What’s going on in this video of Jordan Spieth?

My ideas:

1. Trying to kill a worm.
2. Testing turf interaction.
3. Trying to change lie angle (why would he do this when he could get it done with precision on the tour truck?)
4. Making it look like he’s hit loads of practice balls but really he’s off to the pub.
5. He heard that Ben Hogan said “the answer is in the dirt” and he’s looking for it.

I had a few guesses, then his caddie got involved and it became no idea again.

Whac-a-mole?

I did some reading and it sounds like the top level of sod was very hard and should have been watered. It's reported that several pros did this to get rid of the hard sod so not to injure themselves. Apparently when they took a normal shot the club was sticking into the hard sod and not tossing a divot as normal. By clearing the hard sod they could put the ball on the edge of the sod and swing down into the under layer in front that they created by removing the turf. Not sure if this is 100% true but read it a few places and saw pictures of other pros doing the exact same thing.

There must be a tactical reason if he had his caddie and other pro's are doint this and what @93civiccpe read certainly sounds plausible.

I saw this yesterday or two days ago or something. I assumed he just got frustrated with that deep shot he took and decided to take it out on the turf.

Normally I would say I'm worried about his club breaking, but I guess at his level he has spare clubs that are identical in case something like that happens.

I thought he was trying to get a feel for hitting down and through the ball.

I guess we found who did this:

So If I'm doing that it's because i've been knifing it around lately and want to make myself hit down and take a divot.

If he's doing it it's gotta be something like turf interaction or lie-testing to see if the heel is catching first or something. Odd how Grellar gets in on it too.

So If I'm doing that it's because i've been knifing it around lately and want to make myself hit down and take a divot.

If he's doing it it's gotta be something like turf interaction or lie-testing to see if the heel is catching first or something. Odd how Grellar gets in on it too.
I'm not sure if you saw my earlier post but there's evidence out there that this was done to remove hard sod which wasn't watered to prevent injury when warming up. He wasn't the only pro who did it.

what ever it is, it's going to heal way before the rest of that course they destroyed by putting the driving range and merchandise tent and volunteer center on it.

I'm not sure if you saw my earlier post but there's evidence out there that this was done to remove hard sod which wasn't watered to prevent injury when warming up. He wasn't the only pro who did it.

Ahh that makes sense, thank you. I skimmed through the thread and missed that. This was going on at the Dell Match play a few years ago during a dry spring in TX. Saw a few guys getting rid of areas, and even some guys dinging the ground and propping the ball on the makeshift "tee" (Jason Day).

Yeah that turf practically looks like hardpan. I wouldn't want to keep bouning my irons off that on a range either.

Back