WGC - Bridgestone Invitational [spoilers]

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I wanted to put this one up since we have a correspondent up there. Our very own Osahar is attending the event since winning a contest we had on our site for a VIP PGA Tour Package, Hotel Accomodations, and travel money. Out of almost 3000 entries, Osahar's was chosen.

We look forward to his reports each day from the event and the Bridgestone Tour VIP Tent.

• Admin
This was waiting for our friend Osahar and he sent over a picture to us. A small little prize pack courtesy of Bridgestone.

611832528_vJuBn-L.jpg

that hat is awesome!!!!

Just got back from spending a couple of hours walking around during the final practice round. Things were a little hectic, I don't think they had planned for me to be here early enough to go over. My contact at Bridgestone was able to get a ticket to Will Call for me, but I had to take a taxi which was a bit of a pain.

Other than that, it was fun. Got to see a couple of people I recognized and got a couple of pictures. I tried to get some at the practice green as well, but couldn't get as close as I'd have liked to. Gotta admit, the crowd waiting like vultures for Tiger to come out of the Pro Shop was annoying - mostly because they were blocking the only walkway to the practice green & range.

No pictures of the 2010 Bridgestone clubs, they won't be out on display until tomorrow when cameras aren't allowed on the course. I did run through a ball fitting. Turns out JB is a genius! He sent me the e7+ back in at the start of the year to try. Hit them on the monitor and got some good numbers. Then tried some other balls, including the B330 RX, and the e7+ came out the best fit. I'll redo it when they come nearby again this fall with my own driver, but that was a surprise. Also, found out the e7+ has a higher compression core than the B330 RX. Whodathunk?

Here are the pictures I was able to get. Just missed getting a nice closeup of Phil leaving in his Ford Edge, but I couldn't get the camera out fast enough while he was talking to the police officer in the clubhouse driveway.

DSCN0462.jpg

DSCN0461.jpg

DSCN0460.jpg

DSCN0459.jpg

DSCN0458.jpg

DSCN0457.jpg

Good pics Osahar! Have fun out there!

• Admin
That is great stuff Osahar. Glad you are having a blast. Now go hang out at the bar and meet some of the players...hehe

It would be even better if I could recognize some of these guys on sight other than Tiger and Phil. :blob:

• Admin
By the end of the weekend, you will know the entire field. Hope you are having a blast.

The key is to look for staff bags, follow the bag and try and look at the names on them if you figure out who the person is you will never forget them. It becomes a fun game. I hope you have a great time!!

My dad and I will be going Sunday- it's my early birthday present to him. Pretty excited- this is the first pro tournament I have been to since the last time the Senior US Open was at Canterbury- 2000ish.

I see those new Titleist irons are working for Adam Scott this week as he is +6 after 12 holes. Just kidding, I am not sure which irons he is playing.

Nice seeing Paddy put up a good round so far at -4. Tiger is in position at -2.

It just amazes me that almost every time these guys hit their first putt (and it doesn't really matter how long it is) to tap-in range.

Day Two is finished up. Got out to the course about 10:30 (the 9:00 shuttle left ahead of schedule!). Checked in with the Bridgestone VIP area in the clubhouse and picked up wristbands and met with Corey from Bridgestone. Watched Phil's group play on 16/17/18 after walking around a bit to familiarizt ourselves with the course some. Hit lunch in the VIP area and watched a few groups tee off from the deck overlooking the 1st tee. Saw Appleby/Poulter/Perez, YE Yang/AK/Wilson, Tiger/Pettersson/Sergio, and Casey/Zack/Goosen tee off then we followed Casey, Zack, and Goosen around through the 7th hole, occasionally moving to the next green to watch other come through until that trio caught up with us.

Was sad to watch Paul Casey withdraw after hitting his tee shot on the 7th. Looked like he pulled a muscle along his right ribcage, it was definitely hurting him. His caddie tossed the ball from the tee shot to a little kid along the ropes, and Casey signed it before the marshall drove him back to the clubhouse. Very cool, especially when many wouldn't have waited and left is disgust from being hurt.

About 4 we headed back to the VIP area and got to see Danny Lee stop by, and then Stewart Cink came in as a special guest after the rounds were over. Got his signature on my cap. :D

Learned a couple things today. These guys are AMAZING putters. They hit a 3 wood further than I hit my driver (304 yards...WTF!), and they ARE human and can make mistakes. Saw Paul Casey hit a short 25 yard chip to the green that had to cross a bunker. He hit it fat and only got halfway there. Reminded me of myself!

Oh, and I did get to see the 2010 Clubs. I also wiped the drool off them afterwards. They look great! Also found out who JB's "source" is. :D And yes, his source IS credible. I also realized that all these guys that Bridgestone had their as guests in the VIP area are some serious kleptos. All the hats, balls sleeves, and boxes left on the tables as decoration walked off during the day.

Also, I have a scoop that I don't think JB has even managed yet. There is a new Precept Lady IQ180 is getting updated to the Lady IQ 180 Plus. The core compression is getting lowered to 40, and the cover is changing to a seamless and softer material. Sounds like the ladies might like it even more than the current ball!

Great stuff Osahar. Glad to see the VIP tent is treating you right. We heard about the Lady ball about a month ago and should have samples coming soon. Thanks for bringing it up though, reminder for us to get on it.

GO have some fun and report back.

Osahar,

Glad you're having such a good time. I'm glad Corey and the gang are taking good care of you, also glad to hear you finally were ball-fit. When you get some time I'd like to hear more about your experience with the ball-fitting. What you thought of process, knowledge of fitters, etc. Hope you get to try the Coconut Cream Pie while you are at Firestone Country Club Clubhouse dining room. It was Nicklaus' favorite.

The weekend is coming upon us and we hope Osahar has a great time. Keep us up to date with the reports.

Osahar,

Glad you're having such a good time. I'm glad Corey and the gang are taking good care of you, also glad to hear you finally were ball-fit. When you get some time I'd like to hear more about your experience with the ball-fitting. What you thought of process, knowledge of fitters, etc. Hope you get to try the Coconut Cream Pie while you are at Firestone Country Club Clubhouse dining room. It was Nicklaus' favorite.

The fitting was pretty cool. I remember a little of the numbers. I used a J33R 8.5* Stiff driver, was 105.something mph head speed. Spin with the e7+ was around 2390 rpm. Can't remember any other numbers. After hitting a few that way, they had me try the B330 RX. Had more sidespin with that. I asked about a few of the "other" brand balls they had at the table to see how the numbers would look, but the fitter was sure the e7+ would be better and another fitter stepped in and emphasized that I should trust the one recommending the e7+. It felt a little rushed, but I can't blame them since the fittings were set up at the Welcome Center and lines could form pretty fast.

I'll do it again when they get back down in my part of Florida this fall to see how my Nickent 4DX Tour 9* Stiff performs.

Definitely do Osahar. I was able to compare about 5 different golf balls to the Bridgestone B330RX for me and none were close for my game.

Great times Osahar, Keep up the good reporting! Pics please!!!

Tiger even par today! :at-wits-end: Looks like tomorrow will HAVE to be moving day for him. Someone call Mayflower!!

Someone call Mayflower!!

Been a while since I heard that name! My dad used to work in their Kansas City office back in the '70s.

Well, Day 2 is finished. Got out to the course earlier today. Watched the morning groups starting on #1 tee off from the VIP room, then went down and followed Harrington/Verplank/S. Hansen around until they finished the front 9. Hit the VIP room again for lunch, then browsed through the Firestone Pro Shop a bit. Headed over to the ball fittings and my friend Steve got fit to the e6+. After finishing up there, back to the VIP room for some more water and sat at the 9th green grandstand to watch the afternoon groups coming in finish there. Watched Boo hole out from about 12 yards with a wedge, was a great shot.

After the golf finished up, we went back for the evening reception at the VIP room. Charles Howell III stopped in for a while. Got to talk to him a little and added his signature to the hat. Saw the head of Bridgestone Marketing in Japan (it sounds like the brand is HUGE over there!). Also watched the Bridgestone guys showing off the J38 line to Charles, including the staff bag. He looked like he wanted one. :D

No pictures anymore, from Thursday on it's no cell phones/cameras/etc. :sad:

Awesome report Osahar. Sounds like you are having a blast and taking full advantage of the VIP tent. Charles is a great guy from our brief time with him and the best part is, he is a club ho at heart like the best of us.

Back