Western Canada/NW USA Get Together

9-Iron Man

Exciting Times
Reaction score
Handicap
High
With it being July already, we are nearing the half way point of the season in the more northern climates. So it seems to me we should all get together for a round or two before the snow starts flying! I'm thinking a more central location such as Kelowna BC is a good place to start sometime in late August or September. Nothing set in stone just yet.

If you are interested, make a post in this thread here or send me a PM. Hopefully we can work something out!

EDIT: Looks like we'll be looking at late September, or early October. Course still TBD. If anyone is interested, just hop on a leave a reply.

EDIT PART 2: As we begin to look at courses I've got a few questions for everyone:

What is the price range that works for everybody?
How many rounds would everyone be interested in?
Would you like to pack everything into one day or spread it over a weekend (Saturday/Sunday)?

Last edited:
Assuming the dates work out, it sounds good to me!

depending on dates and costs I would be interested.

Depending on the dates I would of course be in. Some of us can golf year round hey Tuna? hehe

Depending on the dates I would of course be in. Some of us can golf year round hey Tuna? hehe

11 months out of 12 is what I tell people. 8 if you're scared of the rain (in which case you shouldn't live in BC heh).

Lots of nice courses is Ktown, the downside is the hotel cost and generally needing to book signifigantly ahead of time espcially in June/July/August

11 months out of 12 is what I tell people. 8 if you're scared of the rain (in which case you shouldn't live in BC heh).

Lots of nice courses is Ktown, the downside is the hotel cost and generally needing to book signifigantly ahead of time espcially in June/July/August

Very true. I said Kelowna mainly as it is more or less half way between Calgary and Vancouver. It would be a bit farther for AG and I in Edmonton, but there's really no half way point in between us. Kelowna seemed like the logical place to start at least. I'm more than open to suggestions.

I lived in Kelowna for a bit and late September can be still very nice and it might cut costs and availability.

There is a possibility I can make it to Kelowna.

Thanks to everyone for the interest so far. Bumping the up for the early weekend crowd. Leave a post if you're interested.

I'm planning on heading out to Victoria the last 2 weeks of August to visit my sister so depending on the date of this get together a stop in Kelowna would be fairly easy for me on the way back.

I'm planning on heading out to Victoria the last 2 weeks of August to visit my sister so depending on the date of this get together a stop in Kelowna would be fairly easy for me on the way back.

Either way if you're in Vic send me a PM and we can get out and play!

Either way if you're in Vic send me a PM and we can get out and play!

Sounds good. Once I narrow down when I'm heading out that way I will let you know.

No go for me I'm afraid, I have to re-allocate my funds to a few other things (like a really bad ass winter jacket).

Good to hear. Keep us updated with your availability.

No go for me I'm afraid, I have to re-allocate my funds to a few other things (like a really bad ass winter jacket).

What's more important, staying warm this winter or enjoying the summer golfing? :D That's too bad RF.

Let's maybe start thinking of some possible dates. Coolbeeze I know will be at MC on the 19-21 so that weekend is out, so how about everyone post a preferred weekend in late August and September that best works for them. If anyone has a suggestion for a location other than Kelowna, please feel free to post it as well. Thanks!

Bumpity Bump

Anybody else interested?

I suppose any weekend in late september or early October would work for me. I'd have to run all this past the boss first anyway.

I suppose any weekend in late september or early October would work for me. I'd have to run all this past the boss first anyway.

Thanks for the feedback CB! I'm thinking that would be my preferred time as well. Early October is about the latest we can golf up here before the temps really start to dip. It would be good to get one last great weekend of golf in before that happens.

Any other thoughts?

Late Sept/early Oct sounds good to me too. After that and we're starting to talk about nasty driving both for you 9iron through the mountains and for CB and I up the Koke.

Late Sept/early Oct sounds good to me too. After that and we're starting to talk about nasty driving both for you 9iron through the mountains and for CB and I up the Koke.

Thanks ST!

I'd like some other opinions please, so if anyone else is interested, please let us know!

Late Sept / Early Oct works better for me also.

PM sent, I would be a 'possible'. Going to depend on cash flow more than anything else. Have a few things to get done $$ wise between now and then, and am possibly moving (locally) in the interim also.

Bump....

Any other takers? First post updated with a possible timeframe. I'll be starting to look at courses soon. Anyone have any course suggestions for that area?

That depends. How hard of a course would we want / how pricey? Lots of places in Ktown are going to be higher then elsewhere due to all the vacationers they get. It's pretty ease to spend $100 a round per person before a cart/ $40 a round for a cart is pretty standard too

Some of the best in/around Kelowna would be
Gallaghers Canyon (http://www.golfbc.com/courses/gallaghers_canyon) - Gorgeous views of the surrounding countryside. Tricky fairways and well protected greens mean it's a hard course to score on but bogey golf even for higher handicappers is possible.

Predator Ridge (http://www.predatorridge.com/play/vernon-golf.php) - Two courses, one much more challanging then the other. One of the best places for golf in Canada though and has hosted quite a number of largeish events.

The Harvest Golf Club (http://harvestgolf.com/golf/the-course/) - Good solid course with fantastic scenary. In October I imagine all the fruit trees around it would look pretty cool. Don't eff about with choose what tees to play with here. It's really set up differently for the different tee lengths

Honourable Mentions
Kelowna Springs (http://www.kelownasprings.com/) - Semi Private, lots of water hazard. Loose concentration and go through a dozen balls easy
The Quail (http://www.golfbc.com/courses/thequail/) - Tricky course, requires good concentration to score. It's ease to put up big numbers here
Mission Creek (http://missioncreekgolfclub.com/) - Super lush fairways and fairly flat so it's ease to walk. In terms of a nice course that people can have a chat or laugh on, this is really quite good.

My sincerest apologies, work has been keeping me quite busy lately so I haven't had lots of time to keep up with my THPing.

As we begin to look at courses I've got a few questions for everyone:

What is the price range that works for everybody?
How many rounds would everyone be interested in?
Would you like to pack everything into one day or spread it over a weekend (Saturday/Sunday)?

I was talking to my boss earlier and he suggested a course to me that he really liked, Black Mountain. It's a Par 71 course featuring an island green on #5. Could be worth looking in to.

A little bump for the afternoon crowd. Questions from my last post have been added to the OP.

Back