What’s the best driving

Oleschool

Reaction score
What’s the best philosophy or method for driving?

"Yeah, keep your eyes on the road, your hand upon the wheel"

The Doors - Roadhouse Blues :laughing:

"The best defense is a good offense. Don't tell your mom I said that."

-my dad

Driving philosophy

Finesse / feel / flow
Not trying to kill it or crush it or even to hit the ball, I don’t even think of the ball, it does not exist, it just gets in the way.

I’m trying to perform a beautiful swing that feels good.

Tee up in the front of my stance

Tee it up on tall tees

One piece takeaway
Lag
Square up at Release
Complete follow thru turning body to face the target
Being a right handed player and the ball naturally tending down the left side of the fairway cos the swing is right to left I aim down the right side of the fairway. Thanks
What’s you’re method?

Decide on shot.
Line up according to physical and condition needs to hit shot.
Picture target, visualize shot.
Hit shot.

I will focus on a thing or two mechanically to hit that specific shot, but in general I definitely do not think about lag or follow through. I'm not really a takeaway guy either. I want to be where I want to be at the top and at impact.

My general philosophy is to focus on contact and flight, build to speed, and in a tight spot or heavy wind, swing easier not harder. Hitting the windows is more important than 2 mph.

Roy:
"What Is The Golf Swing," by Roy McAvoy? Well, I tend to think of the golf swing as a poem.

Romeo:
Ooh, he's doing that poetry thing again.

Roy:
The critical opening phrase of this poem will always be the grip. The hands unite to form a single unit by the simple overlap of the little finger.

Molly:
Right.

Roy:
Lowly and slowly, the clubhead is led back, pulled into position not by the hands, but by the body, which turns away from the target, shifting weight to the right side without shifting balance. Tempo is everything; perfection unobtainable as the body coils down at the top of the swing. There's a slight hesitation. A little nod to the gods...

Molly:
A, a nod to the gods?

Roy:
Yeah, to the gods. That he is fallible. That perfection is unobtainable. And now the weight begins shifting back to the left pulled by the powers inside the earth, it's alive, this swing! A living sculpture and down through contact, always down, striking the ball crisply, with character. A tuning fork goes off in your loins. Such a pure feeling is the well-struck golf shot. And then the follow through to finish. Always on line. The reverse C of the Golden Bear! The steel workers' power and brawn of Carl Sandburg's Arnold Palmer!

Romeo:
Ohh, he's doing that Arnold Palmer thing.

Roy:
And then the unfinished symphony of Roy McAvoy.

Molly:
What's unfinished?

Roy:
Well, I have a short follow-through. It has an unfinished look...

Molly:
Why?

Roy:
Well, some say it's the easiest way to play in the winds of west Texas...some say it's because I never finish anything in my life. You can decide. But the point is...every finishing position is unique. That's what the golf swing's about. It's about gaining control of your life and...letting go at the same time.

Molly:
Jeez Louise.

Roy:
There's only one other acceptable theory about how to hit the ball.

Molly:
Oh, boy, well, I'm afraid to ask. What is it?

Roy:
Grip it and rip it.

😂😂
Roy:
"What Is The Golf Swing," by Roy McAvoy? Well, I tend to think of the golf swing as a poem.

Romeo:
Ooh, he's doing that poetry thing again.

Roy:
The critical opening phrase of this poem will always be the grip. The hands unite to form a single unit by the simple overlap of the little finger.

Molly:
Right.

Roy:
Lowly and slowly, the clubhead is led back, pulled into position not by the hands, but by the body, which turns away from the target, shifting weight to the right side without shifting balance. Tempo is everything; perfection unobtainable as the body coils down at the top of the swing. There's a slight hesitation. A little nod to the gods...

Molly:
A, a nod to the gods?

Roy:
Yeah, to the gods. That he is fallible. That perfection is unobtainable. And now the weight begins shifting back to the left pulled by the powers inside the earth, it's alive, this swing! A living sculpture and down through contact, always down, striking the ball crisply, with character. A tuning fork goes off in your loins. Such a pure feeling is the well-struck golf shot. And then the follow through to finish. Always on line. The reverse C of the Golden Bear! The steel workers' power and brawn of Carl Sandburg's Arnold Palmer!

Romeo:
Ohh, he's doing that Arnold Palmer thing.

Roy:
And then the unfinished symphony of Roy McAvoy.

Molly:
What's unfinished?

Roy:
Well, I have a short follow-through. It has an unfinished look...

Molly:
Why?

Roy:
Well, some say it's the easiest way to play in the winds of west Texas...some say it's because I never finish anything in my life. You can decide. But the point is...every finishing position is unique. That's what the golf swing's about. It's about gaining control of your life and...letting go at the same time.

Molly:
Jeez Louise.

Roy:
There's only one other acceptable theory about how to hit the ball.

Molly:
Oh, boy, well, I'm afraid to ask. What is it?

Roy:
Grip it and rip it.
🤣🤣😂

The swing only lasts for a second or two so I don’t think it’s possible to think you’re way thru it, that’s why I say feel you’re way thru, simply to perform a beautiful swing and the ball gets in the way

The swing only lasts for a second or two so I don’t think it’s possible to think you’re way thru it, that’s why I say feel you’re way thru, simply to perform a beautiful swing and the ball gets in the way
I agree, for if we agree muscle memory exists , the anatomy will go where it’s preprogrammed too go. I reckon that’s why practise of stroke takes a while to be ingrained in muscles and also exhibited change in technique . You can have a thought that you prefer but instant results won’t immediately follow.

All of my swings are beautiful , although some less captivating than others 🤣🤣🤣

🎼 if you like that then your shoulda put a swing on it ‘

ooh ohh oh ooo o oo oh......

Beyonce ‘ style 🤭😆🤣🏌🏼

"Green means go. Red means stop. Yellow means go very fast." Starman.

when I try to rip it or crush it or kill I tend to hit at the ball and down on the ball, I want to hit up with an ascending blow
Move the ball forward in your stance. That might help. Or cause a slice... or shank. Never know 'til you try:ROFLMAO:

"Green means go. Red means stop. Yellow means go very fast." Starman.

Move the ball forward in your stance. That might help. Or cause a slice... or shank. Never know 'til you try:ROFLMAO:

I do tee it up forward in my stance and high but I don’t like to think about the ball at all just feel a beautiful swing and the ball just got in the way, I could be wrong

Swing the club toward the target, as opposed to trying to hit the ball.

Get setup/aligned, visualize path of golf club, full backswing, hips start downswing, no hands......ball gone.

I've heard "just swing. The ball gets in the way"... I've had that happen a few times. It's intoxicating when that happens and keeps me coming back to golf trying to hit more.

Others have said this: Swing the club and let the ball get in the way.

I'm also a fan of Julius Boros: Swing easy, hit hard.

See ball, hit ball, go find ball. Otherwise know as the KISS method.

Depends on the course and what your strengths are. Bomb and gouge if your course and skills allow for it. Hit 3-wood or a cut down driver if your course is tight and fairways are a must. Bomb it over corners or shape it around doglegs, again depending on the course and skill level.

Lots of ways to approach tee shots!

Depends on the course and what your strengths are. Bomb and gouge if your course and skills allow for it. Hit 3-wood or a cut down driver if your course is tight and fairways are a must. Bomb it over corners or shape it around doglegs, again depending on the course and skill level.

Lots of ways to approach tee shots!

stands to reason
Why pattyboy?
Irish or you maybe like to wear pink panties? Lol

Back