Weird dog treats?

USAF Retired

Goat Cup-Team Tudor / MC-Team Hackers
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Do your dogs like anything unusual for treats?

My 100 pound golden retriever goes crazy for apples, bananas and the empty toilet paper cardboard rolls :LOL:

He's fit at 100 pounds as we don't give regular dog treats/snacks or table scraps

Arrow can't eat anything but his prescribed food and treats because he is prone to bladder stones, but before we knew this I let him eat some people food and he LOVED apples. I couldn't eat an apple without him being by my side, they were his favorite.

He takes after his mom (me) with his love of all fruits and veggies.

Ice Cubes !
No kidding, my 2 dogs go crazy for them, even more so than normal treats. They do like carrots and broccoli stems too (weird huh??)

My dogs when I was a kid loved ice cubes too. Would chase them all over the house, and were so excited when they could finally chomp on them.

Our setter had beef spread (marmite) on toast every day. She pestered for people food but did not steal.

Our black lab was a food thief with the constitution of an ox. His favourite food was chicken curry , and he loved chocolate ice cream and fruit pudding, both things which are supposed to be poisonous to dogs. The only thing he stole that upset his stomach was baked beans. He woke up the whole village that night.💩

My dog loves Iceberg lettuce. If he sees me start to make a salad he goes nuts until I give him some.

Ours love raw vegetables and fruit like carrots, potato, cabbage, broccoli, apples, bananas and watermelon. They also love ice cream.

Not really weird just maybe not typical. Lamb (sometimes pig) heart and lung, bison liver, and ~ 6” whole frozen sardines are our treat staples. I like single organ treats for dogs and they love the sardines! They also get a spoon of vanilla ice cream now and then. In gardening season Julie feeds the dogs all sorts of vegetables: baby carrots, etc.

I don't know if it's weird, but Rio loved homemade "frosty paws" - plain greek yogurt, honey, and peanut butter mixed together and frozen in small cups. They were his favorite. I'm forever thankful that I decided to give him one as a special treat the last night we had together before unexpectedly saying goodbye. He was so content :)

Our dog loves cheese - if you are in the kitchen and get the cheese out, before you know it, he is sat in the doorway watching you and waiting for some

I used to have to watch my dog like a hawk when he was near a garden, pulled up carrots to eat and would gorge himself on any cucumbers he could find.🐖🐕

I don’t think we’ve found anything ours won’t eat. Just about any fruit or vegetable, popcorn, eggs, ice cubes, yogurt, and the occasional baby rabbit swallowed whole (she had it before I could get to her)

My wife just got done sharing a banana with her

Forgot one. 20oz pop/water bottles. She goes nuts over them but all she does is naw on the cap until it comes off and then spits it out. Once that’s happened she’s done with it.

She’s got $100’s worth of toys that she ignores but will spend hours playing with the most random things. If we’d have only known before we spent all that $ 😕

Do socks count? I swear to god every time we miss a sock we find it in the yard while picking up after the dogs. Not a very safe thing for the dog to eat and luckily we havent had to go to er for it. Been very careful lately but our dogs will eat ANYTHING!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OMG this is so funny. Mine LOVE the TP rolls and if i take off a pair of no-see socks and drop them in the hamper, the big guy has his head in there and one is missing.
i generally find things either under the bed where Athena sequesters herself, or out back if the wife doesn't stop Karma before she flies out the doggie door.
From the Left Rufus, Karma and the queen....Athena. we have rescued them all from one shelter or another..

0CC7FE6C-2CA4-4B84-9851-69E5F17E665E.jpeg

Last edited:
Back