Weight shift causing inconsistencies

Andrew808

Reaction score
Handicap
I had a golf lesson last week and identified that part of my OTT issue was a lack of weight shift in my swing - my hips weren’t moving forward at all on the downswing, they were actually moving a couple inches back. I’m doing the weight transfer drills recommended by my instructor but yesterday at the golf range, I found that while I was getting 10-15 yards more distance on my irons, my consistency dropped from hitting it fairly solid 80-85% of the time to about 70%, I was chunking it 30 yards the rest of the time.

I imagine this is due to not keeping my head still while doing the weight transfer. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions on how to keep the head still while properly shifting weight?

(I didn’t take any video of my swing during this range session but can try to take one next time if it will help)

not sure one session feedback appropriate to analyze. Just stay at it...
I agree. Focus on one thing at a time.

Also, the head of every pro moves in their golf swings. It should not stay still. It just doesn't move all over the place either. I think most people that say "keep your head down" are assuming it will fix early extension problems many beginners have. But that advice typically doesn't work to correct any swing fault.

I had a golf lesson last week and identified that part of my OTT issue was a lack of weight shift in my swing - my hips weren’t moving forward at all on the downswing, they were actually moving a couple inches back. I’m doing the weight transfer drills recommended by my instructor but yesterday at the golf range, I found that while I was getting 10-15 yards more distance on my irons, my consistency dropped from hitting it fairly solid 80-85% of the time to about 70%, I was chunking it 30 yards the rest of the time.

I imagine this is due to not keeping my head still while doing the weight transfer. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions on how to keep the head still while properly shifting weight?

(I didn’t take any video of my swing during this range session but can try to take one next time if it will help)
Good info. For me, I cannot do the weight shift as it throws me off too much. Maybe similar to the way your consistency dropped. I don't really pay attention to it now, but for a while I was too focused on weight shift and it hurt my game. I have to be much more stationary and simply work hip rotation with swing. Hopefully it will work well for you and you will see the improvement you need.

To work on your balance, try swinging with your feet together (not full hard swings). Slow it down to get the feel of being in balance. If you don't stay balanced over the ball, you will fall over.

Revisit your lesson plan from the instructor. Stay with the plan. Lessons are never an immediate fix.

My guess is you are lowering your rear shoulder a little, which would put the low point of your swing in back of the ball. This regardless of your weight shift.

I'm thinking the shoulders (sternum) should follow the hips weight shift.

Last edited:
I find focusing on the torso rotating in a fixed place far more helpful than trying to keep my head still. So don’t keep your head still; keep your center of mass still... don’t let your rib cage slide around during the swing. They used to say you should feel like you’re rotating your torso inside a barrel. It helps me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find focusing on the torso rotating in a fixed place far more helpful than trying to keep my head still. So don’t keep your head still; keep your center of mass still... don’t let your rib cage slide around during the swing. They used to say you should feel like you’re rotating your torso inside a barrel. It helps me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that’s a really good “visual” - rotating the torso inside a barrell.

To work on your balance, try swinging with your feet together (not full hard swings). Slow it down to get the feel of being in balance. If you don't stay balanced over the ball, you will fall over.
Feet together drill or flamingo drill (rear foot just barely touching the ground, and in back of the front foot - starting with feet together & then drop rear foot back & up on toe ) will help with making good contact.

If you hold a club across the front of your shoulders and turn, you can focus on turning that club on a plane in the backswing and downswing. Might help rather than focus on "keeping head still".

Another good drill to do for making good contact is take a split grip (hands apart) and try to make hockey slap shot swings.

Good info. For me, I cannot do the weight shift as it throws me off too much. Maybe similar to the way your consistency dropped. I don't really pay attention to it now, but for a while I was too focused on weight shift and it hurt my game. I have to be much more stationary and simply work hip rotation with swing. Hopefully it will work well for you and you will see the improvement you need.
This sounds a lot like me. I didn't do a weight shift when I started taking golf more seriously because, well hell, I had enough problems in my swing and didn’t want to introduce another factor. I think I’d like to try to address it now though.

Thanks everyone for their suggestions, I’ll try out those drills mentioned. And I haven’t given up on my instructor or anything like that. I’m going to keep following his lesson plan, just thought I’d see what people here had to say...

This sounds a lot like me. I didn't do a weight shift when I started taking golf more seriously because, well hell, I had enough problems in my swing and didn’t want to introduce another factor. I think I’d like to try to address it now though.

Thanks everyone for their suggestions, I’ll try out those drills mentioned. And I haven’t given up on my instructor or anything like that. I’m going to keep following his lesson plan, just thought I’d see what people here had to say...

Andrew808 - did your instructor tell you what weight shift actually meant? It should really be called 'pressure shift' not 'weight shift' and its not necessarily about moving bodily mass from one foot to the other.

For example stand in balance on two feet and then just temporarily lift your left leg up (without moving your upper body). Before you topple over, you would have felt an increase in the pressure over your right leg (without having to move your centre of mass). That is a pressure shift to your right leg not a 'body mass movement pressure shift' because you can actually push into the ground even when your body mass is not directly over a particular leg.

Now stand on 2 feet in balance with your legs slightly flexed and try and push down (using your muscles only) with just your right leg. The pressure on the ground under your right foot increases more than under the left foot even though your COM remains virtually unchanged. Again , this is a 'pressure shift' not a 'body mass movement pressure shift'

Here are examples of 2 golfers who may have different 'pressure shifts as they approach impact .

Patrick Reed

As he approaches impact his left leg gets 'unweighted' and his heel swivels backwards away from the target as he follows through. Where do you suppose most of his 'pressure' is ? It's likely to be more on his right leg although I cannot be 100% certain

Bryson DeChambeau

Note that as he approaches impact , his left leg seems to get more pressure on his left heel while his forefoot spins counterclockwise. One could easily suspect that most of Brysons pressure is on his left heel because its relatively stable while his forefoot isn't .

Some theorists would call Patrick Reed a 'reverse foot' golfer because his 'pressure' is moving more from the left to right foot as he approaches impact.
Some theorists would call Bryson DeChambeau a 'front foot' golfer because his 'pressure shift' seems to be progressively increasing under his left foot as he approaches impact.

From a physics perspective , I think the whole concept of pressure and weight shift to teach a golf swing has limited usefulness because 'Pressure=Force/Area' . Therefore the area of contact between foot and ground complicates things to a great degree.

Just try and swing with as much freedom and fluidity through impact to a target without strain. It might not be biomechanically correct with regards what the pros do but who cares as long you swing without any impedance and stress.

My experience when making changes is it takes a bit of time. Usually worse before better. Stay the course and you will see the improvements.

Too much arms too soon.

A common plague.

Get your sequencing right.

It will take a year or so ... if you are chunking, the inconsistency can mean too steep but typically yanking arms or using arms too soon and not enough body (sequencing).

Last edited:
Nothing like a lesson to screw things up ;). Try swinging just with your left arm letting your weight shift giving you a "woosh" as the club speeds through impact zone. This is how I will warm up. After doing that many times let your right hand ride along (rather than take control) and hit some shots. Hope that helps

Here is a Shawn Clement video where he uses 'external focus' technique which automatically produces a 'pressure' shift specific to his own body.

Notice he never says 'move your weight or pressure ' to your left leg , or mentions which body parts need to be here or there. He just gets you thinking about a 'task' such as 'getting the ground' or imagining the arches of your feet as suction cups getting the ground. It's all 'external task orientated' (doing things outside your body) focus thinking which will enable your 'Central Nervous System' to automatically engage all the correct muscles in the correct sequence to efficiently perform the intended task.

Weight shift and head movement are two of my biggest problems. I have made them my swing thoughts pre swing to try and help.

Andrew808 - did your instructor tell you what weight shift actually meant? It should really be called 'pressure shift' not 'weight shift' and its not necessarily about moving bodily mass from one foot to the other.
To be fair, he never actually said “weight shift” until I mentioned it. He was more focused on orienting the path of the club in transition and downswing, and what my hips were doing, I loosely (and maybe mistakenly) translated that into weight shift. Thanks for the videos and explanations, I think I see what you (and others) mean now.

My last few range sessions have gone well, I’m getting more consistent and my distance has improved quite a bit. Am excited to take this to the course and see how it goes

I agree. Focus on one thing at a time.

Also, the head of every pro moves in their golf swings. It should not stay still. It just doesn't move all over the place either. I think most people that say "keep your head down" are assuming it will fix early extension problems many beginners have. But that advice typically doesn't work to correct any swing fault.
when i was told to keep my head down it was a justure to not stand up and stay in the same position thur the swing. head up body up he told me. dont know if that the correct practice but it worked for me

Back