Well, its gone...

Minarets

Reaction score
Handicap
My game. This happens every year when I am absolutely playing my best. The last 3 years, right when I think I have figured things out, my game doesn't just go south, it leaves altogether.

I normally shoot in the 81-85 range. I have only broken 80 once, but have hit 80 7 times and too many 81s to count. I shot a 83 and an 81 last week and when I went to the range Monday and got a large bucket of balls, I may have hit 7 in the air. Every shot was a hard push/shank to the right and they all went 100 yards whether it was a 4i, 7i or PW. I was ready to not only break clubs, but throw them at someone. (Good thing I was solo on the range). I tried changing everything and that probably wasn't a good idea. Went out Tues and same thing on the range. Played this morning and was 1 over thru 5 and realized I hadn't even hit any irons but my wedges. All driver hybrid wedge or driver wedge so I played the rest of the round with only irons and shot a 52.

The worst feeling was I knew what this was. Its happened the previous 2 years like clockwork. Just when I am as consistent as ever, this just pops in my game. I have yet to decide if this is completely mental or some bad habit that has creeped in to my swing. Both times previously I just stopped golf altogether for 2 weeks and than viola, it was like nothing ever happened.

I guess I can do that. Shut it down for 2 weeks? But eh, I hate not swinging a club for 2 weeks. I go mad with no golf.

Anyone ever go through something like this?

This is exactly why I don't go to the range when it's golf season and I am playing well. I just don't see the point. If I do practice, it's short game only. What sucks is that the next time you tee it up all you'll think about was that turd range session and not the awesome scores you've been shooting.

Everyone's game comes and goes, some just get hit harder than others. Take a week or so off from swinging, just do a lot of practicing on putting to keep your feel sharp. When you go back out, go to the range with a clear mind knowing things are fresh again. You'll be alright man!

When I start hitting the crap shots on the range, I completely stop what I am doing, take out my 8iron, and try to it it about 50 yards. I take a 1/3 swing, and really just try to hit the 50 yard marker. From there, I go to the 75 yard marker, then the 100 yard marker, and keep working my way to full shots. It usually helps, but hitting bad shots sucks pretty bad, bad shot after bad shot leads to frustration, best thing to do is reboot and just refresh yourself.

I feel your pain man. If we were at the range at the same time we'd sacrifice some clubs to the golfing gods who are so upset with us. I'd start with the stupid driver first. Snap that sucker right over my knee and then throw the two pieces at someone. Haha I'm fighting through this same thing now for a while. Just has the whole swing fall apart and I have my theories on it but it's personal.

This happens to me on occasion, and usually I'll take a week to 10 days off. Just helps my body relax and rejuvenate and not focus on golf for a few days. When I come back I'm usually much better.

My game. This happens every year when I am absolutely playing my best. The last 3 years, right when I think I have figured things out, my game doesn't just go south, it leaves altogether.

I normally shoot in the 81-85 range. I have only broken 80 once, but have hit 80 7 times and too many 81s to count. I shot a 83 and an 81 last week and when I went to the range Monday and got a large bucket of balls, I may have hit 7 in the air. Every shot was a hard push/shank to the right and they all went 100 yards whether it was a 4i, 7i or PW. I was ready to not only break clubs, but throw them at someone. (Good thing I was solo on the range). I tried changing everything and that probably wasn't a good idea. Went out Tues and same thing on the range. Played this morning and was 1 over thru 5 and realized I hadn't even hit any irons but my wedges. All driver hybrid wedge or driver wedge so I played the rest of the round with only irons and shot a 52.

The worst feeling was I knew what this was. Its happened the previous 2 years like clockwork. Just when I am as consistent as ever, this just pops in my game. I have yet to decide if this is completely mental or some bad habit that has creeped in to my swing. Both times previously I just stopped golf altogether for 2 weeks and than viola, it was like nothing ever happened.

I guess I can do that. Shut it down for 2 weeks? But eh, I hate not swinging a club for 2 weeks. I go mad with no golf.

Anyone ever go through something like this?

this used to happen to me a lot in the past best thing i ever did when this happened was take 2 weeks off and go back to the range after wards and started working on my pre season golf routine ( what i do every year getting back into shape for the season) and just get back to the basics it helped me a few times in the past. guess its worth a try if you can stay away for that long. that was always the hardest part for me.

Yes, I know that feeling quite well. Sorry to hear it, man.

Happens to me all the time. Granted I'm a high handicapper any ways.

when it happens i take a but off, couple of days, then when i go back i really just focus on the basics. I try and get out by myself with no one on the course. The Serenity of being out on a golf course just taking your time no rush, i think that fixes it for me. Gets me back in the right mind set. I mean I'm competitive but for me golf is an escape, and when i start trying to make it more then that it goes to heck.

Sorry to hear it man, but all bad things happen in 3's, lol. On a bright note, my first thought reading this, "Well, its gone...", was John Bobbit. Things could go worst.

Glad to see I'm not alone, but its no less frustrating. I just hate not do anything golf for that extended amount of time.

I am headed to Pinehurst Aug 6 and Orange Beach, FL the end of this month. I hate to not be playing at least decent golf. Here is to hoping.

Just happened to me yesterday. After playing some of my best golf in recent years - scores of 90, 91, 93, and 90 recently - I went out yesterday and shot 104. And, it was uglier than the score would indicate!

Got to the course an hour before tee time and went to the range. [edit: It was a grass range, but it was that loose grass that is completely unlike a fairway] I started warming up like a regular range session, hitting pitches of 25 to 75 yards. By the time I was finished, I think I had shanked the ball six, maybe eight times. I then took that horrid play out onto the course. Started with a triple. Then made a shaky par and followed that up with a 10 on a medium difficulty par 5, losing a couple balls deep into the woods.

I did it all but completely whiff (and came damn close to do just that on the aforementioned quintuple bogey).

Last edited:
I had ALWAYS struggled hitting my irons at the range, and irons are always the most dependable part of my game. What I found was that it wasn't me, it was just that I couldn't hit the ball off the mats. I'm a digger, and hitting with the mats has never yielded good results. Now if I want to go to the range (which is a very rare occurrence) I take an extra 15 minute drive and go to the one where you can hit off the ground.

Happens to me all the time. Granted I'm a high handicapper any ways.

when it happens i take a but off, couple of days, then when i go back i really just focus on the basics. I try and get out by myself with no one on the course. The Serenity of being out on a golf course just taking your time no rush, i think that fixes it for me. Gets me back in the right mind set. I mean I'm competitive but for me golf is an escape, and when i start trying to make it more then that it goes to heck.

I have been struggling way too long lately. I think it runs in cycles even for the big boys. Look at Phil Mickleson right now who has not broken par in 7 rounds. Yea I feel like kicking my own arse or as you say take your butt off many times lately :deadhorse:

Sorry to hear it man, but all bad things happen in 3's, lol. On a bright note, my first thought reading this, "Well, its gone...", was John Bobbit. Things could go worst.

Yea due much better to take ya butt off huh?

Glad to see I'm not alone, but its no less frustrating. I just hate not do anything golf for that extended amount of time.

I am headed to Pinehurst Aug 6 and Orange Beach, FL the end of this month. I hate to not be playing at least decent golf. Here is to hoping.

It's so frustrating to have an outing at a nice golf course and feel like you ruined your day by playing shatty. You want to be excited and enjoy it however if truth be known, you are frustrated as hell. Folks say just relax and enjoyed the day which is good advice but it's kind of hard to enjoy something (golf), when you are hacking it all over the planet. Good luck buddy and like some have said, maybe taking some time off ,will clear the demons out of your swing. Take a mind dump and start out fresh. I need to do the same thing but it's hard for us addicts :act-up:

Add me to the list of those who's it's happened before, usually in the middle of the season too. Knock on wood, but it hasn't yet happened this year. Last season I was on a hot stretch where I shot a few rounds in the high 70's in a row and feeling good about my game and out of no where I went out for a round and shot 58 on the FRONT nine. I couldn't hit a single shot and had no idea why. I walked off the course and didn't touch my clubs for a week and after that it was back to normal. Sometimes your brain just needs a break.

This happens dude.
I've slipped into this funk at the range and have to step back and go to the short Irons to get back in a rhythm.
Ease back into it and I'm sure you'll find your way to your game.

It happens, you just need a slump buster. For me, that's just not even thinking about golf for a few days and coming back with a fresh perspective.

If you just have to hit something, then go out and hit something you hit well to get some mental confidence back. I always like dropping some balls on the putting green and hearing the ball hit the bottom of the cup. It's empowering when you get that sound.

Don't get frustrated, it will come back :D

It happens, you just need a slump buster. For me, that's just not even thinking about golf for a few days and coming back with a fresh perspective.

If you just have to hit something, then go out and hit something you hit well to get some mental confidence back. I always like dropping some balls on the putting green and hearing the ball hit the bottom of the cup. It's empowering when you get that sound.

Don't get frustrated, it will come back :D

ALL of this. This is me to a T as well.

ITS BACK!

This is exactly why I don't go to the range when it's golf season and I am playing well. I just don't see the point. If I do practice, it's short game only. What sucks is that the next time you tee it up all you'll think about was that turd range session and not the awesome scores you've been shooting.

THIS!!!! I only go to the range and hit full swing shots if I am struggling with something and need to work on it....if not it's short game work and that's it....last thing I want to do when I step onto the first tee box is be remembering the 3 drivers I duck hooked on the range the other day.

This happens to me as well.. Except it happens multiple times per round..

Good shot - I got this..

Next shot --!@#$!@)($*&

Repeat

Glad to hear its back. Harvey Penick used to say you don't loose your swing overnight. You don't forget where your mouth is when you are trying to eat. We are humans we try to make everything complicated!

Back