Reaction score
Handicap
I could care less about shaving. I just whipped through the time-wasting process with a little Schick disposable and Edge gel. Until...

...a friend told me about wet shaving. Why didn't I try it? Okay, I figured I could maybe save a few bucks, so I gave it a shot.

Little did I know it would lead to a devastating addiction: taking way longer, buying razors (RAD: razor acquisition disorder), brushes, watching shaving Youtube videos, and haunting shaving forums like a dope fiend!

But it's fun.

I’ve been using a safety razor for a few years and like you, I quickly accumulated a bunch of shaving gear.
1A015C23-0D3A-42E8-A3CA-C2F96025F9FF.jpeg

I have nowhere near that collection, and since Covid hit I shave only when I look in the mirror and feel like I have to.

That said I can appreciate getting a straight razor into play.
(No intention of weird font).

Also a big fan of the safety razor. Used one to start my shaving career…. switched over to disposables for a brief stint and then went back to the safety razor. Decent blades are very important as is the shaving cream. I’ve been using Pacific Shaving Co. natural shave cream or Gillette Pure shave cream. Both come in a squeeze tube. Either one makes for a great shave and a little goes a long way.…. As in a tube lasts nearly a year…

I used a safety razor as well when I shaved.. but then I gave up shaving and keep a beard and I clean up my neck with the bare buzzer. Maybecfir a formal event I'll take out the razor but I haven't in a couple years.

I did use it to shave my head one time and that felt great, but I was too lazy to maintain it every few days lol

I wet shave starting with a Braun S9 (wet-dry) and then end with a safety razor.

My skin tends to be sensitive and the safety razor tears me up around the mouth and neck.

I also found it best for me to shave daily if I go safety razor. During Covid, I'd go 4-5 days without shaving and it did not go well. Now, I shave at least every other day.

I wet shave starting with a Braun S9 (wet-dry) and then end with a safety razor.

My skin tends to be sensitive and the safety razor tears me up around the mouth and neck.

I also found it best for me to shave daily if I go safety razor. During Covid, I'd go 4-5 days without shaving and it did not go well. Now, I shave at least every other day.

There's no way I can shave with a safety razor with more than 2 days of stubble. Tears me up!

I had to look up what "Wet Shaving" is. I've never used anything else. My dad gave me a Gillette double edge safety razor when I was old enough to shave and I've carried it everywhere. I did some research on it one day; it's a 1954 Gillette "Fat Boy". Several years ago, I decided to try a straight razor and after a small "learning curve", my straight razor is my "go to" now. I was on a retreat a couple of years ago, using a common shower/bathroom, and started shaving, I had an audience as most of the guys had never seen anyone shave with a straight (no nicks!). In the spirit of trying to stay "current", I use a Duvo Straight Razor that allows you to replace the blade rather than use a razor strop as sharpening isn't my best skill.

I got into it and tried it a few times and it does feel better on the face. I never shave any longer and have some stuff just sitting here haha. Even a single blade cartridge doesn't tear up my face like a multiblade. I have a bunch of Bic metal single blades, Gillette Superspeed 1948, and an Edwin Jagger DE89L.

I've torn up my face too, but the soap and the razor make a big difference. For new razors Feather Popular is very mild. For vintage razors Schick Krona is maybe even a little milder. Cella Organic Aloe Vera shaving soap is great (you'll need a brush though). The tub is better than the tube.

There's no way I can shave with a safety razor with more than 2 days of stubble. Tears me up!
Pardon the copying and pasting.

I've torn up my face too, but the soap and the razor make a big difference. For new razors Feather Popular is very mild. For vintage razors Schick Krona is maybe even a little milder. Cella Organic Aloe Vera shaving soap is great (you'll need a brush though). The tub is better than the tube.

I could care less about shaving. I just whipped through the time-wasting process with a little Schick disposable and Edge gel. Until...

...a friend told me about wet shaving. Why didn't I try it? Okay, I figured I could maybe save a few bucks, so I gave it a shot.

Little did I know it would lead to a devastating addiction: taking way longer, buying razors (RAD: razor acquisition disorder), brushes, watching shaving Youtube videos, and haunting shaving forums like a dope fiend!

But it's fun.
Wet shaving is a whole different animal from dry shaving or wet shaving with modern gear.
Ive been wet shaving for about 4 years now and I enjoy it. The shave itself is better, it can be cheaper if you dont go crazy buying gear and theres so many great soaps/creams/aftershaves that are is so many different amazing scents.

I had to look up what "Wet Shaving" is. I've never used anything else. My dad gave me a Gillette double edge safety razor when I was old enough to shave and I've carried it everywhere. I did some research on it one day; it's a 1954 Gillette "Fat Boy". Several years ago, I decided to try a straight razor and after a small "learning curve", my straight razor is my "go to" now. I was on a retreat a couple of years ago, using a common shower/bathroom, and started shaving, I had an audience as most of the guys had never seen anyone shave with a straight (no nicks!). In the spirit of trying to stay "current", I use a Duvo Straight Razor that allows you to replace the blade rather than use a razor strop as sharpening isn't my best skill.
You da man! (I'll never use a straight razor.) How did you like the Fat Boy? They're in big demand these days.

Wet shaving is a whole different animal from dry shaving or wet shaving with modern gear.
Ive been wet shaving for about 4 years now and I enjoy it. The shave itself is better, it can be cheaper if you dont go crazy buying gear and theres so many great soaps/creams/aftershaves that are is so many different amazing scents.
Yep. Agree. And like someone said, 'We used to spend a lot of money on cartridges. Now we spend it on razors, soaps and shaving gear.' But hey, it can be kept in line, and when you do, it is 1000 times cheaper and much more pleasurable.

Yep. Agree. And like someone said, 'We used to spend a lot of money on cartridges. Now we spend it on razors, soaps and shaving gear.' But hey, it can be kept in line, and when you do, it is 1000 times cheaper and much more pleasurable.
Yeah, the problem comes in when you have enough razors and brushes for every day of the week and a 10 year supply of soap. I was like that when I first started out but now Ive trimmed the collection down to a few razors (basically duplicates of my birth year razor), a couple brushes and a couple tubs of soap.

I’m a traditional wet shaver. I have 5 DE razors, 2 SE razors, 1 shavette, and 1 straight razor (that hasn’t been used in years). I have really sensitive skin and traditional wet shaving is the only way I can prevent razor burn, ingrown hairs, and the itches on my face. The combination of razor, razor blade, brush, soap/cream, aftershave is honestly a highlight of my nightly routine. Screw that multi blade concoction and gel goo, and go retro.

When I shave I use a safety razor as well. I keep a beard for the most part but probably once a year I need to clean shave for a week or two just to clean my skin up. I get really bad ingrown hairs so it is a must periodically and a safety razor is the best way to achieve that. I also go get a real shave most of the time at the barber when I do it.

Wet shaver here too. My usual is a Merkur DE, but I will still pull out my Thiers Issard straight razor from time-to-time.

I’m a traditional wet shaver. I have 5 DE razors, 2 SE razors, 1 shavette, and 1 straight razor (that hasn’t been used in years). I have really sensitive skin and traditional wet shaving is the only way I can prevent razor burn, ingrown hairs, and the itches on my face. The combination of razor, razor blade, brush, soap/cream, aftershave is honestly a highlight of my nightly routine. Screw that multi blade concoction and gel goo, and go retro.

Since C19 I went from a daily shaver to an “ehh, whenever I feel like it” type of guy. Usually about once every 10 days or so I hack it down with a trimmer.

I haven’t put blade on face in a while but I agree, at least I think? I enjoy the challenge of a straight razor. From keeping it sharp to not cutting your neck up, it’s a challenge.

That said, I’ll trim my stuff now when I feel it proper. I’m due in the morning. We’ll see as there is no set date on it. I’ll see more than I want to some morning and it goes down to stubble, 😂

I also use a wood
Smoker and generally keep life as challenging as possible so I always enjoy a challenge. I’ve met this one already. But for a guy, there isn’t much better joy than being able to maintain a blade you can shave with. As an ol’ country boy I keep all knives in that condition.

You da man! (I'll never use a straight razor.) How did you like the Fat Boy? They're in big demand these days.
Love it! I don’t use it a lot anymore because of my straight razor, but it’s nice every so often. Good weight (very heavy) and i make sure that I keep a good supply of double edge blades available as they were a bit scarce awhile back.

Yeah, the problem comes in when you have enough razors and brushes for every day of the week and a 10 year supply of soap. I was like that when I first started out but now Ive trimmed the collection down to a few razors (basically duplicates of my birth year razor), a couple brushes and a couple tubs of soap.
Yeah, the problem comes in when you have enough razors and brushes for every day of the week and a 10 year supply of soap.
^ ROFL Yeah, I guess I'm still caught up in that crazy buying spree. (I'll try to learn from your experience.)

Nah..... give me a disposable razor and the bar of soap in the shower and I'm good to go.

As long as it's not a "toxic masculinity" gilette... I gave up on them when they came out with that marketing campaign. "Shave off your toxic masculinity". Bah.(n) Way to offend your customer base gilette...:rolleyes:

I went to Harry's disposables now with Nivea shave gel.

Back