Wedges: Bounce or Grind

Bounce, for sure. The more the merrier.

This is one of the most confusing things for me. Mainly because I need to learn more about it. I always usually just choose whatever is for the most players.

I completely understand your feelings. I would just say, whenever choosing a wedges unless you are lucky enough to get fit for one. Error on the side of more bounce.

Bounce, but I'm sure the grind can play a role in how a given degree of bounce performs. I know too much bounce can be a detriment to a flat swing on tight lies. I also know that I can produce shots significantly better with my sons 60M (bent to 58.06) than I could with my PXG 58.12 forged wedge.

That being said, I decided to try a TM Hi Toe 60 ATV this time which is listed at having 12* of bounce. The flat area milled into the front-center of the sole makes the club sit much lower than my 58.12 would when set up square/neutral. I haven't been able to use it yet, but I had a good experience with the first gen ATV wedges so I thought it was worth a shot. I use a lob wedge almost exclusively around greens, so I'm hoping the ATV will allow the club to sit flush on tight lies, while the 12* of bounce will come in handy if I decide to open the club up some in thicker lies or in greenside bunkers.

I think the combination of bounce and grind have to work together along with sole width. 10* of bounce is going to play very different in a narrow sole C grind versus a Cally W grind or Cleveland V sole.

What’s your Angle of Attack and what Bounce are you looking for? Has your angle changed recently?

Not sure of the numbers as I have yet to be custom fit. I have the versatile grind in the gap and sand wedge. Wide low in my lob wedge as it’s not used for for full shots mainly. Over the past years I have been getting more steep with my swing something I am trying to work on

What’s more important for you when selecting new wedges?

Do you go with Bounce before Grind or vice versa?

50°- 56° I’ll go Bounce option before grind, but 58° - 60° I’ll go Grind, just based on my uses.

If your OEM of choice offers both, let’s say they didn’t.
Bounce and Grind are too interrelated to leave one out -- one can play a high bounce wedge with lots of grind in the right places, and you'll get more spin over a more comfortable bounce number without the correct grind for your swing.

The proper combination makes it perfect but I'm confident I could play a wedge with proper bounce and less than ideal grind. I don't think the reverse of that is true for me.

Back