Westerwood Hotel & Golf Resort - Nr Glasgow, UK, Scotland

Br1an_g

Reaction score
Handicap
CONGU 11.7
http://www.qhotels.co.uk/hotels/the-westerwood-near-glasgow/golf.aspx

my friends and I visited the SCottish golf show earlier in the year and received 2 free golf vouchers, one of which was for the westerwood hotel and golf resort just outside glasgow. so before the end of the season we thought we would take a wee trip and see what it was all about.

we picked a great day for it, sun was shining, not too cold, and only a gentle breeze as we walked to the first tee. (gentle for scotland...)

first hole is a 486 yard par 5, dogleg left. heres my playing partner Stuart on the tee:
1First_Tee.jpg

an interesting bunker on the way to our balls, set the scene for the rest of the course
2Bunker_or_water_hazard.jpg

and the results of our 3 drives..yes thats me in the middle of the fairway :D
3fairway_hit.jpg

4good_position.jpg

results after first hole, Brian with a nice birdie 4, stuart a par 5, and gavin an 8!! i should have went home at this point but continued and i wont be mentioning scores for the rest of this review ;)

next hole a 200 yard par 3
52nd_hole.jpg

3rd hole was a 270 yard par 4, but was a 90 degree dog leg that you could cut relatively easilly:
gav on the tee:
6Third_Tee.jpg

he cut the corner, i came up short in OB territory, but managed a par with my 2nd ball and took double..

weather picking up but so was the wind:
IMAG0688.jpg

theres a small landing strip just past the course so light aircraft were frequent
IMAG0689.jpg

IMAG0690.jpg

a great risk reward hole here, the lateral water hazard was about 250 from the tee..so of course we all went for it..
IMAG0691.jpg

this hole was relaly interesting, another 90 degree dog leg, but was only 295 yards, you had to take a 7 iron or 6 iron to the fairway, then a 9 iron to the green. this is after our tee shots, i took 6 iron, left PW to green which i hit front edge.
IMAG0692.jpg

par 3 15th hole was my favourite, looks like the green slopes towards you, but was relatively flat when you got up there. lateral water hazard at front. really pretty hole.
IMAG0693.jpg

think this is the 16th or 17th, lost track of my pics now..
IMAG0694.jpg

overall the course was very very wet throughout and this ruoned the xperience a bit for me. we played preferred lies after the first fariway and thankfully we did as some of the fairways were soaked.
also had a 4 ball in buggies about 5 groups in front who held everyone up. was just over a 5 hour round with 3 groups in front of us being 2 balls i thought this pretty ridiculous. no marshalls to speed up play over here..
the greens did make up for the wet conditions a bit as they were all great condition and very true, but getting to them was a bit of a slog.
if i had paid, i perhaps would have complained, but as it was, we wont be going back so didnt see the point. it was free after all.

plenty of better courses in and around glasgow so its not on my recommended list.

hope you enjoyed the pics, and the quality is ok.

Great pics Brian, cheers!

Looks like it hasn't actually changed much from before the 'refurbishment', when it was difficult to stop your ball plugging no matter the weather! Don't think I'll be making special plans to play the free round I have there. Would rather play Balmore on a decent day. Shame about that.

Nice pictures Brian! Looks like a fun course.

Great pics Brian, cheers!

Looks like it hasn't actually changed much from before the 'refurbishment', when it was difficult to stop your ball plugging no matter the weather! Don't think I'll be making special plans to play the free round I have there. Would rather play Balmore on a decent day. Shame about that.

yeh mate, i wouldnt rush over, free round or not. there are some nicely designed holes, but thats about it.

get you up to windyhill if you fancy a trip :)

yeh mate, i wouldnt rush over, free round or not. there are some nicely designed holes, but thats about it.

get you up to windyhill if you fancy a trip :)

I'll be there. As soon as it stops raining. See you in March! :wink:

Back