Wedges & Full Swings

GolfinFF, Do you ever follow the same mentality you use for your irons with your driver and/or 3 wood? Just curious why on the clubs you said you have the least control on, you swing 100%? May sacrifice a few yards, but that's better than not having control I would think. I try not to swing 100% on any of my clubs but sometimes ego gets the better of me. Not a big deal, just curious is all.

For me at least it's not a gapping issue with full swings its accuracy over distance. I use partial swings for accuracy distance control and left right accuracy plus turf interaction.

Heck the only clubs in my bag I full 100% swing are driver & 3wd which I have the least control over. When I hit irons I go for a smooth controlled swing that leaves something in the tank because I'm much more accurate this way and only loose about 5-8yds off a full swing.

For me at least it's not a gapping issue with full swings its accuracy over distance. I use partial swings for accuracy distance control and left right accuracy plus turf interaction.

I echo this. I rarely hit full wedge shots and find that since I've stopped trying and started hitting 3/4 and 1/2 shots, my accuracy (and more importantly, scoring) have improved drastically.

I use my 50 and 54 with full swings quite often. My Hopkins 54 is one of my favorite clubs to swing full with. I don't use a full swing with my 60 often though.

I hardly ever use my wedges for full swings any more. I have found I can keep my trajectory down and get a little more spin and have a little more control if I use them for 1/2 or 3/4 shots. Shots I used to use my 52 degree wedge for I now just use my PW. It has definitely led to shorter putts.

I do quite often. I love my current 55* and really enjoy hitting it. When I am 90-100 or so - That baby is getting the call!

I would say less than 10 percent of the time will I use a full swing. I've learned to really enjoy 3/4 swings and the control I've gained with them. 9 iron on down for matter, not just the wedges in my bag.
Pretty much this^^

GolfinFF, Do you ever follow the same mentality you use for your irons with your driver and/or 3 wood? Just curious why on the clubs you said you have the least control on, you swing 100%? May sacrifice a few yards, but that's better than not having control I would think. I try not to swing 100% on any of my clubs but sometimes ego gets the better of me. Not a big deal, just curious is all.

I have and I still miss its a swing flaw with those two clubs for me. I'm working on taming the beasts the way I can control the wedges

I will with my 52*, but very rarely with my 55*. Once in that close I would rather choke down on a slightly longer club and still aggressive with my swing and flight the shot in.

I frequently swing my 52* at full, and my 60* when I need more height, but I rarely do a full swing with my 56* come to think of it

I rarely take full swings with my two most lofted wedges. Better to take less loft and a less than full swing when I get in that close to the green. Even the professionals can't pull off the perfect shot 100% of the time with a full swing, but you odds go up with swings less than full.

I was just thinking about this yesterday while I was out on the course playing. I had a couple of shots where I was between my 52* and 56* wedge and had to determine if I wanted to take all of the 56* or just a nice 3/4 52*. The answer was I usually took the nice controlled 3/4 52* all but once and it worked every time but once. The one time I took the 56* I came up short on the front of the green, but below the hole. Another time with the 52* I got to much of it and it went over the back of the pin and left me with a downhill putt. Personally...given the choice though, most of the time I'm going to take a controlled shot over a full, go after it wedge swing.

I take full swings quite often with my 52* and the 56*.
My 52* is 120 yards at the full comfortable swing and probably my favorite short iron to hit.
The 56* is 105 at the full swing.
The 58* does not get the full swing that much.

I have and I still miss its a swing flaw with those two clubs for me. I'm working on taming the beasts the way I can control the wedges

Cool. Thanks for the reply. Good luck with getting it worked out.

Less than 100 yards I have been at range testing using a Stricker type very little hinge swing and having better success with it than using pels clock system--after this thread I have taken that up to some of the other clubs to get the same distance as the full swing wedges with a no hinge 3/4 type. For example the D (49*) 3/4 with Stricker style seems like it could be a safer shot at 100 than the full 58 moon ball. The moon ball is still great over the tree though. Will have to see how it holds under pressure though.

Not very often. With the fairway and green combos around here, a full swing generates too much spin and the ball backs up to much to be effective. I'd rather go 3/4 grip, 3/4 swing on the next one down to control it when it lands.

I love a full-swing wedge. I can hit my numbers nearly every time. (Even if my accuracy leaves something to be desired.)

All the time. Full lob goes 85 and full sw goes 105. More confidence and good check. Anything less I'll go with a partial swing.

I'll take a full swing with the 60 occasionally but not very often.

Depends a lot on the shot itself. If I have a lot of green to work with, I will usually club down a flight the ball lower. If I don't have much green to work with, I'll take a full swing with a wedge and come in from a higher angle.

Love to hit full shots with 52/56 and I cant remember the last time I hit a full 60.

50* - Any shot
54* - Any shot
58* - I can not hit it full, only use it short sided,delicate shots and bunkers.

I do hit all my wedges with full shots, however I am doing it less and less. I find that I make mistakes more often with full wedge shots compared to 3/4 and 1/2 shots with my PW or AW. Distance control also seems to be an issue for me on full wedge shots.

I use to a lot. Have since quit it. Now my PW and AW are now like my irons and are full swing clubs. The 54 is half swing at best

Wedges & Full Swings

As of the last 2-3 months, that's all I use them for. I've started exclusively using my putter stroke with a 9 iron around the green and it's helped out a lot with scoring. My 54/58 degree wedges are only used for full swings now at their respective distances. I will club down from the tee to leave myself the appropriate distance to take a full swing to the green because my partial swings are simply inconsistent and end up equalling another chip or a bump and run or any other method that could yet again add a stroke to the card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Hit my gap and sand on full shots or close to full many times during a round. I would say a time or two on the lob during the round. If playing good, rarely on the lob. If I am sucking it up and get behind trees or trouble, quite often.

Back