Weight shift and trail foot

pinseeker

"Non renunciare mai quello che desideri"
Reaction score
Handicap
TBD
Probably not something I should worry about, but I have noticed that I really do not get up on my trail big toe. I don't think it has to do with needing more turn. Its just that I do not seem to get that athletic "pose" as demonstrated by pro golfers. Perhaps it is attributed to a balance thing, At set up I feel as though I have a 60/40 weight distribution. My follow through is sometimes a little short unless I try to intentionally get higher.

Pull Hook, however I have been told I am also aligned too much left of target.
Before you try the below, see Disclaimer

It sounds like you're stalling and releasing early through the shot and using your upper body to power the swing. This is fine if you have physical limitations and don't get enough height on your shots. Regardless, I would tell you to try and use your feet/legs more.

Any physical limitations? If not, I would also try and get your body to rotate more by feeling your feet corkscrew into the ground and have your shoulders open up earlier. And at the same time, try to have more passive hands through the shot and a feeling like your arms lag behind you. OR, you can try fo feel like you Finish with your belt pointing left of the target and fully extend your pelvis towards the ball...kind of a photo finish.

Disclaimer: Please note, I would really need to see your swing DL & FO to confirm 👆

Another thing you can try to feel that might be simpler is that your trail foot pulls backwards towards your but. Sounds weird, but this will activate the muscles you use to rotate and is a feel some can use to get better lower body rotation.

Careful making some of these changes, depending on how your face is, and if you use video, you may open a can of worms and not know how to fix resulting reactions. You won't screw anything up, but you may react and try to fix something that isn't there when you change one thing.

For example, the more you rotate, the more you have to have the face shut, or shut the face using lead hand flexion, or you'll shank it or push it right.

Another thing you can try to feel that might be simpler is that your trail foot pulls backwards towards your but. Sounds weird, but this will activate the muscles you use to rotate and is a feel some can use to get better lower body rotation.

Careful making some of these changes, depending on how your face is, and if you use video, you may open a can of worms and not know how to fix resulting reactions. You won't screw anything up, but you may react and try to fix something that isn't there when you change one thing.

For example, the more you rotate, the more you have to have the face shut, or shut the face using lead hand flexion, or you'll shank it or push it right.
Thank you. One thing I have found that helps, is to actually place trail foot to feel as if I am already starting to lift my heel. When I do that, I have a better follow through and am on my trail big Toe. You are correct in that I don't feel as though I am using the ground as much. While it is not an arm swing. As for video, It doesn't work for me as I am too camera aware and swing feels contrived. I pretty much have lead hand flexion (bowed), and usually am flat wristed through impact and no apparent flipping but do pretty much release naturally. Thanks again, I will work on one thing at a time.

Oh, I should also have mentioned, that I have never had an actual, live lesson. I try not to follow every online instruction I come across, but do acknowledge a point from time to time. My "go to, fall back" type of instruction would be those such as Martin Chuck. I will look at Paul Wilson, but find myself dismissing/disregarding in entirety most of what he says, but find some basic, "feels" helpful, at times (example, passive arms, loose wrists). I started playing actual rounds in the late sixties, but taking lengthy hiatus's sometimes for months, if not years at a time. I am playing more now, but alas, am chronologically impaired. FWIW, my lowest score ever was 78, currently high 80's low 90's with frequent blow up rounds.

Oh, I should also have mentioned, that I have never had an actual, live lesson. I try not to follow every online instruction I come across, but do acknowledge a point from time to time. My "go to, fall back" type of instruction would be those such as Martin Chuck. I will look at Paul Wilson, but find myself dismissing/disregarding in entirety most of what he says, but find some basic, "feels" helpful, at times (example, passive arms, loose wrists). I started playing actual rounds in the late sixties, but taking lengthy hiatus's sometimes for months, if not years at a time. I am playing more now, but alas, am chronologically impaired. FWIW, my lowest score ever was 78, currently high 80's low 90's with frequent blow up rounds.
Chronologically impaired-CI-Good one-one of the things I like about golf, is still being able to do something at my age, which keeps me thinking and keeps me moving.

And as my CI friends tell me-if I keep moving and thinking, I'll keep moving and thinking.

Us CI's need to maintain strength and flexibility to reduce blow up holes. Birdies are a rare sighting.

Chronologically impaired-CI-Good one-one of the things I like about golf, is still being able to do something at my age, which keeps me thinking and keeps me moving.

And as my CI friends tell me-if I keep moving and thinking, I'll keep moving and thinking.

Us CI's need to maintain strength and flexibility to reduce blow up holes. Birdies are a rare sighting.
Thanks. At least I am not unduly afflicted with the dreaded CRS disease....."Can't remember S**t."

Before you try the below, see Disclaimer

It sounds like you're stalling and releasing early through the shot and using your upper body to power the swing. This is fine if you have physical limitations and don't get enough height on your shots. Regardless, I would tell you to try and use your feet/legs more.

Any physical limitations? If not, I would also try and get your body to rotate more by feeling your feet corkscrew into the ground and have your shoulders open up earlier. And at the same time, try to have more passive hands through the shot and a feeling like your arms lag behind you. OR, you can try fo feel like you Finish with your belt pointing left of the target and fully extend your pelvis towards the ball...kind of a photo finish.

Disclaimer: Please note, I would really need to see your swing DL & FO to confirm 👆

I have the same issue lately - and I know it's about hands and my body not continuing to the finish.

Is it more about relaxing the arms and body, and just following through?

The instruction I was given was to "feel" more, think about the high bomb, and to keep turning the body through the ball. He likes a passive hands approach but when you are going for it, I think that I get "tight."

Oh, I should also have mentioned, that I have never had an actual, live lesson.
I probably wouldn't have, except a local store that has a driving range, practice putting greens, bunkers, etc. offers economical beginner and intermediate classes. I took my first lesson Monday and found that, as good as I had thought my swing was becoming, I'd been doing it all wrong. So it's a good thing I decided to take that class.

I've been practicing twice-a-day, since, working to get it right. Finally, late yesterday afternoon, it started to click. And what made it finally start to click was practicing my short game with a 9i. Goal was to chip it a mere ten yards or so.

The thing is: A new swing--or, as in my case, correcting a bad swing--has so many components: Grip, stance, arms, the swing itself. Heh... at one point I felt I was getting them all right, but it still wasn't working, when I realized "Duh. You're watching your swing, rather than keeping your eye on the ball." Fixed that and it started happening.

It might be worth your while to invest in instruction. Even if it's just one lesson.

...alas, am chronologically impaired.
As am I. Starting at age 69, never having so much as swung a club before in my life. A little strength training and flexibility exercises can go a long way. You'll probably not achieve the flexibility of a young man, unless you're genetically advantaged (I'm not), but you can probably do a lot better than you are.

Oh, I am not minimizing the value of lessons. I've got a decent swing but there is always room for improvement. At my age, it is just not a priority. I do not compete, and score is not as relevant. I like to play solo, rarely plan an outing with others but at the same time enjoy the company I am often paired up with as a walk on. Often times, I find that although many out drive me, they are all over the place and I feel better about my own comparative play. If I were to play more than once a week on a consistent basis, I am confident I would shave 6 or 7 strokes, maybe more. I maintain a spread sheet using proper GHIN rules and formulae, mostly to account for the different course ratings and the self satisfaction of messing around with excel, automation e.t.c. Admittedly, strength training is something I really should do more of.

Easiest way to get to the front foot is to narrow your stance. You can even practice with your feet together.
Some guys will fan out their back foot to get a little more turn. Fan the front one out toward your target to help get on that front foot. That helps with hip limitations especially. Sounds like a little flexibilty/over the top swing at play. You're setting up left because swing path is resulting in left to right flight, I assume?
You'll go left because you are relying on timing at that point and squaring up the face at impact. Body and arms have to match and be in sync. Headcovers under the arms is an awesome drill for that. Chest up, facing target in the follow through. That "staying tall" feeling you are experiencing on some shots when you focus on it. (y)

Easiest way to get to the front foot is to narrow your stance. You can even practice with your feet together.
Some guys will fan out their back foot to get a little more turn. Fan the front one out toward your target to help get on that front foot. That helps with hip limitations especially. Sounds like a little flexibilty/over the top swing at play. You're setting up left because swing path is resulting in left to right flight, I assume?
You'll go left because you are relying on timing at that point and squaring up the face at impact. Body and arms have to match and be in sync. Headcovers under the arms is an awesome drill for that. Chest up, facing target in the follow through. That "staying tall" feeling you are experiencing on some shots when you focus on it. (y)
Thats my point, I am not setting up left intentionally. I think I am straight, but playing partners remark they thought I was setting up left purposefully. While it is true that I sometimes will fade back in to middle fairway from the left side, more often than not, it is a straight pull. You are also correct that I have to guard against an OTT. I have a vision problem that might contribute. I have an upper right hyper that sometimes presents a double image. I turn or tilt to bring the images together. This is an automatic movement, almost subconsious The "staying tall" is also definitely beneficial as is focusing on a distant mountain range.

Thats my point, I am not setting up left intentionally. I think I am straight, but playing partners remark they thought I was setting up left purposefully. While it is true that I sometimes will fade back in to middle fairway from the left side, more often than not, it is a straight pull. You are also correct that I have to guard against an OTT. I have a vision problem that might contribute. I have an upper right hyper that sometimes presents a double image. I turn or tilt to bring the images together. This is an automatic movement, almost subconsious The "staying tall" is also definitely beneficial as is focusing on a distant mountain range.
Which is your dominant eye? Has it switched with time?
Remember Nicklaus and that head position to keep his dominant left eye behind the ball? which is unusual for a right hander.
I keep lining up too far right myself. My shoulder angle is a little off from my feet I think. Lay that club across your arms and check your alignment of your shoulders and feet to one another in relation to the target. Always just slightly left of target (parallel left its sometimes referred to) should be the shoulder/feet line/aim point.

Which is your dominant eye? Has it switched with time?

Not really sure. I think it is the right eye, but I have had it since an early age. It does help to look at the back of the ball. I am not hanging back though. I get around okay, but just notice that my trail foot is not that vertical and looks a bit like some of the stack n tilt guys. If I use a bit of push off with the trail, it helps. It really doesn't seem to hurt anything, but I am sure it could be better. Thanks, you have given me a couple of things to watch for.

Not really sure. I think it is the right eye, ...
Hold an index finger up straight in front of you at arm's length. Pick something a distance away and line that finger up upon it. Alternately close one eye, then the other. The eye for which the finger does not move off-target is the dominant eye.

Of course.

Hold an index finger up straight in front of you at arm's length. Pick something a distance away and line that finger up upon it. Alternately close one eye, then the other. The eye for which the finger does not move off-target is the dominant eye.
Just tried that. Definitely LEFT eye big time. I focused on a row of light bulb globes above bathroom vanity. There are 5 bulbs, The right eye moves 4 1/2 globes!

Not really sure. I think it is the right eye, but I have had it since an early age. It does help to look at the back of the ball. I am not hanging back though. I get around okay, but just notice that my trail foot is not that vertical and looks a bit like some of the stack n tilt guys. If I use a bit of push off with the trail, it helps. It really doesn't seem to hurt anything, but I am sure it could be better. Thanks, you have given me a couple of things to watch for.
Oh yeah. Ya definitely push off with the back foot. Body weight all going forward just makes the back foot lift up at the end of it all. I'd say momentum going down the line is more important than what the trail foot "looks" like. That's probably just a physical limit like me? I have no idea what my trail foot looks like. Never thought about it. Never had to, really. I started before video and all that. Never really liked to see myself swing. It was never technically correct. Scores mattered.

My uncle almost went blind and had to take care of him during 4 eye surgeries. Had a lot of experience with eyesight there for a while. :cool:
Fortunately they all worked for him!

My uncle almost went blind and had to take care of him during 4 eye surgeries. Had a lot of experience with eyesight there for a while. :cool:
Fortunately they all worked for him!
Good for Uncle. I had caterack (sp) surgery and have both eyes implanted with plastic lenses. My myopia is not as prevalent but the "lazy eye" thing persists. Only problem with implants is fixed focus. I need readers up close, but vision is 20/15 distance.

Good for Uncle. I had caterack (sp) surgery and have both eyes implanted with plastic lenses. My myopia is not as prevalent but the "lazy eye" thing persists. Only problem with implants is fixed focus. I need readers up close, but vision is 20/15 distance.
Yeah, he had that in both eyes and one eye they did both retina and cornea work. He's about there with ya now on the correction.
My mom is blind as a bat from cataracts. Why she didn't do the surgery, I have no idea. :rolleyes:

Back