Western New York, Albany, Syracuse, Northwest Pennsylvania & surrounding areas

Fairways of Halfmoon in Mechanicville, north of Albany, is opening Friday, March 26

Fairways of Halfmoon in Mechanicville, north of Albany, is opening Friday, March 26 Thursday, March 25.

Airway Meadows has moved its opening from Saturday, March 27 to Wed, March 24.

Airway Meadows has moved its opening from Saturday, March 27 to Wed, March 24.

Nice to see March openings in this area. Considering that we were playing in comfortable weather into November, that's one of the shortest off seasons I can remember.

We've got about half of the public courses open for this week around here.

We've got about half of the public courses open for this week around here.
It's changed overnight here. Van Patten now open. Eagle Crest opening Thursday, 3/25.

Got to The Links at Ivy Ridge for first time in forever last Monday. Little wet in spots but good shape overall.

Wind on a links course and my game don’t always go together, but it was fun to be out again. Trying to remember the good shots, not the bad.

Got to The Links at Ivy Ridge for first time in forever last Monday. Little wet in spots but good shape overall.

Wind on a links course and my game don’t always go together, but it was fun to be out again. Trying to remember the good shots, not the bad.
That's a nice course and some of the nicest people working there too.
Does get a little wet though.
The course usually eats me up. Don't think I've ever scored well there.
I think DJ has the course record.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

People were great there, feels like a top notch facility from top to bottom.

I struggled mightily all day, but got a little better on back 9. Nice change of pace from say Glen Oak, Rothlands, or Buffalo Tournament Club.

For you WNY folks: Is Fox Valley semi-private/public ?

Fox is now public. Tough track.Target golf

Ivy Ridge is one of my favorites. Nice layout, great condition and the staff is welcoming. I live in Lockport but also am in Caledonia during the week for work. I just joined Caledonia Country Club. I forgot the quality of courses in the Rochester area as I haven't lived there in about fifteen years.

Ivy Ridge is one of my favorites. Nice layout, great condition and the staff is welcoming. I live in Lockport but also am in Caledonia during the week for work. I just joined Caledonia Country Club. I forgot the quality of courses in the Rochester area as I haven't lived there in about fifteen years.
I played Mill Creek for the first time last year and I love it. My friends said it was their least favorite between there, grey stone, and ravenwood. Looking forward to visiting the others!

I've never played Ravenwood and would love to. Greystone is excellent and I thought Mill Creek was fun but it's been about 5 years or so. I think Mill Creek has changes the layout a bit since I've played it. So many excellent layouts in the area.

This thread has been crickets for a while but I hope we can have some more interaction and group golf. I think I've really only player with Moosejaa on this thread. BTW miss you Moose and hope to play again soon!

What courses do you want to know about in Rochester? Greystone is one if my favorites. Play there at least 4 or 5 times a year. Ravenwood is a really nice layout but they have gotten pricey. Mill creek used to be much better. Struggles over last 2 years to keep it in shape.

Webster east is another fun but technical course with some punishing par 4s mixed with some almost driveable ones. Farview in Avon is another favorite public course with some fun challenging holes.

Farview is really close to me but again, I'm renewed to the are haven't played it in years. Victor Hills, Eagle Vale, Center Pointe, Old Hickory, Livingston...it's endless. Again it's been years so conditions change but so many to try. Those are just some in the southern area.

Lots of courses for a WNY get together!!!

Farview is really close to me but again, I'm renewed to the are haven't played it in years. Victor Hills, Eagle Vale, Center Pointe, Old Hickory, Livingston...it's endless. Again it's been years so conditions change but so many to try. Those are just some in the southern area.

I was at Stafford CC last week. Not near you, but closer. :)

I was at Stafford CC last week. Not near you, but closer. :)
I drive past it often. I've played it several times with a friend (member). Nice older style course and really indicative of the period...love it!

I drive past it often. I've played it several times with a friend (member). Nice older style course and really indicative of the period...love it!

Has one of the most devious greens around on #11. :)

Has one of the most devious greens around on #11. :)
Is that the short par three with the deep bunkers guarding the front? I don't remember the holes too well.

Is that the short par three with the deep bunkers guarding the front? I don't remember the holes too well.

Longish length Par 4 with a creek that wraps around the green and splits the fairway. Its the one by the parking lot. The green is 3 tiered with the lowest in the middle. About 14-18" elevation change between the sections and it ain't gradual. Right before the uphill 160 yardish par 3.

1619488636244.png

I don't really remember this hole but it looks devilish.

The new owner of Robert Van Patten Golf Course in the Albany suburb of Clifton Park has big plans:
  • bringing in Rees Jones to lead a complete redesign of the 27 hole layout into an 18 holes course of 7,200 yards from the back tees and an 18 hole par 3 executive course including replicas of famous par 3s
  • New turf and drainage
Article here:

It’ll be interesting to see the end result.

The new owner of Robert Van Patten Golf Course in the Albany suburb of Clifton Park has big plans:
  • bringing in Rees Jones to lead a complete redesign of the 27 hole layout into an 18 holes course of 7,200 yards from the back tees and an 18 hole par 3 executive course including replicas of famous par 3s
  • New turf and drainage
Article here:

It’ll be interesting to see the end result.

It will definitely be interesting. That seems to be a very ambitious, potentially expensive project.

Back