Weekday Am Golfers : how hard was it to find a group to play with?

Mystery Meat

Ben Hogan Fan
Reaction score
Handicap
Bad Gas
For all golfers out there who play strictly weekday mornings (tee off before 9am). How hard was it for you to find a consistent group to join up with. Most of the general golfing public works during these hours and many men's clubs are usually weekends only. Took me 5 seasons to find a consistent group that only plays at this time of day on a daily basis. Before this I would usually get matched up with random partners or even play single if the course allowed. Having a great time now going out knowing my group will be there.

Anyone else who plays these days and hours had trouble finding a group? If you were successful how did you meet them?

I do. Play with some people from work

I do shift work and have about a dozen or so guys on my shift that play golf, so i can usually find someone keen. Otherwise our course isnt to busy during the week so id end by myself a lot.

Back when I was much younger, I did some night road work projects so I was home during the day and the only guys that played daily in the mornings were the "old" guys, so it was hard at times to hook up with someone my age, but there were always some 2nd. or 3rd. shift guys around. Now that I'm one of the "old" guys, there are groups that play skins every morning so it you just show up and play.

I do shift work and have about a dozen or so guys on my shift that play golf, so i can usually find someone keen. Otherwise our course isnt to busy during the week so id end by myself a lot.
That is what I have is 4 co workers/ me and now 3 guys we picked up from a few rounds back . Now if I can just get them to start gambling a bit. Won't push it , I'm having such a great time with all of them when we play. This is what golf is all about

I don't play too much during the week, especially not mornings but at my home course there's a large group of retired guys that play daily. They're fun to play with and are absolutely hilarious! I sometimes play in with them during weekends.

There are a number of guys who regularly tee off between 7 and 8:30. If times are good, I will join. If not, I play alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I used to,play weekday morning rounds I didn't care of I found a group or went out as a single.

I am retired and all my mornings are open. Where I live (just north of Daytona) almost every course (and there are a few) has morning groups or leagues. Where I mostly play, every day but Sunday has several early morning groups. I moved here 4 years ago and just began showing up and stuck with the groups that I liked. I play T/Th/Sat with different groups (groups vary in size from 8 to about 24) and we always tee off between 8 and 9, with the large group using a shotgun start. The course is public but very accomodating as most of us pay a yearly membership fee and almost always have lunch in the club after. I've found that most golfers are friendly and welcome newcomers.. Not all, but most. Just begin showing up, talk to a few guys on the range before the round or in the bar after and see if they are open to having a new guy play with them. You'd be surprised... going solo is fun sometimes, but playing with a group is fun and relaxing for me...

I use the app golfmatch to find people to play when the opportunity comes up where I can play during the day.

Hard enough that I haven't done it. I play almost exclusively during the week, but I usually play in the afternoons (or whenever I can get a hot deal).

I suppose I really couldn't say how hard it would be, because I haven't made any effort at it. I actually like playing alone. I enjoy playing with a few particular fellas on the odd occasion I get a weekend round in, but otherwise I like to be all by myself.

My best case scenario is booking as a single and not getting teamed up with anyone. Breezing through a round in 2-2.5 hours is awesome.

When I play weekdays around sunrise, I usually go alone and just play with anyone the starter pairs me with. About 50% of the time I end up alone. Love the 2:45 - 3 hour rounds.

I live in a 55+ community and when I joined the local golf league I was lucky enough to find 3 other golfers to play with during the week. We all like teeing off early (7:00 am in the Summer) and we all have about the same handicap, and hit the ball about the same distances. I get to play with them about 3 times per week (monday thru friday), in addition to the league. We play fast and we all get along great!

Back