What’s The Holdup?

Grand Stranded

Keep grinding… you never know
Reaction score
Handicap
I was in a local PGASS yesterday and asked about a PING driver. I was told not to expect delivery until September. I mean, really? What is going on with them?
It’s funny, I’m on golf message boards all the time. I get bombarded every morning with emails from GolfWeek, Golfwrx and Golf Digest talking about the most mundane of issues, yet nobody gives us any information on why and how long OEM’s will be affected due to supply chain issues, and/or when the situation might ease up. Everyone turns a blind eye.
It was near closing time in the store and I’m friends with a lot of the managers and employees since we play in a top secret “after hour“ 🙄 simulator league together one night each week. We were all hanging around talking about this, and these are some things I heard.
PING had a disastrous loss of components when they lost two shipping containers full of components (assuming Sues Canal related)
Callaway is running out of golf balls because they can’t get the supplies they need to manufacture them.
Obviously those two could be hearsay, but this one I know is true…
Titleist sent their last shipment of SM8 wedges to the SS without grips. They told the retailers to install whatever grip the customer wanted,free, and to bill them. They would absorb the cost. The problem is…. apparently there is now a rubber shortage, and even a chain as big as the PGASS is running low on grips.
I’m sure every other OEM is having issues also, yet the Golf media seems to turn a blind eye to them, seemingly content to only report feel good stories of “more people playing than ever before” and “record profits”. Those two are great for the industry, but aren’t they ignoring the elephant in the room? Why aren’t we hearing anyone talk more about these supply chain/shortage issues?

On a related note, you *really* do not want to be starting any home construction or renovation projects right now.

Having to keep using last year's driver for the rest of the summer isn't nearly as annoying as having your master bathroom sit half-finished for an extra couple months waiting on some kind of pipe fitting, roll of vapor barrier or random doohickey. And the random, almost weekly price increases...ay caramba!

With relation to Reno work , we have timber shortage in building trades, in Australia at the moment that there maybe a multitude of reasons why but the shortage is causing price increases also.

As for golf product shortages , yes agree looks equally a shortage in supply chains exacerbated by, COVID and economic shutdown of manufacturing etc,worldwide May take some time to soak up the thirst for product additonalky with newer golfers taking up the sport. Upside there may also be plenty of cheaper clubs etc on the market, in the months to come when they work out it’s a game no one can master lol 😆

On a related note, you *really* do not want to be starting any home construction or renovation projects right now.

Having to keep using last year's driver for the rest of the summer isn't nearly as annoying as having your master bathroom sit half-finished for an extra couple months waiting on some kind of pipe fitting, roll of vapor barrier or random doohickey. And the random, almost weekly price increases...ay caramba!
You really dont want to be starting ANY construction project right now. Structural steel is on months long lead times, roof deck isn't available for 2021 delivery and unless you are Amazon, good luck getting steel joists until April 2022. It is madness, and we are getting pushed to redesign projects for materials that are available, and even that isnt helping much.

I'm honestly a little bit surprised that we haven't seen the steel price increases across the industry get passed down to golf club purchases yet.

Here in the UK, the cost of some building materials has tripled. I know people who have bought really run down properties or properties they planned to extend and renovate who now can’t afford to do so 🤦🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️.

I hope this isn't construed as a political comment but there's a lot of "stimulus" money chasing goods with a decimated supply chain. It doesn't take a PhD in economics to figure out that is going to result in a) inflation and b) shortages of goods.

You really dont want to be starting ANY construction project right now. Structural steel is on months long lead times, roof deck isn't available for 2021 delivery and unless you are Amazon, good luck getting steel joists until April 2022. It is madness, and we are getting pushed to redesign projects for materials that are available, and even that isnt helping much.

I'm honestly a little bit surprised that we haven't seen the steel price increases across the industry get passed down to golf club purchases yet.
I can't speak to steel, but yes, new construction homes in the SC/Charleston area, I saw on advertised that my wife and I were/are interested in - won't be completed (if it completes on time) until SPRING 2022. Why bother advertising now at all?

I had to stop halfway through the article to compliment both you, and THP for that story. It’s the first time I’ve seen it and the first time I’ve seen anyone go so deeply into the subject.
Very nice job. 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
Truly appreciate the kind words! Thank you!

I can't speak to steel, but yes, new construction homes in the SC/Charleston area, I saw on advertised that my wife and I were/are interested in - won't be completed (if it completes on time) until SPRING 2022. Why bother advertising now at all?
They honestly can't wait longer if they expect to get it done by spring. Between design time, and lumber lead times/prices, it is the reality of all construction right now. And it is hitting golf just as hard.

Steel in general is being hit HARD. I sell equipment completely made with steel & instead of our usual 30-45 pricing validity to end users, we're looking at 7-10 days. Fabrication times are heavily extended, can't roll steel you don't have. It's crazy.

I work in manufacturing, and we are having to engage in bidding wars just for our containers to get on ships. Plus, pay a premium on our shipping costs. There's simply too much backlog for everything to get on to the water. In addition, my father-in-law is in the trucking business, and there is a huge lack of drivers right now.

There's no mystery, it's just another ripple effect of the C-19.

I work in manufacturing, and we are having to engage in bidding wars just for our containers to get on ships. Plus, pay a premium on our shipping costs. There's simply too much backlog for everything to get on to the water. In addition, my father-in-law is in the trucking business, and there is a huge lack of drivers right now.

There's no mystery, it's just another ripple effect of the C-19.
It’s not that simple.
Then why are some companies (Callaway and PXG for example) shipping product in a timely fashion, while others such as Ping and Cleveland unable to do so?

It’s not that simple.
Then why are some companies (Callaway and PXG for example) shipping product in a timely fashion, while others such as Ping and Cleveland unable to do so?
Because the particular products they have were either already on hand or the necessary bits have arrived. It all depends on when the particular containers happen to arrive. It isn't like all shipping from Asia is cut off. It's that the shipping times are much slower and extremely variable.

There have been threads on this and other forums where someone ordered a set of irons and got them in 2 months, another person orders the exact same irons a month earlier except with a different model grip or a different flex shaft and they are still waiting 8 months later.

Callaway has easily been the best for us when ordering clubs. With that being said every time I place an order I have to call a few days later to find out which component in on back order and its usually grips and shafts. I then have to switch to something comparable to get the clubs shipped in a timely manner.

It’s not that simple.
Well, that’s straight from our company president, so , it probably is that simple.

Back