slimjim32

Reaction score
Handicap
Who has made the switch from the standard set PW to a specialty wedge, like a 46* or 48*?

For those of you that have, did you go back to your set's PW or are you still rocking the 46/48? Was there a major change in playing characteristics that you had to get use to (significantly shorter, more spin) or was it an easy transition?

I ask because I'm wondering if a specialty wedge would be a better fit for me and my game vice my PW. Also, I'm curious what types of changes I would see going from a PW to say, a 46*.

Ive done it before. Years ago when consistency was an issue in larger clubs, I think it had a lot of merit. In my opinion, outside of a golfer preferring to do lots of flighting, or just personal preference in looks, I am not sure its necessary.

I did for a while (special thanks to @kc720) when I was playing Titleist CBs. Eventually I went back to the set PW since the specialty wedge added a bit more spin on full shots and cost me some distance. I do currently play a specialty wedge in the GW slot in my current setup. In modern sets I tend to think this is the more logical crossover point.

I did for a while (special thanks to @kc720) when I was playing Titleist CBs. Eventually I went back to the set PW since the specialty wedge added a bit more spin on full shots and cost me some distance. I do currently play a specialty wedge in the GW slot in my current setup. In modern sets I tend to think this is the more logical crossover point.

You say it cost you some distance, do you recall how much shorter you were? Also, do you know what loft the PW and specialty wedge were? My apprehension to making the switch really comes down to distance and how much of a gap I will end up creating

You say it cost you some distance, do you recall how much shorter you were? Also, do you know what loft the PW and specialty wedge were? My apprehension to making the switch really comes down to distance and how much of a gap I will end up creating

Swapped the 716cb PW out for an RTX3 at the same loft (46°) It was roughly 8y shorter on full shots on average, plus some spin back (that I didn’t always figure on because I wasn’t (and still am not) a good enough ball striker to figure it in. The set wedge was a hop and stop shot and distance was very predictable on good shots.

I’ve never done this for a few reasons. I practice plenty and grooves don’t wear quick enough to reduce spin so I can back the stock pw up on full swings from 140, stop it very quick on partial swings from 135-120. My set pw is 47 degrees.
I promise a replacement pw would spin a ton more and it would hurt me very much. Right now I can flight the stock pw as needed. High low fade draw and straight. It’s a Mizuno mp-30 btw. Purchased new with set in 2005!!!!!!!

So all you guys buying irons every year are show boating lol. I’ve worn quarter size dots in all the faces and have probably hit 10,000 balls a year between 2005-2010 playing about twice a week for 30 weeks. Then I stopped being able to practice as much and I’d say I play 25-40 times a year and only hit about 1,000 practice balls per year.
5 iron down to PW stops or backs up with dynamic gold x100’s. Plenty of height but I can say I hate the 4 iron. Lol. Soft stepped once but still too small to hit high and flush but oddly 5 iron is almost a favorite club. Hit it from 200 to 195.

I’d love to try an after market replacement but most do this because they hit 1,000 balls per week! And wear through the groves on their stock so they get accustomed to playing the aftermarket ones. You will lose distance due to shaft length differences plus launch angle and angle of decent.

For me I love the stock pw that comes with players iron sets. It fits right in and looks the part. If you can’t flight your 7 iron you’re not flighting an aftermarket wedge in the pw loft.

Takes practice is all but the same technique is used through the whole set. Take it back to about 75%, swing at about 80%, hit down on the ball trapping it and finish low with the club out in front. Don’t let the face turn over too much though. You’ll hit them crisp with plenty of green holding spin and you’ll control distances better. Flies lower, punches through the wind and I find it feels great to punch a lower one in to one hop n stop.

i haven't done it and really don't know why i ever would. i full swing the pw way too much, so don't want to sacrifice the forgiveness. i can flight and shape my cf19 pw to fit my personal needs.

Ive done it before. Years ago when consistency was an issue in larger clubs, I think it had a lot of merit. In my opinion, outside of a golfer preferring to do lots of flighting, or just personal preference in looks, I am not sure its necessary.

The same probably goes for ~50* Gap/Approach wedges in sets with 44-46* PW's. If you are only going to full swing it and it's offered as part of a set it's probably better to go with the set version over a blade 50*. At the very least for distance gaps and consistency.

My pw and gw are full swing clubs for me. No good reason to not use the set wedges.
I haven’t tried replacing my PW, I’ve used a GW that’s not part of a set though.

Who has made the switch from the standard set PW to a specialty wedge, like a 46* or 48*?

For those of you that have, did you go back to your set's PW or are you still rocking the 46/48? Was there a major change in playing characteristics that you had to get use to (significantly shorter, more spin) or was it an easy transition?

I ask because I'm wondering if a specialty wedge would be a better fit for me and my game vice my PW. Also, I'm curious what types of changes I would see going from a PW to say, a 46*.
I purchased a 46* RTX. I did not hit it as well as my PW from my set, so that is what I game.

Never acted on it but the idea crossed my mind many a time. It may happen soon though would be a good look

Do you know the current loft of your 9 iron? Stating the obvious, it would make sense to see whether a 46 degree wedge would gap in as your pw. That being said, I don’t think you would notice much difference, provided the two wedges had similar gapping. Your Wishon irons (which I admired greatly during our round together), looked to be fairly straightforward cavity back, players irons. I would think either wedge would perform similarly on full swings.

Most wedges come with s200/s300 or some type of wedge shaft designed for wedges. His wishon set more than likely has something else and due to more bite on the 46 aftermarket va stock 46 pw is probably the difference. Higher launch steeper decent and lots more spin will shortens most wedge shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back