages I was getting. It's working out pretty well so far and I'm using my PW a lot more.
Also, since I'm only gaming these wedges, it makes more room for other clubs.

I would get 2 Pur wedges in 54/58.

If the WITB in your sig is somewhat accurate I'd might look into a completely different option. Play three wedges and fill the big gap I assume you're seeing between your 3h and 5i. I personally went away from a 45/50/54/58 wedge setup a couple years ago to add a 2nd hybrid that gave me another carry yardage option. My current 45/50/56 wedge setup gives me everything I had before and I'm no longer standing over scoring shots questioning whether I should be playing the 54 or 58. Back then it led to a lot of tentative efforts.

If the WITB in your sig is somewhat accurate I'd might look into a completely different option. Play three wedges and fill the big gap I assume you're seeing between your 3h and 5i. I personally went away from a 45/50/54/58 wedge setup a couple years ago to add a 2nd hybrid that gave me another carry yardage option. My current 45/50/56 wedge setup gives me everything I had before and I'm no longer standing over scoring shots questioning whether I should be playing the 54 or 58. Back then it led to a lot of tentative efforts.

I actually have an F6 4 Iron on the way to fill that gap at the top end.

I actually have an F6 4 Iron on the way to fill that gap at the top end.

I game the F6 irons. You'll LOVE that 4 iron!!

Depends on what courses you play and how use your wedges. I would agree with Schanker, loft isn't important, distance gaps and getting something that works for your game is.

I don't like hitting set wedges for flop or bunker shots, just doesn't set up for me, so I always carry one "bladed" wedge for those types of shots. I personally have always liked having a 4 wedge set up (45/50/54/58) but for a while I played 46/52/58 and it worked OK. My game now is really dependent on my wedges so I prefer to go with the 4 wedge setup but you may need something else for your game.

I like 4 wedges but it is all personal taste and yardage gaps. I have an odd set up in the top end which lets me get the 45/50/54/58. In a perfect world I would bend the 50 1* weak as the gap from 9 to PW is a bit smaller than PW to 50. Don't forget the bounce on the wedges depending on where you play and style ect. If you have a wedge you can hit square or open with a grind then you can easily game 3.

I don't think there is a right answer to this question beyond know your yardage for different swings with each wedge and game something you trust. A wedge you are afraid to pull when the pressure is on is very pointless.

Option 3 would be my choice.

I currently carry a 45* PW, 52*, 56* and 58* wedge.
I am seriously considering dropping my 4 iron from the bag and adding a 50* wedge.
I rarely use the 4 iron anyway.

Hey all,

Looking for some advice regarding wedge setup. I recently got a set of Cobra F6 irons which have PW (45º), GW (50º) and SW(55º). I'm used to have a 4 wedge setup, so I feel like I have 3 options here:
1. Playing my wedges as they are and just go with the 3.
2. Order a 52º Cobra PUR wedge and have it bent to 53º and have the SW bent to 56º for even gapping.
3. Ditch the set SW and get two PUR wedges at 54º and 58º

Do you guys think the 50-53-56 difference will be enough, or should I go with the 2 PUR wedges and have 50-54-58? Or is 4 wedges overkill anyway? I appreciate any thoughts, thanks!

I'd be a big fan of option 3. My favorite setup

Look at yardage instead of degrees°.
I thought if I spaced them according to degrees, everything would be perfect.

A buddy of mine owns a driving range with a pro-shop.
He let me take a bunch of wedges out and test.
I had a 52° and a 54 ° that I hit the same distance.
Also there were (2) 56° and I hit one of them 12 yards farther than the other.
If at all possible hit the wedges before you decide.

Depends whether you want an additional gap wedge (52 bent to 53) or a lob wedge. How do you play shots around the green? If you tend to take the ball lower and bump and run the 52 might be the better way to go.

I actually hadn't thought of that haha. I haven't had a ton of success with 60º wedges in the past, but you're right, it might be a good way to finish off the set with even gaps.

Add the 60 - i play the pur 54 bent to 55 and 60 going from a 54/58 setup and it works great

I used to play my G30 set wedges a few months back: PW (45), AW (50), SW (54), LW (58). I was very comfortable with them but wanted wedges that checked a bit more. I got a little too carried away and switched all my wedges with the MD3 ones: PW (46), AW (52), SW (56), LW (60). While I am very happy with the way the 52, 56 and 60 have played, I think switching the PW was overkill. It cost me some distance (about 10 yards) even though there is only a 1* difference. Also, going from 46 -> 52 is really not the best idea (from personal experience).

Honestly, if I were to do this all over again I would just go with swapping out my SW an LW with same loft wedges like Vokeys, MD3, RTX3, etc. and kept the G30 PW and AW.

Back