Weird tip - dealing with torn up hands

wadesworld

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
When I hit too many balls, I've been known to tear my hands to shreds with abrasions, blisters, calluses, splits, etc. You'd often see me putting 3 or 4 bandaids on to be able to get through a round or range session.

I talked to my dermatologist about it the splitting, particularly around the nail bed, and the solution (or at least to make it less likely) is to make sure you're doing plenty of moisturizing. Yeah, not the most manly, but it's the dry skin that cracks and splits.

As for the blisters, abrasions, calluses, and other general things you need to cover/pad, I happened across these:

Cushions

1710679111492.png

As you can see they're made for toes, but I found them perfect for fingers too. They stay on well, are snug but not too tight, provide excellent cushion and don't bother me in the least. Obviously if I have an open wound I put a band-aid on underneath, but one of the larger ones will fit on top perfectly. I know it's weird, but I thought I'd pass it along because it's something I've struggled with for a long time and these work really well. Using these pads is allowing the torn up fingers to start to heal.

Last edited:
Use O’keffes hand cream at night before bed and prob won’t have any problems with cracking skin. It just works not greesy and not smelly. In the trades I have to use it usually in winter.

If you are blistering the palms try not to kill the club with a grip of death. This is why the grips are tacky in a way.

When I hit too many balls, I've been known to tear my hands to shreds with abrasions, blisters, calluses, splits, etc. You'd often see me putting 3 or 4 bandaids on to be able to get through a round or range session.

I talked to my dermatologist about it the splitting, particularly around the nail bed, and the solution (or at least to make it less likely) is to make sure you're doing plenty of moisturizing. Yeah, not the most manly, but it's the dry skin that cracks and splits.

As for the blisters, abrasions, calluses, and other general things you need to cover/pad, I happened across these:

Cushions

View attachment 9249422

As you can see they're made for toes, but I found them perfect for fingers too. They stay on well, are snug but not too tight, provide excellent cushion and don't bother me in the least. Obviously if I have an open wound I put a band-aid on underneath, but one of the larger ones will fit on top perfectly. I know it's weird, but I thought I'd pass it long because it's something I've struggled with for a long time and these work really well.
That’s a great share, for people who get blisters and such.

Use O’keffes hand cream at night before bed and prob won’t have any problems with cracking skin. It just works not greesy and not smelly. In the trades I have to use it usually in winter.

If you are blistering the palms try not to kill the club with a grip of death. This is why the grips are tacky in a way.
O’Keefes is good stuff… if not, try Bag Balm (originally developed for cows udders) from your local Tractor Supply or Agway. It works great too. A couple of old dairy farmers told me about it many years ago and I always have a tin of it around the house now.

Last edited:
I’m hoping my second part of the comment was not off base. I only get blisters when I’m over gripping which is where they came from.

O’Keefes is good stuff… if not, try Bag Balm (originally developed for cows udders) from your local Tractor Supply or Agway. It works great too. A couple of old dairy farmers told me about it many years ago and I always have a tin of it around the house now.
My Mom once encountered a guy where she was working that had little drops of blood oozing from the backs of his hands! She noticed and he asked her if she had any idea of what to do. She told him to get some Bag Balm and a pair of white cotton gloves. Slather the balm on heavily at bedtime and put the gloves on. Cured his hands in 3 days.

I know about the fingers splitting, especially during the winter and had heard about moisturizing. I make sure I moisturize every finger and nail (it's helps with nails splitting too) every morning now and my fingers are getting a lot better.

Back