What’s New: 2020 Callaway Chrome Soft Hits Retail

TT on the regular Chromesoft, YAY!

Up to 7 yards longer on the CSX model is uh.. long. That’s a huge number.

i think it’s important for people to recognize the speed at which the number improvements are given. it’s helpful in knowing which golfer each ball is y’all targeted to.

I'm excited for the new Chrome Soft X and will be putting them into play as soon as I can.
I'm looking for speed and spin and it sounds like Callaway has that recipe.

Whoa, looks like they have a lot going on at Callaway in the ball department. Hopefully some of the reviews on here will simplify the info for us

I won’t lie, having played both a fair amount, I always found it hard to differentiate between CS and CSX

because they were basically the same ball, one just felt firmer. now we have intentional product design differentiation to avoid confusion and meet different needs for different golfers.

i’m glad we have our staff writers because this stuff is way too technical for me to understand and communicate. i can come in and say “ball go far” and “ball spin” but that’s pretty much it haha

You are selling yourself way too short, my friend.

I did not have a great swing going out west, but my biggest takeaway thus far with the new ball is the feel. The CS20 is a touch firmer, and to my mind, felt a bit more like the Zstar, which is a very good thing, IMO. It’s also substantially longer! Can’t wait to dig in to this more!

Finally!! So excited to talk about these new golf balls!!! And very anxious to get my hands on some new CSX

Solid article and breakdown of the key points.

One thing that stood out to us (and has been with all OEM's THP interacts with) is the transparency with which @JasonFinleyCG addressed the "cutting" issues and the QC that was already in place. Many think that the internet pitchforks forced Callaway's hand to fix the issue, and that's not the case. Could they have gotten ahead of it, maybe, but the story here is they were already planning to update a very old facility in Chicopee.

I think this lineup will help those CS players find a better footing on which one worked. The previous versions played a little too similar (save spin) for most and made it hard to lock in on one or the other. I think those that take the time (like any other golf ball) will find a great option with this release.

I have some thoughts from the ball I've been playing, but I still want some on course data to prove somethings out.

Did everyone play the 2020 CS at the Grandaddy?
I believe so yes. Since the 2020 CSX wasn’t available to us at the time, a few guys got the 2019 X Version but not sure if anyone put it in play.

Whoa, looks like they have a lot going on at Callaway in the ball department. Hopefully some of the reviews on here will simplify the info for us

And the year of the ball continues. No wonder Lefty is hitting bombs off the tee. (y)

Another great article, James.

I wonder what "up to 7 yards further with higher swing speeds" means. How fast does one have to be able to move the driver to see this distance gain, other factors being optimal. 7 yards is significant.

I also wonder how the 2 balls will compare out on the course. CS is longer through the bag, but CSX if longer off the driver, but more consistent on other shots. Does that mean the spin is more consistent with the CSX? Does it mean launch is more consistent, but perhaps less ball speed with irons? I am not sure what to make of it.

@JasonFinleyCG addressed the "cutting" issues and the QC that was already in place. Many think that the internet pitchforks forced Callaway's hand to fix the issue, and that's not the case. Could they have gotten ahead of it, maybe, but the story here is they were already planning to update a very old facility in Chicopee.

I want to reiterate this. Callaway has been investing millions in upgrading and improving their ball plant in Massachusetts for a few years now (50 million to be exact). It had absolutely nothing to do with someone cutting open a golf ball and complaining of quality control.

Although it was very convenient for an internet site to make that claim :unsure:

Like that they worked to make the balls different.
So is Yellow only available as TT or Truvis in either ball?

I thought @JB was the one looking into self cloning. Apparently it was @Jman who succeeded with yet another excellent write up this morning!

Just OK, like the commercial. That’s been my view on Chrome soft balls. Fine to play. I simply liked other balls better. I will check these out but the excitement level is lower. Maybe I will very surprised. I will keep an open mind.

Is CS direct competitor to ProV1? I had a ball fitting and want to compare the Callaway ball that is closest to what i was fitted.

i think it’s important for people to recognize the speed at which the number improvements are given. it’s helpful in knowing which golfer each ball is y’all targeted to.

I agree, thus up to 7yds. If you can’t compress it, you’ll probably wind up losing yardage.

Great review @Jman !! I have always enjoyed the CS, but have mainly played another ball the past year or so. I don't know if that changes, but I am certainly looking forward to trying the new CS especially now that I will be able to get yellow with the Triple Track. I really liked it on the ERC, but didn't love that ball so much.

Back