Minatophase3

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I have never paid a lot of attention to shafts, but recently was fitted into a new set of PXG irons with Mitsubishi MMT 105 S shafts. I have 3 wedges 54, 58 & 62 that all have DG S300 shafts in them and I seem to hit them fine. My previous irons also had the DG S300 shafts so the wedges matched.

How important is it to have similar type of shafts in your wedges? I see Mitsubishi makes a MMT Scoring Wedge 105 S, am wondering if switching to that shaft so that all irons & wedges would have the same shaft would be beneficial or would it not be worth the money?

What does everyone else do?

I have never paid a lot of attention to shafts, but recently was fitted into a new set of PXG irons with Mitsubishi MMT 105 S shafts. I have 3 wedges 54, 58 & 62 that all have DG S300 shafts in them and I seem to hit them fine. My previous irons also had the DG S300 shafts so the wedges matched.

How important is it to have similar type of shafts in your wedges? I see Mitsubishi makes a MMT Scoring Wedge 105 S, am wondering if switching to that shaft so that all irons & wedges would have the same shaft would be beneficial or would it not be worth the money?

Big advocate of the same. imo, The worst thing you can have in wedges is different shafts that lead to uncertain distances or actions - you are using those for precision. Consistency is an important element of that.

I think I’ve only had the same shaft one time. Didn’t notice any kind of improvement. That doesn’t mean there isn’t benefit, but I’ve had different wedge shafts and even different shafts in wedges and I’ve been totally fine. And I think my wedge game is a big strength of my game

It’s important that the wedge shafts fit your swing and your approach to the game. Many tour pros have wedge shafts that are different than their iron shafts, or even play wedges with softer or stiffer shafts.

I’ve been using the same shafts as my irons for a while now. I like the consistent feel.

I have graphite in my wedges and steel in my irons. Similar profile though the graphite are a little heavier

I have MMT 105 TX from my 60* to my 4 iron. I don't think I could have graphite in irons and steel in wedges, might feel pretty weird. My other set I have graphite iron shafts in 9-4 and the graphite wedge shafts in my P-60.

Actually I realized that I have 90 gram DART TSPX in my irons, and Modus 105 wedge flex in my 54 and 59 wedges. I don’t have negative issues with the difference. I do think the heavier wedge shafts help my feel with partial shots around the greens.

I have graphite in my wedges and steel in my irons. Similar profile though the graphite are a little heavier

Interesting that is the reverse of what I would usually think.

I have graphite in my irons and steel in my wedges. My iron shafts are 95g and my wedge shafts are 115. I don’t have a problem swapping between them. I did ask Danny Le about what I should look at if I went graphite and he recommended 105g in the wedges.

I have the same shafts as my irons in my set wedges (PW and AW), but I was fit into PX Catalyst wedge shafts in my 54° and 58°. It makes sense to me because I use them differently than irons - they're very rarely full swing clubs and are used for mostly "touch" shots.

I play the same shaft in my irons and wedges.

Interesting that is the reverse of what I would usually think.

I have graphite in my irons and steel in my wedges. My iron shafts are 95g and my wedge shafts are 115. I don’t have a problem swapping between them. I did ask Danny Le about what I should look at if I went graphite and he recommended 105g in the wedges.
Honestly it’s only because I was fit into them at CC. I like them but not sure if it’s worth the cost. If I got new wedges I’d probably go back to steel, for no particular reason.

Good info so far, looks like no set answer. I am leaning towards changing the shafts to be more consistent. The MMT 105 S shafts for wedges are actually 113 gr so they are a bit heavier and would be mid launch like my irons where the S300s are low launch. I do take full shots with all of my wedges as well as touch shots around the green.

I don’t think shaft material between wedges and irons is a big deal. Even if the difference is 25-30 grams.

I switched into the same shaft as irons in wedges for my last two sets. I really like the consistency in feel.

I just talked to my fitter about this in my fitting last week with CC. He said they always match the iron shafts to keep the consistency of everything

Same shafts in wedges and irons. I use my GW and SW for full swings, so I want a consistent progression from irons through the wedges. The exception is my LW, which I like to be a little softer.

My new wedges will have the same shafts as my irons. This will be the first time i have done that.

Back