What’s New: 2020 Callaway Chrome Soft Hits Retail

GolferGal

Chick Norris
Boss Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf
A few months ago, a group of forum members got a chance to head to California and more specifically Callaway Golf HQ for a trip of a lifetime. During that visit, they learned about the new Chrome Soft line of golf balls and immediately put them into play. Since that time the reviews have been posted on the THP Forum and you can read all of those here.

The Chrome Soft hits retail today and we wanted to dive in a little deeper to not only the technology that makes them different, but also what golfers should expect to see on the golf course. We chatted with Jason Finley, Director of Brand and Product Management about the specs, the story and most importantly the expectations of...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
yes!!! time to talk golf balls. lots of info coming your way.

Lots of detail James! Looks like this release is more than a simple evolution, particularly for the X model. More speed is something we can all get excited about.

In terms of ball flight, would it be fair to assume that the CS is the higher launching model, while the X is possibly higher spinning?

yes!!! time to talk golf balls. lots of info coming your way.
I’ve no doubt, hopefully people still take a peak at the release article too, this one was a ton of fun to write.

I’ve traditionally preferred the CSX over the CS, but something tells me with this larger differentiation, I’m going to firmly be fit into the CS in this new iteration. And I don’t have to decide between playing the standard CS and having triple track, which is nice.

I’m really intrigued to try these out on the course once things warm up.

I’ve traditionally preferred the CSX over the CS, but something tells me with this larger differentiation, I’m going to firmly be fit into the CS in this new iteration. And I don’t have to decide between playing the standard CS and having triple track, which is nice.

I’m really intrigued to try these out on the course once things warm up.
I really like that differentiation is their goal here, and there no longer a similar ball, but very different designs.

I really like that differentiation is their goal here, and there no longer a similar ball, but very different designs.

It makes a ton of sense to me - especially with the addition of the ERC, you’re now able to target three types of golfers with premium balls with very different characteristics. Seems like it will be better for fitting.

While I think the CS will be a better ball for me, I bet with the firmer mantle and thin cover that CSX is ridiculous around the green.

I love the added differentiation between the CS and CSX. I guess I’ll snag a sleeve up of both to see what that difference does for my game. I’m curious how Team THP was fit for this ball.

Very interesting. I’ve never been a CSX player, and I don’t think that changes this release, but the CS will definitely get a trial run this year. Looks like some very solid improvements, including the addition of Triple Track.

TT on the regular Chromesoft, YAY!

Up to 7 yards longer on the CSX model is uh.. long. That’s a huge number.

Interesting step in the right direction.... so @Jman, between the CSX and the new Bridgestone ball, which one could you see going into the bag in 2020?

Interesting step in the right direction.... so @Jman, between the CSX and the new Bridgestone ball, which one could you see going into the bag in 2020?
Haven’t worked with them....yet. :p

These are just releases with all the info for the people, rests assured feedback will be aplenty though, as I’m a golf ball hoarder.:oops:

I am really glad to hear CSX is finally going to be its own ball.

I won’t lie, having played both a fair amount, I always found it hard to differentiate between CS and CSX

Great article James

I am really glad to hear CSX is finally going to be its own ball.

I won’t lie, having played both a fair amount, I always found it hard to differentiate between CS and CSX

Great article James
I think that was the consensus by many, and Callaway believes part of why the CS outsells the CSX so much. By differentiating I think they’re aiming at some of the V1x pie as well as the V1 now.

Let the year of the golf ball begin!

The CSX sounds like a must try for me this year

I will be giving the CSX a try. I like the idea of TT. Prior I just felt the ball to be to soft so this may just be the answer.

Good article on the homepage and I love that they are setting their sights on not only retaining #2 position, but taking on #1. That is a tall task. Am I right in thinking that it is as simple as ERC is their version of AVX, Chromesoft competes with ProV1 and CSX competes with v1x?

I am sure it isn’t all that simple. I only tried Callaway balls after Triple Track and don’t know a lot about their history. I played Titleist up until last year and it was a Bridgestone/Callaway 2019 for me.

Beyond the ball, I like that Callaway is investing in the process of manufacturing the ball and keeping in the U.S.A. They have added processes that address the off center core, which gives me confidence as a consumer, if I had any doubt, that they will work to mitigate any problems their customers have. Great move by Callaway, IMO, and can't wait to see if it pays off.

So here is my question. Wasn't the CSX TT that was released last year different from the 2018 CSX? If so, is the CSX talked about in the article what we are going to see now as the standard? I ask this bc I had never liked the CSX and when I tried the CSX TT I fell in love. It felt like a completely different ball. I noticed nothing about the evolution of the CSX to CSX TT was mentioned so just wondering.

I will be giving the CSX a try. I like the idea of TT. Prior I just felt the ball to be to soft so this may just be the answer.

FWIW, TT was offered in the CSX last year.

Cool thing is this year it’ll be on ERC, CSX, aaaaand the CS ?

Been a truvis player the last couple years.....going to be looking hard at the CS TT. Need to make more putts!!

So here is my question. Wasn't the CSX TT that was released last year different from the 2018 CSX? If so, is the CSX talked about in the article what we are going to see now as the standard? I ask this bc I had never liked the CSX and when I tried the CSX TT I fell in love. It felt like a completely different ball. I noticed nothing about the evolution of the CSX to CSX TT was mentioned so just wondering.
No, it’s not the same ball to my knowledge.

I’m looking forward to testing out both balls this year. The CSX TT has been my go to, but considering these changes I’ll give both a go. Looking forward to reading feedback from The Grandaddy team on the new balls.

No, it’s not the same ball to my knowledge.
So was the CSX TT that was released last year just a different iteration of the CSX that was just not released to the public? If that's so, is that option still going to be available to the public?

I’ve no doubt, hopefully people still take a peak at the release article too, this one was a ton of fun to write.

i’m glad we have our staff writers because this stuff is way too technical for me to understand and communicate. i can come in and say “ball go far” and “ball spin” but that’s pretty much it haha

Back