What’s more important the Wood Head or Shaft?

Wood Head or Shaft, which is more important?

• Wood Head

Votes: 21 48.8%
  • Correct Shaft

Votes: 22 51.2%

• Total voters
I'd have to confirm when I go home, but I think both weights are positioned all the way back and right (14g) and left (10g). Shaft is turned to 1.5° open face.
Why not put the weights forward and left and why not raise the the loft 2° and close the face?

I have read all arguments and come to a conclusion....They're both important.

There is no doubt they are both important. I was playing with someone yesterday and they had recently purchased a new driver, however, they were not happy with it. They had mentioned they should never have switched from one brand to another. The biggest complaint was the lack of distance.

So, I was watching the flight of the ball and notice the height was much more than previous. In trying different shafts, I have found a lower trajectory shaft works better for me. I gave him my driver to see, but I use a regular flex versus his stiff. Yet, the ball did seem to have more distance.

That is what got me thinking maybe shaft could be more important. Would you be better off paying the extra for a finely tuned shaft that was fitted for you and less on the head or spend the money on the head and take a stock shaft?

There is no doubt they are both important. I was playing with someone yesterday and they had recently purchased a new driver, however, they were not happy with it. They had mentioned they should never have switched from one brand to another. The biggest complaint was the lack of distance.

So, I was watching the flight of the ball and notice the height was much more than previous. In trying different shafts, I have found a lower trajectory shaft works better for me. I gave him my driver to see, but I use a regular flex versus his stiff. Yet, the ball did seem to have more distance.

That is what got me thinking maybe shaft could be more important. Would you be better off paying the extra for a finely tuned shaft that was fitted for you and less on the head or spend the money on the head and take a stock shaft?
In general, the head makes the most dramatic difference. Big changes (loft/weight/shape) come from the head. Fine tuning comes from the shaft.

A properly fit head, with a properly fit shaft, is glorious.

Shaft for me 100%. I’m a high spin ball hitter and the shaft makes way more of a difference on this issue than a head does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know it doesn't answer the OP's question. But by a long shot, and as someone who always self-fits, I've always preferred to find a good clubhead and then mate a good fit wrt shaft vs vice versa.

If the head of the club looks off to me at address it's a "no go"

So, I guess the visual aspect is the most important to me knowing that I can always play around with different shafts.

I think head, at least with driver. If I pick from standard shaft offerings, I can be happy enough. But I have learned that among head options I need to be more thoughtful in selection.

Shaft for me 100%. I’m a high spin ball hitter and the shaft makes way more of a difference on this issue than a head does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so you’re saying a xxio prime head vs a taylormade sldr will make less of a difference than a bassara shaft vs hulk shaft in the same head?

i’m flabbergasted by this thread. truly. when even the shaft companies tell you head is more important (@DannyLe @DB TT ), i would have thought people would pay attention. wow.

i’m flabbergasted by this thread. truly. when even the shaft companies tell you head is more important (@DannyLe @DB TT ), i would have thought people would pay attention. wow.
Me too. I'm sitting here at the turn reading this and people can probably see my wide eyed reactions on hole 11.

And whoever it was that said TXG said it's the shaft, needs to pay more attention to what Ian says and does, because that's just not true.

This. But, As wild as it is to some of us, there are those who don’t even venture into those live threads or watch any of the videos THP creates. To each their own, absolutely, but when the shaft companies are telling you how critical the head is comparatively, I tend to listen.

I blame those Jacked Loft threads. 😉

I always felt the driver was the biggest changing piece when getting fit, then you fine tuned the ball flight with different shafts. Now changing a shaft vs the driver head may be easier for some since it’s cheaper for most shaft options, then it’s a quick tip and grip and you’re good to go. If I was able to buy and try multiple heads with the same shaft I would go that route instead.

Had my local fitter, who is one of America’s Top 100 according to Golf Digest, say the shaft is “everything.” He said the shaft is “the engine” like in a car. If you have a Lamborghini with a terrible/incorrect engine, then it’s not going to work. On the flip side, if you have a regular old car with a high performance engine, then it’s going to haul a**. Same concept with a golf shaft according to him. Great head but wrong shaft equals poor results, while a used or average head with the correct shaft for your swing produces good results. He put me in shafts for my driver and irons that I would’ve NEVER thought were right for me, and the results have been mind blowing.

I asked this very question when I was selected to attend the hand crafted event 2 years ago and heard the answer direct from the horse’s mouth!!!!!
People are entitled to believe what they want to believe, and if they think they are getting significant changes by changing the shaft, then I guess that’s no bad thing.

He said the shaft is “the engine” like in a car. If you have a Lamborghini with a terrible/incorrect engine, then it’s not going to work. On the flip side, if you have a regular old car with a high performance engine, then it’s going to haul a**

........until you reach a corner and plough straight off the road into a hedge LOL.

Me too. I'm sitting here at the turn reading this and people can probably see my wide eyed reactions on hole 11.

And whoever it was that said TXG said it's the shaft, needs to pay more attention to what Ian says and does, because that's just not true.
I already acknowledged I could have misheard.

Back