WGC-Dell Match Play Thread (Spoilers)

There we go Brandt!

JB Holmes is getting wrecked! 5 dn through 7 !

JB Holmes is getting wrecked! 5 dn through 7 !

Dang and I was about to pick grillo as well. Wonder if it's him doing well or JB just struggling.

Its done for the fans, I get that, I just dont like it.
Could you imagine in the NCAA tournament, #1 seed goes down in the first round and then "Wait Wait Wait, they have a couple of more chances".

And done for the pros as well as getting the top names to play. Scott and Mickelson avoided Tucson because they had so many "one and dones".

TBH, the new format gives me no extra incentive to tune in today. The 1 and done years I'd have this on the second I was able to. Now not so much.

Yeah I don't care the format either.

uh oh...J Day just seemed to tweak his back and drove it wide left.

Oh uh Day is grabbing at his back, hope its nothing serious.

TBH, the new format gives me no extra incentive to tune in today. The 1 and done years I'd have this on the second I was able to. Now not so much.

Agreed.
Please tweet that.

Ricky's drive down that hill at like 410 was crazy long and crazy roll!

I think you could even see that in some of the player's attitudes today, joking around more, not as serious as 1 and done.

Totally agree, like the losers bracket in kickball

Looks like Day might have hurt his back again...

That's really bad news with Augusta only two weeks away.

Day's back is clearly bothering him, he looked super stiff on that approach shot.

I don't really get the issue with the round robin. How is it that much different than Thursday and Friday of a normal tournament? To me these couple days are just the players trying to make the cut and get to the elimination rounds.

JDay looks hosed. Limping on the left leg. Hope he can work it out and recover.

Charl says "shank you very much Danny Lee".

I don't really get the issue with the round robin. How is it that much different than Thursday and Friday of a normal tournament? To me these couple days are just the players trying to make the cut and get to the elimination rounds.

I think some people want to see the "drama" unfold early in the event where big names could be in danger of being one and done. I like this format because the weekend is when the "drama" starts.

For me, it added a huge level of excitement to day 1 or 2. It's not a regular tournament, it's match play. That was the point. Tuning in on Weds to see Tiger or Rory dueling with the #64 seed because they might be going home. Now that doesn't matter. It removes a layer of excitement from the get-go.

Because those days if you stink, you go home.
Match play is the different animal and the early rounds were actually so important and exciting.

If you were a big OSU state fan and they made it to the NCAA. And you beat Duke, and then they said "Wait wait wait, Duke has a couple of more tries" you might think it was kind of weak.

It would be different if the tour was not trying to promote it as bracketology and such.

I am watching and working. I am glad I am working because this is a snooze fest.

JDay wins it 3&2. Lucky for him he doesn't have to play the last couple holes.

Hopefully the trainers can get Day fixed up. Hate to see something serious this close to Augusta.

For me, it added a huge level of excitement to day 1 or 2. It's not a regular tournament, it's match play. That was the point. Tuning in on Weds to see Tiger or Rory dueling with the #64 seed because they might be going home. Now that doesn't matter. It removes a layer of excitement from the get-go.

I guess to me I still see the importance of the first rounds since you still have to win your group. It's the same thing that happens in the world cup. Losing your first match puts you in a decent hole to try and get out of since only one person makes it out.

Back