Wedges from the sand

YetiLooper

Reaction score
Handicap
Why do wedges seem to spin more from the sand? Do they actually spin more and if so why?

I suspect that sometimes we do get more spin from the sand because we do not make clean contact from the grass and the grass is slippery. There may be more friction cause by contact with the sand/club/ball tha there is by grass/club/ball.

depends on the lie in the bunker and the contact being made. If you are getting ball first and making impact with the grooves and not thinning it, itll spin the same out of a bunker as it would a chip from a tight lie

Mine seem to spin less. When I make contact the way I intend to on a bunker shot, the ball seems to get lobbed up on the green by the sand and land soft with little movement to a small amount of roll out.

When I hit a wedge as intended from a tight lie, the ball does the one hop stop and looks like it's skidding on the green surface.

If wedges spin more out of the sand, I'd venture to bet that speed is the main reason. Speed creates spin and most swing harder in a bunker than on a chip.

Total guess though with no science behind that thought

Most pro's don't seem to get a ton of spin out of bunker shots either. Especially compared to their own pitch shots 20-50 yards out.

That was a beutiful side-spinner out of the sand you hit yesterday, Yeti. I don't think anyone expected that to check up so beautifully. Mine seem to either barely escape the sand or just fly, fly away which somewhat indicates I hit it poorly. I suspect that at "our" level, the spin depends on the proper strike

It should actually spin less if you hit sand before ball. In that case, the ball should also land a little softer which would make any amount of spin more effective.

I suspect that sometimes we do get more spin from the sand because we do not make clean contact from the grass and the grass is slippery. There may be more friction cause by contact with the sand/club/ball tha there is by grass/club/ball.

I have to agree with this.

Back