Wedge shafts, softer than the rest of the set?

bullwinkle

Reaction score
Same weight or heavier? I am currently trying out wedges that are the same weight/flex as the rest of my set-KBS Tour LITE S (used to a heavier wedge shaft set up). Also, just received a Cobra Snake Bite 58* w/ KBS Tour (R). I've never tried a wedge set up with R flex. Thanks for any feedback.

I thought that was pretty much the whole wedge flex, soft stepping idea since it’s supposedly not a full swing club?

I like whatever that S200 gig that Vokey does.

@Bosco... totally agree but if you are ordering outside of the true temper universe, what are the comparables to S200 with True Temper? You can find a mid point shaft R/S with KBS, but none of the wedge manufacturers offer it. Volkey offers KBS Tour Lite in R and S, but not the midpoint R/S that would be comparable to S200.

Ooooo…That’s a question for @Jman ….way above my pay grade, he knows all that stuff.

I usually use the same shaft, I’m going to experiment with the KBS Tour V wedge which is actually a bit stiffer than the iron shafts, curious to see how that works.

Same shaft as PW, but tipped 3/8". So slightly stiffer.

I usually use the same shaft, I’m going to experiment with the KBS Tour V wedge which is actually a bit stiffer than the iron shafts, curious to see how that works.
I have been under the impression that going softer by a bit with the wedges is preferable? Has this idea changed?

I typically put a project x 6.0 in my wedges (same as my irons) reason is it keeps the spin down for me.

Mine match my irons. I heard one Danny Le say don’t over think wedge shafts. So I switched to that set up.

I said that I match my irons to my fitter at ECPC. She just said “I love it”.

I have been under the impression that going softer by a bit with the wedges is preferable? Has this idea changed?
It is still the “usual” way to go, but I love the flight of the Tour V shafts and want to try the wedge shaft, they only make it in a 125 gram S+, my irons are 110 gram S flex, so it may be a short lived experiment.

I typically put a project x 6.0 in my wedges (same as my irons) reason is it keeps the spin down for me.
I am transitioning my irons to Cobra King Tour (from Cobra S3 pro) and decided to order wedge shafts that match my King Tour set (KBS Tour Lite S) for the first time.
The wedges are Volkey, but I did not receive them in time to play with them before I left Oxford MS for Utah after Thanksgiving.
I am biting at the bit to at least pitch and chip with them, but it's going to be Spring before I can do that.
Thanks for all of the information in this thread. Helpful.

PS- I also ordered a one off wedge from Cobra (58* Snakebite, versatile grind) with KBS Tour REG, which should be a little softer than the wedges in my King Tour set.
Cobra didn't offer KBS Tour Lite for the wedge lineup. The weather out here in UT hasn't been terribly snowy yet and I did find a day where I got to pitch around a green with the Snakebite and LM just say, wow! I was really impressed with the Snakebite. I am probably going to order a 54* to match it so that I have it in case they change the design.

Agree. I guess in my situation, I am transitioning to a much lighter shaft than I have ever played before and it's a BIG change pitching and chipping with a lite shaft like KBS Tour Lite vs. what I had in my wedges before True Temper Dyn Gold S300.

I matched my iron shafts with my Vokey’s. Love the consistency.

I also have wedges with the same LA golf shafts as my irons. AW, SW, low bounce lob, high bounce lob.
But, I chip best with an 8H. Like a putter on steroids.
I also have a Gap wedge with a KBS shaft for partial swings.

I don’t know. I have Modus 120S in my irons and Modus 125 wedge shafts in one set of wedges and Modus 115 wedge in the other. I don’t know what a wedge flex is supposed to be

I have Project X 5.5 in irons and KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 S flex in wedges. Wedge shafts are 10 grams heavier, but I'm not sure about the actual flex difference. I will say I like these wedge shafts.

Back