Wedges and options regarding the different brands.

Tac852413

T.Cooper
Reaction score
Handicap
Well this week I am blessed to be on vacation and believe it or not I have the house to myself and I have been enjoying the peace and quiet! With that being said I have been able to give some more attention to my golf bag. Unusually it stays with me in my vehicle most of the time, so since I have this extra time today I am planning to go by the local golf shop and grab myself 2 new wedges. I have been playing w 2 older
Cleaveland wedges for sometime now. The Titelest and Ping wedges are the "brands" that caught my eye. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I'm really liking my Ping Glide 2 60* around the greens.

I currently have 2 Ping demo sand wedges in 54* and 56* trying to get the gap in the bag right. I had been using the 54* S wedge that comes with my irons but I am finding it not versatile enough. I have been using both of these clubs for everything from full shots, pitches, chipping and bunker work and can't fault either of them. They have a nice feel about them and the spin is the "stop on a dime" type spin that is sometimes needed. Can't comment on the Titleist sorry as my OCD triggers if I try to put another brand in the bag.

Depends on what you're getting. For a lob wedge I really like the long toe with full milling across the face. The TaylorMade Hi-Toe and Callaway PM Grind wedges fit that bill. In the sand wedge type loft this is really going to depend on what you want out of the club and the feel and look that suits your eye. Everyone has good products out there you just need to find the one that suits you.

I have been playing w the clubs I currently have for an extended an number years. I'll probably get a 54 degree and a 60 degree. I am only curious to hear what others my have to?

I use my set gap wedge, but it is quite a bit different than the PW, however I really like the gapping and the feel for the club. I then use a 54* Vokey M Grind. The M grind seems to be very versatile as I feel comfortable with this club all the way up to a full swing and I can easily chip and pitch with it. The Hi Toe 60* is the first lob wedge I have ever gotten along with. It has a rounded leading edge which at least makes me feel like I can actually get under the ball with the club.

I absolutely love my Ping Glide Forged wedges. I haven't tried the regular Glide 2.0 so I cant compare. The new Cleveland RTX4's are incredible. sharp grooves with great spin... Also the RTX4's in my opinion come with the best stock shaft off the shelf in the DG Tour Issue S400

I had the Vokey SM7's for some of last year and hated them. I never felt like I had good feel/touch with them. The Glide Forged replaced them last year and the RTX4 I've had about a month and love it.... Only downside is price. Glide Forged are $200 and RTX$ are $139. If I never had the Ping's to know how much I like them, then I'd gladly game 3 RTX4's instead

I love the sole design and overall shape of the RTX4’s. My club has a lot of tight lies and the V sole of the RTX wedges is the most versatile of any wedge I’ve owned.

I love the sole design and overall shape of the RTX4’s. My club has a lot of tight lies and the V sole of the RTX wedges is the most versatile of any wedge I’ve owned.

+1 Excellent wedges!

Agree with this as well. The Cleveland line is very, very good.

I don't think you could go wrong with either choice. I have Titleist wedges now and have had good success with them.

You can't go wrong with any brand.
Currently I play Glide 2.0 in 50,54, 58. They perform well, good feel and the 58 does everything well.
Of course, the grind is the key. The Ping Stealth offers a great look and a tad more spin. The determining factor in favor of Ping, I wanted graphite and could get my fit at a lower price.

Looking for a 54? Look and feel would be #1 for me. The Cleveland V sole could be the most versatile to prevent digging and get through the rough. I successfully played the V sole before the Pings.

The 60*? How will it be used?
If you want the ultimate around the green......TM Hi-Toe or Cally PM are the first that come to mind. The PM, through the roof a performance machine but might? take some extra work to master. I have a 60 PM first version and it is a lob and stop spin machine. I chose not to use the PM as I don't have the time to make sure it is the right wedge for that spot. That reasoning could only be mental and not a true issue.

Looking to save some cash? Ben Hogan........... and a V sole design along the lines of the Cleveland but fewer options. They have a 2 week demo program, via mail, but there could be a wait.

Good luck, with the right grind you can't go wrong. Enjoy your quiet time.

Well I just returned from the golf shop. The Titelest wedges are now in my bag! After trying them all, I felt like there was really no wrong choice. The only reason I ended up with the Titelest wedges was because for whatever reason the shop owner offered to give me a discount. I didn't complain! So this afternoon will be a great time for me to take out on the course.
My next big decision is what new putter I will purchase? The wedges were an easy choice. So within the next few days I'll be trying to figure out what to go with. Thanks again for the input.

That’s awesome Tac

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This afternoon's round of golf was very nice. The Titelest wedges I picked up this morning did exactly what I expected and look nice in my golf bag. I was able to hit some nice approach shots aswell stopping the ball on the greens. Only 2 more days of vacation remain and I think the forecast is calling for another 18 holes of golf. Next golfing challenge is my new putter situation!

Back